Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon crashing into garage door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
California
It's true that Summon is still in beta and owners are responsible if an accident happens.

Would someone care to speculate how 2017 AP2 Model X decided to crash into a garage door during a summon.

When the owner was in front of the car, the car seemed to detect that and stopped just fine.

When the door rolled down below the level of headlights, it some how still crashed into the garage door.

Could it be that the door material didn't bounce back ultrasonic signals?

upload_2017-8-31_14-54-44.png

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
In my research on Tesla before ordering mine a month ago, it was disappointing to learn how unreliable Summon actually is in these scenarios. My garage will be a tight fit getting in and being able to use Summon reliably would be of great help, but obviously it's not ready. Regular parking will have to do.

Shame how some (non-Tesla) people claim it can get you in and out of tight parking spots. Perhaps in an open lot with only cars next to you, but doing so with a garage is apparently on a whole other level.

I don't expect it to improve anytime soon.

In my research on Tesla before ordering mine a month ago, it was disappointing to learn how unreliable Summon actually is in these scenarios. My garage will be a tight fit getting in and being able to use Summon reliably would be of great help, but obviously it's not ready. Regular parking will have to do.

Shame how some (non-Tesla) people claim it can get you in and out of tight parking spots. Perhaps in an open lot with only cars next to you, but doing so with a garage is apparently on a whole other level.

I don't expect it to improve anytime soon.
It's not a shame, it's amazing how the non-Tesla people claim so many stuff about Tesla that's far from reality. The latest one I saw was about how people jizzing on a slow motion video of the Model X windshield wipers with washer fluid in action. The wipers on the X are worst compared to all other cars I've owned.

In the good old days, ultrasonics had some blind spots, especially vertical. You could easily back into a concrete block because they beamed sound above it. I would try to experiment with a book or similar to map the areas of where the ultrasonic reacts and not, especially if one will use summon regularly.

Looks like user error to me.

For now, sure, the blame is on user who's too enthusiastically using a beta product.

But for Self-Driving feature Tesla needs to solve this scenario.

1) The car needs to know whether it's an opening or closing garage door command so it can prepare before moving forward.

2) It needs to be able to refrain from the urge to drive into obstacle: If ultrasonic doesn't do the trick, may be an additional camera, or 2,3 or even 5 cameras (3 in windshield assembly, 2 forward side cameras).

Reactions: pilotSteve
I use it all the time as I have too narrow a garage to easily ingress or egress the S. Only problem is it often takes two attempts to enter the narrow doorway as it stops short. Second fob request always works.

I don't ever use any app to summon as it's too risky IMHO with possible network delays should something go wrong. And, I never let the S open the garage door except with geofence on arrival home. All other garage door operations are manual.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
I think the door was too high or too transparent to the sonar to be detected. Probably too high.

I use Summon all the for ridiculous things. My sister in law asked me to move my car, parked at a curb on the street, back a few feet so that my father in law could pull in at a walkway for my mother in law, who has trouble walking. I did it without leaving the house. I have used it a few times when I felt that I had pulled to far into a spot, or not far enough in. I have used it to back up to a SuperCharger closer than I had. I have used it to pull the tire pressure valve closer to the ground for my inflater. I have used it to pull out of a parking space when someone parked too close to the driver's side door.

And, "yes," I have used it as a party trick.

I had been using summon successfully a number of times in the past, taking my car out of and into the garage. On Saturday, backing out of the garage, just as the front wheels were passing by the narrow garage door opening the wheels turned sharply right and wedged into the door frame. Fortunately, I was watching closely and stopped it before too much damage was done. I no longer trust summon.

I use summon daily to let it park itself in my garage. I get out on the driveway and double tap the park button to initiate the summon. That said I do watch it every time and am ready to abort if it does something I don't like.

To me I like having all the room of getting out on the driveway and the 3rd person advantage of checking clearance.

We use Summon daily with the Model X and it works without a hitch. We don't use the Homelink integration because our garage is a bit shallow (because of cabinets in the front of the garage), so even perfectly parked, tolerances are a bit tight in the back (less than an inch) so I don't take the chance.