Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunshade for Windshield & Skylight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really think you and @K-MTG and others of similar mind (of which I am sure there are plenty) should just commission custom shades. That way you're in control of everything and will get exactly what you want. In my worldview, waiting on someone else to deliver something that may or may not fit your needs is an exercise in disappointment. Grab the reigns and hit up some makers - or even better, do it yourself if you're capable.

I emailed every Tesla 3rd party accessory provider (I found) a while back but none of them seemed interested.

I emailed every Tesla 3rd party accessory provider (I found) a while back but none of them seemed interested.
That's not surprising. Instead, get in touch with someone local who cuts and installs custom headliners, preferably alcantara, since I know that's the material you'd prefer for your shade. Tell them what you want - effectively a two-sided headliner with whatever connection mechanism you desire, made to order. You can drop off your X and let them build it to fit. It'll be luxe beyond the mass-produced perforated shade that Tesla is going to give away gratis (if at all). And you'll be able to perennially claim the title of Sunshade Captain.

Reactions: K-MTG
That's not surprising. Instead, get in touch with someone local who cuts and installs custom headliners, preferably alcantara, since I know that's the material you'd prefer for your shade. Tell them what you want - effectively a two-sided headliner with whatever connection mechanism you desire, made to order. You can drop off your X and let them build it to fit. It'll be luxe beyond the mass-produced perforated shade that Tesla is going to give away gratis (if at all). And you'll be able to perennially claim the title of Sunshade Captain.

Great idea but I don't know where to look. I was thinking to post on craigslist but I guess that would not be the best solution. If anyone has any recommendations that would be appreciated. How much do you think it would cost provided that I don't opt for the gold plated solution?

Great idea but I don't know where to look. I was thinking to post on craigslist but I guess that would not be the best solution.
I suggest strongly against craigslist. You'll get self proclaimed experts who are anything but.

Doing a quick Google search for "Irvine custom headliner" returns some results, which I won't bother posting here. Surely you could check out some of their work. Some of them appear to do custom shades for sunroofs, so you might be able to get clear examples.

I suggest strongly against craigslist. You'll get self proclaimed experts who are anything but.

Doing a quick Google search for "Irvine custom headliner" returns some results, which I won't bother posting here. Surely you could check out some of their work. Some of them appear to do custom shades for sunroofs, so you might be able to get clear examples.

Thanks, will send a few of them an email based on their Yelp reviews once I get an X. Do you think I should initially mention that I am installing on a Model X or will that result in a automatic premium? I didn't initially tell my electrician it was a Tesla charger so he gave me a quote for $100 or else when I called other services they were quoting $2k for a larger sub panel and 25 feet of 2 gauge wire.

Unfortunately, I don't see how you can get around mentioning the car when the subject of your commission is specifically for it.

Thanks, will send a few of them an email based on their Yelp reviews once I get an X. Do you think I should initially mention that I am installing on a Model X or will that result in a automatic premium? I didn't initially tell my electrician it was a Tesla charger so he gave me a quote for $100 or else when I called other services they were quoting $2k for a larger sub panel and 25 feet of 2 gauge wire.

As others have suggested I'll likely be going the custom route. I have a local shop around the corner from our SC that is very excited to work on this... Said they used to do similar for the Cadillac coupe that had only mesh over big glass moonroof.

As others have suggested I'll likely be going the custom route. I have a local shop around the corner from our SC that is very excited to work on this... Said they used to do similar for the Cadillac coupe that had only mesh over big glass moonroof.

Can't wait to hear more about this, please keep us posted with photos and info regarding the custom install

The sunshade works ok, but I don't like when the front windows are open and the air makes it flap. Imo, I don't like it for that very specific reason.

Tyler can, yes the X sunshade is the same mesh type material as the one on the Model S rear hatch.

I hope the resigned sunshades for the X are solid. Since it is mesh I would assume light still passes through or does it do an adequate job?