Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sun Country Highway Cross-Canada Tour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Olivier, keep us posted! I'd love to meet you all in South-East Manitoba! Any idea when you'll be there? Maybe I can keep my schedule open for it...

Hi KBF,

The schedule is not done yet for manitoba. When dong this type of launch it is hard to redict more than a week in advance who knows what can happen

What i can tell you is next week is ontario (toronto) so manitoba is not fsr away.

I'll put a post for every province when. Get the schedule so you are aware of where we are the next week.

I'll also try to post some pics tomorrow of me and a beautiful Model S. We are lucky to have an owner doing a part of the tour with us. Should go all the way to Quebec city with us.

Don't forget to follow us on twitter (@suncountryhwy) and
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/suncountryhighway

Thanks

Olivier Delisle
Business development
Sun Country Highway

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk HD

So the model number is the unit voltage (cs90 - 90 amps - 72 continuous)

Actually he means current, not voltage. All the chargers are 220V. The nominal circuit capacity for the big chargers is 90A which allows for up to 72A continuous. (These are Clipper Creek conventions.)

As has been mentioned the charge rate in km/hour will be affected by the actual voltage present. At my house I reliably get 240V on my Roadster HPC, but the Sun Country charger at our office comes in a little under 200V due to our office's nominal 208V power (we have 3-phase power). That's about a big a difference as you'll ever see!

Actually he means current, not voltage. All the chargers are 220V. The nominal circuit capacity for the big chargers is 90A which allows for up to 72A continuous. (These are Clipper Creek conventions.)

As has been mentioned the charge rate in km/hour will be affected by the actual voltage present. At my house I reliably get 240V on my Roadster HPC, but the Sun Country charger at our office comes in a little under 200V due to our office's nominal 208V power (we have 3-phase power). That's about a big a difference as you'll ever see!

Thanks Doug for this correction ;)

Olivier Delisle
Business development
Sun Country Highway

Since we're picking nits, nominal voltages in Canada at the Service Entrance (per CSA CAN-C235-83 Table 3.0) are 120/240 volts for split phase systems and 120/208 volts for 3-phase systems. Normal operating Min/Max permissable levels are 110/216 to 125/250 volts for split phase systems and 112/190 to 125/216 volts for 3-phase systems. The Sun Country chargers appear to be rated 208 to 240 volts which is in line with these CSA standards.

The reason I mention this is because some equipment can be damaged by voltages outside of these bands, and since the Tesla charger is on board, it might not be good for the inverter to see voltages above 250 or below 110 (at least on North American models).

If voltages are observed at the building's service entrance outside of these normal operating condition bands, it is up to the electric utility to take corrective action.

Tesla's technology protects itself. If the voltage is not within range it will not charge. In fact if the voltage drops too much when it ramps up the current it aborts and chastises you for using an extension cord.

Good to know, and well thought out by Tesla. Since they've designed the car to "plug in anywhere" it makes sense that it protect itself. (It would make the electric utility life much easier if more products did this :crying:)

I am planning on taking my Roadster to meet up with them in Boucherville tomorrow. Love the idea of being able to roam across Canada on electricity. This should shut the mouths of many of these people who constantly ask me what would I do if i wanted to go from Montreal to Toronto!

They'll be in Ottawa on Thursday and Friday. Planning to meet up with them, assuming I can get my tire fixed.

(I had been driving a little bit with my pretty worn A048's on the rear. No way I'm gonna do that now that there's snow and ice here and there!)

I am planning on taking my Roadster to meet up with them in Boucherville tomorrow. Love the idea of being able to roam across Canada on electricity. This should shut the mouths of many of these people who constantly ask me what would I do if i wanted to go from Montreal to Toronto!

As enthused as I am about all this, a 70 amp charger is still going to take 4-6 hours to completely charge a Model S from "empty". I've been trying to figure if I'll be able to do the drive from Toronto to Chicago to see my daughter, and it doesn't look particularly easy. In the ICE, I do the 550 mile trip in about 8 hours with 1 fuel stop. In a Model S (prior to Superchargers) I'll probably have to make an overnight stop and maybe even more extended top up stops along the way.

We'll be more than happy to see you in Boucherville!!!

See you later

Olivier Delisle
Business development
Sun Country Highway

As enthused as I am about all this, a 70 amp charger is still going to take 4-6 hours to completely charge a Model S from "empty". I've been trying to figure if I'll be able to do the drive from Toronto to Chicago to see my daughter, and it doesn't look particularly easy. In the ICE, I do the 550 mile trip in about 8 hours with 1 fuel stop. In a Model S (prior to Superchargers) I'll probably have to make an overnight stop and maybe even more extended top up stops along the way.

Hi

Doing the trip to Chicago will probably require a stop to fully recharge and one more stop to top off. The EPA says 260 miles range but at the moment the S in minus 5-10 gets around 240 miles. But i think its a small price to pay for all the rewards you get in return. :)

Thanks

Olivier Delisle
Business development
Sun Country Highway

Doing the trip to Chicago will probably require a stop to fully recharge and one more stop to top off. The EPA says 260 miles range but at the moment the S in minus 5-10 gets around 240 miles. But i think its a small price to pay for all the rewards you get in return. :)

I absolutely agree. The Chicago trip is the only scenario I have that could be difficult. More often than not, I'll fly anyway. With the 85 kWh pack, the Model S should easily take me everywhere else I go and back with ease. With charging infrastructure like Sun Country's, that'll make it even easier for trips on the fringes of Model S's range.

I spoke with Stephen B. in Stoney Creek...I think he said Kent will be at the North Wentworth Arena on Dec 3 or 4th to charge up a bit...unsure of what time yet...I'm going up to meet him, anyone else from the Golden Horseshoe going?

They'll be in Ottawa on Thursday and Friday. Planning to meet up with them, assuming I can get my tire fixed.

(I had been driving a little bit with my pretty worn A048's on the rear. No way I'm gonna do that now that there's snow and ice here and there!)

I absolutely agree. The Chicago trip is the only scenario I have that could be difficult. More often than not, I'll fly anyway. With the 85 kWh pack, the Model S should easily take me everywhere else I go and back with ease. With charging infrastructure like Sun Country's, that'll make it even easier for trips on the fringes of Model S's range.

This trip will not be as hard as you think. Although technically it might take 6 hrs to completely fill an 85kWh battery, it charges faster at lower states of charge. The way to make this trip is to stop at 2 stations providing 70+ amps but don't charge it full. That will minimize your charging time. You'd be crazy to drive 550 mi without stopping a couple times anyway. You may end up stopping for longer than you would with a gasser, but it will be far more enjoyable.

Salut Olier007,

By curiosity, are you a Model S reservation holder?

Don't know much about SunCountry and their charger tech. If I have a TMS 60kWh with onboard charger of 10kWh and plug into your the SCH chargers, how much time will it take. And did you say it would be free for 2 years still?

Are SCH and Le Circuit Electrique working together or competing?

Salut Olier007,

By curiosity, are you a Model S reservation holder?

Don't know much about SunCountry and their charger tech. If I have a TMS 60kWh with onboard charger of 10kWh and plug into your the SCH chargers, how much time will it take. And did you say it would be free for 2 years still?

Are SCH and Le Circuit Electrique working together or competing?

The SCH charge stations will work fine with a Model S 60 kWh, single charger, but will be limited to drawing 40A (about 6 hrs to charge) versus 70A (about 4 hrs to charge). This make a big difference on a road trip. If you have the ability to upgrade to twin chargers, I would do it, because of the rising prevalence of the SCH stations. I have only used them with my Roadster so far, but they work GREAT!

Green Car Reports: Crossing Canada In An Electric Car? Free Charging Lets It Happen

Crossing Canada In An Electric Car? Free Charging Lets It Happen

Traveling coast-to-coast isn't a trip best suited to the average electric car, but it's become a whole lot easier in Canada.

A free, 240V charging network now lines the Trans-Canada highway, allowing EV drivers to drive across the entire country--and to demonstrate, two drivers are doing just that.