TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Suntek vs Xpel?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Taofang, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Taofang

Taofang Member

Hey guys!
    Getting my Model X in a month and wanted to ensure I get paint protection. Could anyone chime in on the differences between Suntek and Xpel? Looking to get the entire car wrapped and back seats.

Thanks so much in advance!

2. HookBill

HookBill Member

While I'm sure there are other reasons, Moe at Glistening Perfection in Orange County told me the primary differences are: (1)Suntek is a bit thinner with slightly less protection but leaves a shinier looking car. (2) Expel Ultimate is slightly thicker and will protect a bit better but doesn't leave quite the shine Suntek does.

3. ShadowR55

ShadowR55 Member

I had a 2015 corvette in which the front bumper was XPEL Ultimate and the hood and fenders were Suntek. The Suntek definitely has a smoother finish with less of the orange peel effect. Both protect your car from rock chips but from my experience, the Suntek will show where a rock has hit and damaged the film but XPEL is more forgiving and does not get damaged by small rock chips as easily as Suntek.

Suntek
    1. Glossier smooth finish
    2. Some rock nicks will show
    3, Harder film

Xpel
    1. Slightly thicker with a little bit of an orange peel effect
    2. Does not show most rock nicks
    3. Softer film

Most people on the corvette forum as well as my installer recommended that I get Xpel for the more damage prone areas like the front bumper and then Suntek for the rest.

• Informative x 1
  4. Taofang

Taofang Member

Thanks guys for the reply!

Do you know if the car would look awkward if its part xpel and part suntek? I love the extra protection it sounds xpel will provide but I also dont want to dull the paint and keep it glossy. I was thinking to do xpel on the front and rest maybe suntek?

5. ssq

ssq Member

Xpel is thicker and offers more protection . Suntek is thinner and glossier. Xpel ultimate has better warranty 10yrs with labor cost also included.

6. Firewired

Firewired Member

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I used Suntek primarily because of installer expertise. I didn't get good vibes from the Xpel installers at the time. The Suntek has been fine for 3.5 years and 73K miles. There are a couple of rock chips at the lip of the hood, but I'm not convinced that another film would be significantly better. It has saved the paint from other vehicles rubbing the car (fortunately, not hard enough to cause creases so the foreign paint was removed with tar and bug remover).

8. MoeMistry

MoeMistry Local Vendor - SoCal

Great question.

They each have their pros and cons, as does EVERY film on the market.

Suntek is for those not liking the look of clear bra or wanting the finish to look as close to original paint as possible. More aesthetics.

XPEL, for those wanting more protection and durability and a longer warranty, 10 years...suntek offers 5 years.

You usually don't mix and match film, but it's completely up to the owner. You could use xpel on bumpers and rockers, areas getting most of damage, and use Suntek on areas you visually notice more, like the hood.

By the time you nano coat the film, the gloss and depth are greatly improved and it looks pretty darn close to paint when you see it in sunlight.

Don't get too hung up on the film though...your installer is the most important factor in the equation. You should be looking for one specializing in Teslas, as this gives him/her the familiarity of the curves and body panels and a greater depth of knowledge of how/where to tuck the film and make strategic cuts to make the film as invisible as possible.

Also, stop by the shop and look at work in progress and finished work as well. That's the best indicator of the right installer for YOU.

9. Electrofied

Electrofied Member

I'm not sure people should get too hung up on the comments of clarity of XPEL. I find nothing wrong with it and it is installed on many supercars daily, if clarity was really an issue it wouldn't be. I cant tell the difference between an installed panel and a non installed one and if your looking that close to find a slight difference then PPF maybe isn't for you.

Both are great films and like MoeMistry said, the most important part of both of them is the installer!

10. AutoArmourXpel

AutoArmourXpel Local Vendor - SoCal

The Model X is a really cool vehicle and we’ve been lucky enough to work on quite a few of them now. With SunTek or Xpel, it really comes down to personal preference, but we tend to like Xpel more. Xpel really stands behind their product; so much so, they have a 10 year warranty which is double that of SunTek’s. However, SunTek’s film can be easier to work with as it stretches better and doesn’t tack down as quickly unless you use an accelerant, so it gives the installer a little more time to work complex curves – this is great for very complicated bumpers or body panels. But, the Model X isn’t that complicated of a vehicle. SunTek tends to yellow much faster than Xpel; especially on White cars. Xpel tends to have a bit more orange peel in it, but Tesla’s paint isn’t perfect so it’s pretty hard to see the difference of where the Xpel starts and stops at.