Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sun Country Highway Cross-Canada Tour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I can't seem to find the schedule for Sunday or Monday (Tuesday in Carberry, on the wrong side of the province!). I'm in the Steinbach area (SE MB) - are you stopping anywhere near Ste. Anne (just off the Trans-Canada)?

Hi,

Let me check and i'll get back to you.

Olivier Delisle
Business Development
Sun. Country Highway

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk HD

Perhaps some of you can clarify the business model for SCH. Are they installing this network out of the goodness of their hearts? Or is there a business purpose that will eventually yield a return? Or a combination of both? I understand many business owners have paid for the chargers or at least to have them installed for their customers.

Perhaps some of you can clarify the business model for SCH. Are they installing this network out of the goodness of their hearts? Or is there a business purpose that will eventually yield a return? Or a combination of both? I understand many business owners have paid for the chargers or at least to have them installed for their customers.

They sell chargers. You could buy one from them for your house or work. But like many successful businesses, I'm sure the motivation is a combo of profit and a passion. I think there is more to their business plan, but I think the selling is fairly central.

Latest update and itinerary for final segment. I pasted the press release inline below:

MEDIA ADVISORY

Sun Country Highway expands its free public access electric vehicle (EV) charging network along theTrans-Canada Highway (TCH) in commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of the TCH.

The World’s Longest/Greenest Highway Project

St. John’s Newfoundland to Victoria British Columbia─ As part of Sun Country Highway's (SCH) mission toGreen Canada's Highways in 2012, SCH in collaboration with over 80 leading Canadian businesses andtourism destinations, will be launching their 100% publicly accessible EV charging network projectconnecting cities and towns across Canada, creating the longest, greenest highway in the world! Every100 to 200 kms along the Trans-Canada Highway electric vehicle owners will now have access to theworld’s fastest level 2 electric vehicle charging stations at no cost to the EV Owner.
SCH is a leader in sustainable transportation and is deploying state of the art charging infrastructure toaccelerate electric vehicle (EV) adoption across Canada. Before Christmas, Sun Country Highway willhave toured across Canada from St. John’s, NL clear across to Victoria, BC visiting electric vehiclecharging stations installed strategically along the TCH. The SCH plan is to ignite regionalized economicdevelopment and to simultaneously challenge electric vehicle manufacturers and auto parts suppliers toramp up plug-in electric vehicle production.
The extensive month-long tour will be lead by Sun Country Highway President Kent Rathwell and VicePresident Christopher Misch who will be driving an all electric Tesla Roadster super car to demonstratethe SCH FREE public access charging network. “The faster 60 and 90 amp SCH chargers have beeninstalled at the majority of locations to future-proof the network and to enhance regional eco-tourismopportunities,” adds Vice President Christopher Misch.
“We can now say that we have partnered with corporate and small business owners in every Provincefrom coast to coast. We have embarked on this project to help raise awareness on the capabilities ofelectric vehicles as efficient and exciting vehicles to drive. Our objectives are not only to reduce carbonemissions but to show the world how renewable energies combined with sustainable forms oftransportation can be the stimulus for the next industrial revolution,” explains SCH Founder andPresident Kent Rathwell.
The SCH Team will tackle the Trans Canada Highway. SCH is aiming to earn Canada the moniker of thecountry with “The World’s Longest/Greenest Highway” featuring over 100 charging stations strategicallyplaced along the TCH before Christmas and close to 200 charging stations in total. This EV chargingnetwork will permit EV owners to travel at no cost from coast to coast, 100% emissions free.

Agenda for Monday December 17, 2012

Banff, AB- Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel 9:00 – 10:00 am
- 405 Spray Avenue, Banff, AB; Local Site Contact: Steve Sandercott,

Golden, BC - 12:30 – 2:30 pm Home Hardware
- 912 15
th Street South; Local Site Contact: Brad Tataryn, 250-344-2964
Revelstoke, BC - *3:30 – 5:30 pm Best Western Plus *Time Zone Change
- 1925 Laforme Blvd Revelstoke, BC; Local Site Contact: Brady Beruschi,
250-837-2043

Agenda for Tuesday December 18, 2012
Kamloops, BC- Holiday Inn and Suites 9:00am – 2:00 pm
- 675 Tranquille Road; Local Site Contact: Stephen Earl, 250-376-8288
Lytton, BC- Location TBD 4:00pm-5:30pm

Agenda for Wednesday December 19, 2012
Hope, BC – Town Hall 9:00am- 10:30am
- 325 Wallace Street, Hope, BC; Local Site Contact: Tyler Mattheis, 604 860-0930
Vancouver, Burnaby BC – Bosa Properties 1:00pm – 2:00 pm
- 4555 Kingsway Vancouver, BC; Local Site Contact Rob Elliott, 604 299-1363
Vancouver, BC- Hotel Shangri-La 2:30pm-4:30pm
- 1128 Georgia Street, Vancouver; Local Site Contact: Vito Romeo, 604 661-3320

Agenda for Thursday December 20, 2012
Vancouver, BC- Fairmont Pacific Rim 9:00am-10:00am
- 1038 Canada Place, Vancouver; Local Site Contact: Rudi Gimmi, 604 695-5590[/COLOR]
Whistler, BC- Hilton Whistler Resort and Spa- 1:00pm-2:30pm
- 450 Whistler Way, Whistler; Local Site Contact: Stephen Webb

Agenda for Friday December 21, 2012
Port Alberni, BC- Hospitality Inn 9:00am-10:00am
- 3835 Redford Street, Port Alberni; Local Site Contact: 250 723-8111

Colwood, BC- Royal Bakery 1:00-2:00pm
- 3337 Metchosin Road, Colwood; Local Site Contact Dave Grove, ][email protected]
Victoria, BC- FINALE at Parliament Buildings/ Grand Pacific Hotel 2:30pm-4:00pm
- 463 Belleville Street, Victoria; Local Site Contact: Reid James, 250 380-4452

Background:

Sun Country Highway is a wholly Canadian owned company focused on creating Canada's electric vehicleinfrastructure. SCH is promoting the adoption of sustainable transportation alternatives without the useof taxpayer money and for the purpose of creating regional economic development.
Should you have any questions please contact:
Stephen Bieda
Regional Director - Ontario
Sun Country Highway
www.suncountryhighway.ca
Cell: 905-515-0497
Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/suncountryhighway
Twitter: @SunCountryHwy

"Greening Canada's HighwaysTM"

Last edited:
They have made it to Calgary

Here is the latest progress map. Now they have "just" 1,000 kms of high mountain winter driving to make it to the Pacific!

SCH Calgary.jpg

It's hard to know until you plug in. They have several different power levels available. The cable is thicker on the 70A version, and at first glance I don't think that's the big version.

They're not just installing along the Trans Canada. The full map will be up in a few days!

Thought this deserved a cross-post:

Model S PR and Buzz

Charlene and I are headed north tomorrow to link up with the Sun Coast Highway trans Canada team. We have a bottle of Columbia River water to add to their Atlantic Ocean water. It seems "right" that this water from the Columbia which generates so much clean electrical power should ride the remained of it's journey to the Pacific in a Tesla Roadster! We are set to meet them at the Holiday Inn in Kamloops, BC. We hope many Tesla drivers will be able to meet these guys in Vancouver later this week.

It's hard to know until you plug in. They have several different power levels available. The cable is thicker on the 70A version, and at first glance I don't think that's the big version.

Took a shot of the nameplate, and it looks like it's a 30 amp. It also appears to be a re-branded ClipperCreek unit...

IMG_1120.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for posting this Mike...this charger is only about a 5 minute drive from my daughter's off campus residence at U of Gu...Good to know it's there in a pinch, even if it is only 30 amps...

This unit is being sponsored by Guelph Hydro. I have been doing a bit of research because I will be trying to get the utility I work for to install some units as well.

IMG_1124.JPG

They're not just installing along the Trans Canada. The full map will be up in a few days!

will there be an API or other way to import the map into Openchargemap or others?

If anyone has concerns about the viability of electric cars in a Canadian winter, that should certainly put them to rest!

Indeed!!!

-----

Colleagues,

We have a final plan for participation in the finale of the Tour! We have been invited to join the Victoria Leaf Club for lunch, dedication of the penultimate SCH EVSE location, and a convoy of EV's into Victoria for the grand finale and celebration of the completion of the WLGHP Tour and Inauguration.

The location of the lunch and EVSE stop is the Royal Bay Bakery (http://www.royalbaybakery.com):

3337 Metchosin Road (at Lagoon Rd.)
Colwood, BC
250-478-3717

As you can see from the web site, this is a cool and progressive bakery and eatery with organic fare, a 70A EVSE, a Nissan Leaf, and a solar array! It will be great to patronize these folks, and join Kent, Chris, and Rob for the final (16 km) leg of their epic journey on behalf of a greener Canada and North America.

Please try to arrive between 12 noon and 12:30pm, so we will have plenty of time to eat and meet one another before heading into Victoria at around 1:30pm. The arrival celebration has been moved back to 2:45pm, to include a quick pass by "Mile Zero" of the Trans-Canada (Douglas St. at Belleville) and the Terry Fox Memorial.

If you are running late or are worried about sufficient charge for the extra trip to Colwood and back (~15-20 additional miles), please just meet us downtown and the Grand Pacific Hotel.

RSVP confirmations are appreciated, but not required. If the spirit moves you, come on down!

All the best, and safe travels,

Vincent and Maggie Argiro

cc: NWTOC Google Group, NWTRC email list