Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon seems like a silly party trick to me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...we got some half baked garbage delivered to us...

I agree that for those who expect final production quality, beta quality is quite disappointing.

Maybe Tesla owners didn't realize that they paid for a beta feature.

Worse yet, they may not realize that they paid for something that no one has ever been able to release it commercially!

Ask Waymo: It's still hardly able to figure out a pick-up/drop-off coordinate correctly despite having a safety officer onboard!

Again, these are features that no one has proven that it could work! These features are just visions and hope that they should work given enough time.

So, yes, these features can be called "garbage" but garbage to one is a treasure to another.

For those who love beta products, we can learn what are their limitations and adapt and personalize to make it work for us.

In summary, I would embrace these "garbage" any time and it's a joy!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Kant.Ing
The only reason Elon Musk has been able to keep it up where others fail, is that he has created a cult following, much like Apple, where if it has his brand on it, they want it, no matter how great or bad the product is when it's first released

"Cultist spotting" is a great pass time activity in this forum :cool:

In summary, I would embrace these "garbage" any time and it's a joy!

I agree with ALL of your posts in this thread and while I am a fan of Tesla and the model 3 is my favorite car I have ever owned and will continue to support Tesla buying their product, the release of smart summon has to be the most irresponsible thing Tesla has ever done and I will never use it.

While my children are grown now (22 and 30) I would not be able to live with myself being responsible for the kind of injuries you so graphically described, also I do have my first grandchild (5 week old baby Oliver) My son and his wife have no interest in Tesla and as said could not (opt out) of someone making a stupid video.

To the people here talking about how no child should ever be roaming parking lots, REALLY? SERIOUSLY? you have never witnessed good intentioned parents lose control of their rambunctious child momentarily in a crowded parking lot? I know I have and more than once while traveling 5 mph or so in say a Costco parking lot and I am glad that I am vigilant and have quick reflexes.
Something occurred to me recently in thinking about Smart Summon. I think it was a mistake for Tesla to release it now as well, but for a different reason. NoA, AutoSteer. and AutoPark all require an attentive driver, that being an attentive person with access to the brake pedal and steering wheel. Sure, people fain being asleep to drive clicks on YouTube but you cannot currently sleep, as the driver, in a Tesla in motion. I speak definitively as a Model 3 owner and only relatively certain for Model S and X. Even if you, as I do, rest my left elbow on the door rest and hook my thumb over the radial on the left side of the steering wheel, should I drift off my hand would relax and drop off the steering wheel virtually immediately. That, alone would likely wake the driver but if not, the nag beeps would. If they released NoACity edition with the same caveats as NoA they would be subject to the same laws of gravity. However....this is not the case with Summons as being several hundred feet from the car is clearly not being, effectively, Pilot-in-Command. Unlike NoA the person with the phone app is not in control of the vehicle and can not see the view from the rear view mirrors, windshield, or backup camera. Unlike what I perceive will be the public beta of FSD, Enhanced Summon is truly autonomous with no immediate intervention. For this reason this should have been held until after the release of a beta FSD. or NoACity.

Sure, people fain being asleep to drive clicks on YouTube but you cannot currently sleep, as the driver, in a Tesla in motion.
You forgot about the idiots who put a weight of some sort on one side of the steering wheel to defeat the nag, and then there is this!

https://www.autopilotbuddy.com

the original model was deemed illegal for use and so they sell it for "off road use" and redesigned a new one as a "cell phone holder" anyone who uses these seems to me they have a death wish!

You forgot about the idiots who put a weight of some sort on one side of the steering wheel to defeat the nag, and then there is this!

https://www.autopilotbuddy.com

the original model was deemed illegal for use and so they sell it for "off road use" and redesigned a new one as a "cell phone holder" anyone who uses these seems to me they have a death wish!
Whoever manufactures it will be party to the first lawsuit against an owner that uses it. Sure, in a ICE vehicle it, to could be rigged to be semi-self driving. I am not referring to someone deliberately intent on killing themselves. I am referring to someone doing it under normal use.
Personally, if I were Tesla legal I'd sue that company out of existence. It's likely two assholes in a basement. So, take their parents home, their cars, garnish their wages.

I am not convinced static weights work now...if they ever did. Even by paying attention just resting my arm against the armrest and steering wheel that works for a bit then I get a nag. The car doesn't like a static weight it likes variability of torque.

It's interesting to me that these types of videos never get surfaced here. There's as many of these on YT (if not more) as the "disaster/failure" videos.

If you want to hate Tesla and/or its features without even attempting to be objective then it's easy to do. It takes more guts to truly be objective.

It's interesting to me that these types of videos never get surfaced here. There's as many of these on YT (if not more) as the "disaster/failure" videos.

If you want to hate Tesla and/or its features without even attempting to be objective then it's easy to do. It takes more guts to truly be objective.

Thank you for posting a perfect example of someone using Smart Summon incorrectly. This is equivalent to posting videos of people sleeping while using Autopilot.

SERIOUSLY? this is your proof it is ok to use? at 30 seconds into the video the car emerges from behind a row of parked cars where the user had no line of sight at all on the vehicle, anything can happen on the blind side of the car when you CAN see it but this guy is summoning for 30 seconds without even seeing the car, awesome, just awesome, someone will get hurt in a parking lot before this disaster is over and I hope it is not too serious, its pretty obvious that Tesla will have to abort this SS ability soon.

You might be surprised to hear that your abilities are unique. Obviously the feature is perfectly safe for people who can see through solid objects. The problem is that many people who can't see through solid objects are using it incorrectly.

I will amend my position thusly:

This Smart Summon thing is fundamentally unsafe for everyone except those with x-ray vision, because it removes the user's visibility, reduces the space of disengagement actions to just releasing a button, cannot reliably detect a wide range of obstacles, obviates the users self-preservation instincts, and invites predictable abuse by allowing people to operate their cars outside their line of sight.

There's no way this smart summon mess will go down smoothly. It's only a matter of time until a dumb accident or lawsuit turns up and it'll be either pulled/disabled or they will add restrictions (I can almost imagine a disclaimer that it's to be used only with someone in the car, which of course would be completely silly and defeat the purpose).

No matter how hard I try, I can't share the optimism some have here. I've said it before, I find it really sad when I see people here actually believing Tesla is close to FSD or robotaxis (by close I mean within the lifetime of the current cars)...

Reactions: SandiaGrunt
The issue here is that there are at least two types of people in this world.

The first type realizes that the world is full of crazy things - some of which are potentially dangerous and maybe some of which are potentially dangerous but also offer benefits that might not otherwise be realized if we all spent our lives living in fear. These types of people take it upon themselves to ensure that they keep themselves and their families safe.

And then there's another group of people who seem to think it's everyone ELSE'S job to ensure that nothing bad could possibly ever happen. - even at the expense of not advancing society These folks live in a very binary and sad world in which they want to put the onus on every one else to ensure that no potential dangers exist in the world!

And then there's another group of people who seem to think it's everyone ELSE'S job to ensure that nothing bad could possibly ever happen. - even at the expense of not advancing society These folks live in a very binary and sad world in which they want to put the onus on every one else to ensure that no potential dangers exist in the world!

...uh, yes.

Yes, the onus is on you to make sure your 4,000 toy does not kill a child in a parking lot.

This is a situation where the law and common decency align really well.

A jury is likely to convict you, even if you tell them you were "advancing society."

...uh, yes.

Yes, the onus is on you to make sure your 4,000 toy does not kill a child in a parking lot.

This is a situation where the law and common decency align really well.

A jury is likely to convict you, even if you tell them you were "advancing society."
As usual you are twisting words to make a point that's WAY out in the margin.

In no way am I saying that I don't think it's up to the one initiating summon to do so responsibly and to take all precautions to ensure that no one is injured.

Reactions: PACEMD