Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions on setting up charging for my Tesla Model Y 2023 - LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good Morning all ,

I have order TMYLR and pending my deliver. I live in SOCAL as a tenant. I have been looking for a charging solution at home. I have attached some picture of my unit panel; I did consulted with some local electrician to evaluate the panel/ braker ( which is 50 AMPS ) most of them suggesting to upgrade the whole panel.

It’s impossible for to invest $6k( that was the quote ) in a renal house and for obvious reason my landlord has no reason to update the panel for me nor willing to split the cost.

This is totally new for me and needs of your advice/suggestion apart from regular outlet charging , do I have an option for NEMA 6-15or 6-20.

Note : I have attached picture of the outlet is in my kitchen which looks like 6-20( i may be wrong ) this is being used for my microwave, I have gas washer and dryer no AC in my unit. Front unit panel is mine.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 211
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 152
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 143
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 148
Based on the pictures you provided, I don’t think you have many cost effective options for a high amperage plug. It’s hard to tell anything really except it’s old and has been retrofit with many subpanels along the way. And honestly due for replacing if you want to utilize it for more than it’s utilitarian design. It already looks like a fire hazard and I don’t really see how you can swap things around or make room when the panel only has slots for 4 breakers.

I really feel like there’s a service entrance panel or something we’re no seeing that you might be able to use? Where is the meter?

Are either or those panels near where you park? You could try to intercept the feed into the old 4 breaker panel on the wall, install a sub panel, and then feed the old panel and your charger.

I assume you’re in the front unit since you don’t have A/C? If so, that looks like a sub panel of the main disconnect, but could be passed through from somewhere else.

That’s okay. An industrial grade one would be better. Single outlet if you can spare the space.

Upvote 0
Thank you, that’s my best option . Will one these
work :

Yes. Be sure to use the screw down terminals on the side of the receptacle to secure the wires. (The push-in connectors on the rear of the receptacle should only be used if the receptacle will be used to provide power for a table lamp, alarm clock etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Upvote 0
I didn't see if this had already been discussed, but I would also ask your landlord if either EV charging retrofits or possibly a shared charger in the complex you live might be something that they are considering as EV's become more common. If nothing else, it will put the thought in their minds and might lead to action later despite if anything happens now.

Reactions: mspohr
Upvote 0
It looks like 50 amps is for the whole unit is my guess. With AC it's going to be difficult to have much extra. You'd need to do a load calc to do it right. What you have in your kitchen is 5-20, which is a 120v 20 amp plug. If somehow you could plug into that it will give you about 7 mph charge rate. I think your best chance would be to somehow be able to squeeze a 6-20 circuit in there somewhere and get it wired where you park, but I can't tell from the pictures if you have any extra slots or not and you'd still need to have a load calculation done. This is a good example of the crux of electric vehicles for a lot of people... I would ask your electrician specifically about adding a 6-20 (which mind you isn't fantastic but it gets the job done).
He does not have AC

Upvote 0
Good Morning all ,

I have order TMYLR and pending my deliver. I live in SOCAL as a tenant. I have been looking for a charging solution at home. I have attached some picture of my unit panel; I did consulted with some local electrician to evaluate the panel/ braker ( which is 50 AMPS ) most of them suggesting to upgrade the whole panel.

It’s impossible for to invest $6k( that was the quote ) in a renal house and for obvious reason my landlord has no reason to update the panel for me nor willing to split the cost.

This is totally new for me and needs of your advice/suggestion apart from regular outlet charging , do I have an option for NEMA 6-15or 6-20.

Note : I have attached picture of the outlet is in my kitchen which looks like 6-20( i may be wrong ) this is being used for my microwave, I have gas washer and dryer no AC in my unit. Front unit panel is mine.
You have a Homeline Square D 2 pole 50A breaker in that panel, you can replace that breaker with a quad breaker that is 2 x 2 pole breakers (one of them that would replace the 50A and the other a 20A or you could use a 30A and 20A combo so as not to risk pulling too much of a load, depending on the service wire to the sub, you would then be able to run some 12/2 bx cable (armored cable) to a 6-20 nema outlet for a 16A 240v level 2 charge rate and get approx. 15 miles of range added per hour of charge.

Upvote 0
You have a Homeline Square D 2 pole 50A breaker in that panel, you can replace that breaker with a quad breaker that is 2 x 2 pole breakers (one of them that would replace the 50A and the other a 20A or you could use a 30A and 20A combo so as not to risk pulling too much of a load, depending on the service wire to the sub, you would then be able to run some 12/2 bx cable (armored cable) to a 6-20 nema outlet for a 16A 240v level 2 charge rate and get approx. 15 miles of range added per hour of charge.
Nice suggestion!! Either breaker would probably work. And that 50A panel location is probably closer to where a car would be.

The MC cable is fine IF the cable isn’t used where it could get wet. If it could get rained upon, then you’d be better off using UF cable, which is also available at the big box stores (at least at Lowe’s).

Upvote 0
Thank you so much, I will call some electrician discuss this idea. Unfortunately all of the electrician are interested or said – change the whole panner will cost you $6k. I was like are there other way. So Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Upvote 0