Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon garage accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uh, my stupid question time...…. that is a big wide garage. Why use summon anyway? Looks like plenty of room to get out of the car.

As a side note, I noticed the end of the wall charger cable under the rear tire. What's going to happen when she backs out of the garage and runs over that ? :eek:
Did you notice how many twists were in that cable?!?

Tough to tell from a picture. Looks pretty tight to me, looking at the tire marks on the floor.
Oh I think I understand what you mean now...….. pulling in with the other T on the left.
I've always been queasy about trying to use summon in a tight garage. Yea, works great for many people, but I am not willing to try it until I stop hearing about unplanned garage remodeling stories :)

Sorry this happened to you. Did the car really 'lurch' forward though? Whenever I used summon, it never lurched, almost painfully slow crawl actually.

If the car can now lurch when starting summon, then we may have finally solved the countless posts about 'Sudden Unexpected Acceleration' :p

I doubted my wife's account, but I don't see how the 2x4 would break in three paces instead of just at the top where the shelf provides leverage.

And yes, I agree on the painfully slow. I have intentionally backed my X into the garage wall (power cord limitation), it is near impossible to do.

I doubted my wife's account, but I don't see how the 2x4 would break in three paces instead of just at the top where the shelf provides leverage.

With the weight on the shelves, that 2x4 should have been pinned top and bottom (by friction) and the nose of the Model 3 would be the fulcrum.

And yes, I agree on the painfully slow. I have intentionally backed my X into the garage wall (power cord limitation), it is near impossible to do.

Still curious about the details of your wife's Summon setup: 1) Continuous Press 2) Initiated from in the Vehicle? 3) Distance settings 4) Key fob or phone?

Can you please share the video as recorded? I would be interested in seeing the lurch forward part.

I hit the dashcam button after she got me outside, but it was too late. She had backed it up a little using summon before getting me, and as I posted, our LTE is spotty and requires many starts and stops and restarts to use it. I wish they would make a basic summon that only requires bluetooth.

With the weight on the shelves, that 2x4 should have been pinned top and bottom (by friction) and the nose of the Model 3 would be the fulcrum.

Still curious about the details of your Summon setup: 1) Continuous Press 2) Initiated from in the Vehicle? 3) Distance settings

I will have to verify wife's settings, but they should be the same as mine - continuous press and max range (35 ft?). I don't understand the initiation question, she was standing behind and connecting through the app.

Would love for a Tesla engineer to download data and weigh in on my wife's tale. I can only think of a velocity impact knocking a section out of a 2x4 that is not constrained at the floor.

Uh, my stupid question time...…. that is a big wide garage. Why use summon anyway? Looks like plenty of room to get out of the car.

As a side note, I noticed the end of the wall charger cable under the rear tire. What's going to happen when she backs out of the garage and runs over that ? :eek:

That is the reason for this mess. My X got side swiped Sunday night and we would normally drive that, it will be sitting until November
20190819_103621.jpg
. It does not fit on the wifes side, and I have it parked almost against the house door for more room for the wife. She still does not want to risk door dinging it, so knocking down shelves is the option.

out of a 2x4 that is not constrained at the floor.

I'm going to say that for the 2x4, didn't look like the wood was in the best of condition. But also I don't see how it could not be constrained at the floor - it clearly (based on the position of the shelves after removal) had a lot of compressive forces on it. Would be hard to push it to the side due to friction with the floor - and if it bent only at the top (say no friction from the bottom), then the effective lengthening of the wood (due to the flat bottom having to trace out an arc) would definitely create enormous friction, since there would be no room for lengthening.

Short story, no mysteries there. Not clear that it would have to be moving all that fast to break the wood if it were brittle. It would just have to deform the wood.

. I don't understand the initiation question,

If Continuous press is OFF, then it is possible to initiate Summon from inside the car with two Park presses, and it will take off after you close the door (you have to be very confident to use this mode I think!).

Last edited:
That is the reason for this mess. My X got side swiped Sunday night and we would normally drive that, it will be sitting until NovemberView attachment 444826 . It does not fit on the wifes side, and I have it parked almost against the house door for more room for the wife. She still does not want to risk door dinging it, so knocking down shelves is the option.

I have the X crash video on facebook, but can't figure out how to embed it here. Will look again later.