Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon is limited in Canada?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not completely useless. It’s great for blowing peoples minds when you ‘call’ your car out of its parking spot. ;)

I pull a headfake and hide my thumb on the app and just verbally say ‘come here’. Really shocks people when my car ‘listens’ to me :D

• Funny
Reactions: TrevTremaine
The problem is... it has to be super nearby the car...

I am using iPhone SE and most of the time don’t work

Require key rob to present to work then why not just control via keyfob

That’s dumbest thing I’ve ever learned at SC yesterday

Nah I can just squeeze myself in parking spot, not fully trust summon to drive into a tight spot as SC says it can only to straight line, steering wheel might not turn to avoid side cars...

The problem is... it has to be super nearby the car...
Yes - you have to be within fob range of the car. So I stand right beside the rear of the vehicle and back it out of the parking spot.

But this isn't anything new - Summon has always worked this way in Canada. It is more of a novelty than anything else but can be useful if someone else parks really close and jams you in.

It is useful on occasion. The other day there was only one spot at the Starbucks and I had to walk on ice right next to a retaining wall. Bit of a drop if I slipped.

So when we left I went out and summoned the car while my wife picked up something to go. The barrista saw me do it and it blew her mind. I had to wait a bit while my wife had some “Tesla time” lol.

• Funny
Reactions: MarcoRP
It’s a neat party trick

The thing is...

Some parking lots in downtown Toronto don’t have cellular signal

Summon won’t work

with key fob, it doesn’t need internet

Today I tried to back into a tight spot and realized it won’t work without cellular (car has no signal either)

Outside Toronto, I don’t even need summon anyways lol

• Informative
Reactions: Gerk and mrElbe
The comments on this thread make it pretty clear that there is no benefit to the Canadian summon. Do we have it because of some outdated law? Can we get it changed? It must add to the cost of the car over here. Sorry, I don't have any answers. Can anyone help? No, I can't move anywhere outside Canada.

• Funny
Reactions: xyeahtony
The comments on this thread make it pretty clear that there is no benefit to the Canadian summon. Do we have it because of some outdated law? Can we get it changed? It must add to the cost of the car over here. Sorry, I don't have any answers. Can anyone help? No, I can't move anywhere outside Canada.
There is a bit of a benefit - when cars are parked too close for you to get in to your car you can use summon to pull it out.

What is it that you want changed? The requirement that your fob must be within signal range of the car?

There is a bit of a benefit - when cars are parked too close for you to get in to your car you can use summon to pull it out.

What is it that you want changed? The requirement that your fob must be within signal range of the car?
Sorry, what I wrote wasn't too clear. Summon is really nice, but the Canadian version of summon is not so nice. Summon should work with the fob or the Tesla app as it does in Teslas sold outside Canada. Yes?

Last edited:
Sure, but I pretty much always have my phone on me and if I am out with the car and not at home then I will have the fob with me. I just don't see what the big deal is - is the issue when the phone is disconnected from the mobile network, like deep down in a parking garage?

Sure, but I pretty much always have my phone on me and if I am out with the car and not at home then I will have the fob with me. I just don't see what the big deal is - is the issue when the phone is disconnected from the mobile network, like deep down in a parking garage?
As I said, if you read the rest of this thread you'll see others speaking about the disadvantages of our restricted Canadianised summon. A few of us still don't carry a cell phone everywhere, so fob summon, as it works in the rest of the world, makes plain sense to us. Why restrict Canadians?

As I said, if you read the rest of this thread you'll see others speaking about the disadvantages of our restricted Canadianised summon. A few of us still don't carry a cell phone everywhere, so fob summon, as it works in the rest of the world, makes plain sense to us. Why restrict Canadians?
Don’t blame Tesla, this is governmental. Ask your MP why your car is being held back.

Can't disagree. The Canadian summon is really unreliable. Works about half the time.

Sometimes I can't trigger it from the Tesla app, but I can from Remote S... except Remote S doesn't understand that in Canada you have to keep your finger on the button so it doesn't work anyway. Flip back to the Tesla app and it still doesn't connect.