Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summons Crash in to Garage Door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And this is how homelink auto close/open gets removed. :(

Accident like this can happen for garage doors that are too old to have any sensor.

I don't see how this accident could happen with a modern garage door with properly set sensors.

If improperly setting the garage door sensors too low on the ground--below the bumper level, it would miss the bumper above and think that there's no obstruction and it would continue to close.

It's low tech solution: Just raise garage door sensors to about 20 inches above the ground!

Reactions: bhzmark
Understand that the sensor wasn't blocked because I didn't move more than 4 inches within the garage door. Fortunately the door didn't come down on the top of the car but as I backed up it hit the side of the door. I ended up driving in to the door. I realize that yes if I was watching out the back window I would have seen the door but I checked then backed up. Its fairly common for people to drive this way. I don't blame the sensors on the door or their location. I wasn't through the opening of the garage.

The homelink / GPS configuration only occurs after summons is activated. It has only occurred when pulling the car in and reaching its resting point. Since I backed up and it disconnected I thought the process was over. I never ever thought about the door closing because of it. I was backing out. Thats not how you expect the homelink connection to summons to occur. Back out - disconnect and close the door? I was never in forward in that summons process. In other words I didn't pull the car in, overshoot and back up which is when the summons would naturally close the garage door. In this case it was reverse the entire summons trip.

Anyway I still don't believe I am at fault. If your kids were outside and closed the garage door on you while backing out I think you would be pretty pissed at your kid. I use kid as an example because I guess thats the level of intelligence I now realize the homelink tie to summons is.

Remember this is a beta feature. My X backed into my bike which is hanging on the back wall and the sensors did not see it because they are low. I will never use summon in auto mode again. I now control it with the app where it will stop immediately when I pull my finger the screen.

I have to agree with others that the title is misleading. It is the homelink auto garage door unexpectedly closed on you while your car is halfway out.

BTW, I think your car stopped on the summon probably because your friend got too close to the car trying to get a good look. I had that happens a few time when someone else who never seen it before got too close to the car. We summon our car out everyday.

I have my side view mirrors angle down. Also I encourage you to lower your garage door while in the car and tell me if you can see the door come down from that tiny port hole they call a back windshield.

The door is quiet I have it maintained and it is belt drive plus we were talking and the radio was on. With two people talking and the radio you wouldn't notice the door coming down.

My buddy didn't get too close to the car. The car has POOR POOR connectivity to the internet and lost connection. Happens all the time in the garage and just as bad on the street. I have to use my phone as my streaming source because the Tesla service is so inconsistent.

Hope I answered all the comments. I do feel like I am defending myself a little bit - but If anything I hope you guys don't enable the homelink option - it just isn't worth the trouble.

My buddy didn't get too close to the car. The car has POOR POOR connectivity to the internet and lost connection. Happens all the time in the garage and just as bad on the street. I have to use my phone as my streaming source because the Tesla service is so inconsistent.

Hope I answered all the comments. I do feel like I am defending myself a little bit - but If anything I hope you guys don't enable the homelink option - it just isn't worth the trouble.

Yeah I was told by many Tesla owners to NOT use the Auto garage open/close option. The main reason was that it doesn't close the door all the time, and then you will come back and find the garage door was opened.

I think if you use your keyfob instead of the phone to summon, it does not care about the internet connection. When I use my key to summon, it works 100% of the time. With the phone, sometime it will stop half way out because of internet connection.

Since you asked for others perspectives, here's mine. Accidents happen. learn from it going forward.

Sorry, this was totally your fault. You were distracted, talking, listing to a radio loud enough that you did not hear the garage door lowering. Worse, you failed to ensure the area behind your car was clear before starting to back out. What if a child or animal walked behind your car? Tesla's fault if you hit them or it?

You admitted you were not watching as you backed up, then stated that it is "common" for people to drive this way. I will advise you this is not common for people to drive this way. If your car is moving in reverse, it's your responsibility to watch behind you as you are moving in reverse.

Your mirrors are angled down is your excuse for not ensuring the sides were clear enough to start backing out is a poor excuse. May I suggest you create a 'GARAGE' profile for the future, which is set to not turn your mirrors downward, and if you have garage door clearance, does not fold mirrors in, or if you do not have garage door clearance, manually fold the mirrors in as you approach the door threshold.

Expecting Tesla, or anyone else to pay for the damage is unrealistic in this case.

Edit: Enabling auto close was not a good idea in the first place, but you know that now. This is mostly for others who may have it enabled.

Reactions: croman
I realize that yes if I was watching out the back window I would have seen the door but I checked then backed up. Its fairly common for people to drive this way.

Anyway I still don't believe I am at fault. If your kids were outside and closed the garage door on you while backing out I think you would be pretty pissed at your kid. I use kid as an example because I guess thats the level of intelligence I now realize the homelink tie to summons is.

Common or not, you weren’t looking where you were going and you hit the door. As the driver, you are at fault because you assumed that the path was clear when it was not.

If the kids closed the garage door and you hit it, you could be mad at the kids for closing it, but you would still be at fault for hitting it.

Someone walked across I would have seen it in the camera.
Do NOT count on that. There's currently a problem where the camera is showing a static picture, or nothing at all. It's not clear if it a H/W or S/W problem, but rebooting the screen fixes it. to ne, that's a S/W issue, not H/W. Depending on technology to replace your own eyes is a mistake, IMHO.

Good luck in the future. I hope your repair is not too costly.