Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summons Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update on my summons issue described here: Daily use of summon?
I Contacted Tesla Scottsdale Service center. Sent them the link to the video. They said they never heard of this issue so they sent it to the "other guys". Got a call today and they explained that the summons forward feature is designed to pull forward till it gets close enough to an object as set up in the parameters, or 40 feet, which ever comes first. They said its designed with the idea in mind that most people pull into the garage forward, not backwards. Other wise, they said, you would have to pull into the exact spot everytime before you hit the summons. That the maximum traveling distance applies to the backing up only and that my car is working just fine. He said he tried it on several cars in their center and they all do the same.

I said Ok and wrote it off, but now that i think of it, it doesn't make sense. Why would they limit it to reverse only? Am i really the only person that backs into their garage? If it is the maximum distance, its the max, not the distance its going to travel no matter what it runs into. Can others verify that theirs does the same thing? In an open parking lot, use summons to go forward only. Don't "un-summons" it. Just shut it off, hold the roof of the fob for a few seconds then push the front trunk on the fob after the hazards start to flash. Then see how far it travels. According to what i was told, its 40 feet no matter what you have your summons distance set to. If yours goes the distance you have it set for, please get a video of it so i can present it to them. If it goes the 40 feet no matter what, let me know, Ill email tesla and suggest they make it follow the settings for both directions. Thanks,

I'm calling shenanigans on their answer. I have almost the exact same setup as you - same tight one car garage, same settings in the Tesla, I back in to the garage.

I use summon to leave and it doesn't go nearly as far as yours. In fact, it goes as far as I have it set to. I'll shoot a video like yours when I get home or tomorrow for comparison.

Just out of curiosity, why do you choose to back in to your garage?

It is really weird that there's a limit on both forward and reverse summon, and there's a settable limit, but the setting only applies to
one and not the other (the other being hard-wired to 40'). Their explanation sounds an awful lot like someone trying to spin a bug as a "feature" ("maybe you wanted to
do that...").

I, too, back into my 1 car (tight) garage.

I remember reading on a thread here that says that unless you used summon to back into your spot, it keeps driving forward. I haven't tested to see how far it'll go, but it's definitely further than the max distance set in the settings.

So, to get it to pull out the proper amount, you just need to summon it into the garage and then summon it back out.

But I agree, it sounds like this is a bug or, at the very least, a necessary feature request if that's truly not their intention.

Just out of curiosity, why do you choose to back in to your garage?

It is really weird that there's a limit on both forward and reverse summon, and there's a settable limit, but the setting only applies to
one and not the other (the other being hard-wired to 40'). Their explanation sounds an awful lot like someone trying to spin a bug as a "feature" ("maybe you wanted to
do that...").
I back in because my garage, just like Ryco's, is SUPER narrow. Trying to open a door on the big S in the small garage would easily result in hitting the wall. I'm not even sure if I could squeeze out. Summon is a must.

I back in because my garage, just like Ryco's, is SUPER narrow. Trying to open a door on the big S in the small garage would easily result in hitting the wall. I'm not even sure if I could squeeze out. Summon is a must.
That addresses why you summon in, but not why you do it backward rather forward. Is something about the tightness different for one
vs. the other?

Extension cord? Yeah, yeah, I know it says not to use one, but, really, if it is sufficiently heavy-duty what's the harm?

I found when travelling that it was essential to bring along an extension cord for 110 charging since very rarely is the nearest outlet to
a parking space within the main cable's reach.

@CHG-ON, have you had similar issues with summon distance and backing in rather than going in forward?
Honestly, I have only used it to move the car about 15ft in and out of the garage when washing it so that I don't have to get in and just to have fun. I did try to see how far it would go in forward once. But I have a slope about 15ft from the garage. So when it got about 5 ft up the slope, it stopped, as designed. I backed it in once and it stopped at the small board I have glued down on the floor to stop me when I backed in. Worked fine there. My garage isn't ideal for summon because I have a two car and I park on on side, the other being empty (when not filled with crap!). So it get's befuddled as it tries to center itself.

Reactions: msnow
Our S hasn't been delivered yet, but we did get one for a sleep over a couple weeks ago. I couldn't get summ yon to operate since I wasn't linked on my phone, but I did look at the settings. I recall a switch referring to having to hold down the button continuously. Does this mean that if you select it, it will drive as long as you have the button down, and that if not selected it will go the 40 feet and then stop unless it senses something and stops earlier? Would this have anything to do with your situation?