Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Imo It seems like FSD is severely underestimated by the market right now. From the latest reviews and tweets it seems that 11.3.x was massive improvement and it sounds like 11.4.x also will be a massive improvement to the point that many people are reporting majority zero intervention drives and not only in California. Mainly it proves the point that Tesla has a method of improving the system rapidly that is not hitting any walls yet. So 11.5 etc will likely keep bringing improvements to the point that it's getting hard to laugh at FSD anymore and the talk will quickly go from "Robotaxi will never work" to "Robotaxi easy to do, competition is coming to eat Tesla's lunch" lol.

Tesla has said that they intend to 10x their NN compute in 2023 and another 10x in 2024 And it's not like they were starting from a small capacity, they had one of the largest Nvidia clusters in the world in 2022. In 2024 they will have a the equivalent of 100 of them. How can this be ignored by the market?

It sounds like Europe might get FSD around Q1 2024 and they taking steps at expanding it to China. And Europe will not start from US2021 FSD, no it will pretty much be as good as US 2024 FSD after a few months. Even though they don't drive with FSD in Europe, you can bet they are running it in shadow mode collecting would been failures. The first quarter it's enable in Europe will be a rather large pure profit post as decent percent of their European fleet will enable it at once.

Still market seems to give FSD a value of ~0. Imo there are different scenarios with different estimated likelihoods and values. Some of the higher value ones such as robotaxi we can disagree on, but just the expensive addon "autopilot on city streets" is starting to look very likely and should be plenty valuable in itself. Let's say this can add another 5% margins(15k option, 15% take rate, 50k ASP ->~5% margins), imo that's pretty huge. 30% take rate and it's 10% margins. If not $15k then monthly and monthly is even higher margins but requires Wall Street to think so it will take longer to show in the valuation but the value is still there. This seems like a decent floor for the value of FSD, not to mention insurance gains etc. Robotaxi may or may not be far away, but even ignoring robotaxi FSD should be included in the calculation.

Then there is the question of the value of Dojo as a Service. If Dojo is indeed 6x cheaper than A100, Tesla can charge 50% of the price of A100 and still have 50%+ margins. And the market for this is clearly very large. Twitter and X.ai seems pretty locked in to be customers and Tesla can divert some of their nVidia expenses to Dojo expenses which in the end is the same as being a customer. And the market is starved for compute right now, like Elon said startups have to buy the chips from back alley dealers. Dojo as a service is not completely unlike AWS that's carrying Amazon right now and not completely unlike nVidia which has a higher value that Tesla. And AI seems to take over more and more so clearly this market is not negligible as Wall Street seems to think.

Reactions: CarlS and RabidYak
My former MBA prof in product launch and strategy reached out to me and just gave me a huge pep talk.

Here's some thoughts:

1. Tesla is going to become an aggregator in short order across 5 2030 trillion dollar industries: ai, robotics, vehicles, batteries, solar.
2. It's going to develop giant monopolies in all of those industries.
3. The nervous system of oil&gas and our energy consumption, transport, and utilization lifecycle is being ripped apart and infused with clean tech. We're living through it, but it definitely feels like a managed transition that's entirely dependent on everyone working together to make that happen based on this old system...of everything...to make the new one.
4. Systems of everything are going to change fundamentally and be infused with a clean energy consumption, transport, and utilization lifecycle that's drastically more efficient and abundant than ever before.
5. This is going to cause humanity to push past a sustainable Earth and to the stars, if done right.
6. Maybe the economy is the same as it was previously, but its going to be an economy based on abundance. Not resource starvation like it was, inherently, with a starved resource like fossil fuels. It's just different, so you need to think differently.

Everything said right now by most influencers is bs IMO (lots of noise, little signal), but real at the same time because so many are doing so well and there's just so much wealth generation.

My 2 cents!

Nice, I think Tesla will likely start with an RV and work their way up to a modular home. Makes sense to integrate all uses of heat as above. Thread here:
Tesla House / trailer home / travel trailer / RV
Each RV/home could come with its own Optimus that is trained specifically on all the equipment.
With or without a butler bot, Tesla are then equipped to disrupt the following industries:
  • Entire housing market
  • Housebuilders
  • Appliance manufacturers
  • Restaurants - Optimus makes your food
  • AirBnB
  • Hotels
  • RVs
and many more

Okay, okay, I will put away my Super Bull dreams for a couple of days...

For those interested in a standalone HVAC - see here:
Tesla heat pump / HVAC (non auto)

... Mars Base One. ;)

Cheers to the Longs!

Reactions: CarlS
Haha no, but shortzes did try to make a point in the After-hrs session today that 'AI ain't no thang...' which of course means Tesla AI is definately a thing, and one they're desperately afraid of.

More exactly, shortzes drove the SP back down to the same range that it had in the Oct 1st gap down on AI Day 2. Shortzes are absolutely afraid that the Market will (inexplicably) become 'forward-looking' (oh *sugar*) and realize that Tesla is going to achieve FSD sometime within the next 18 months (100 exaflops of training power with Dojo by end of 2024, and a million miles of FSD Beta fleet training data every 14 hrs says so).

Further, this is the beginning of artificial general intelligence (AGI) at Tesla, who is almost certainly working on a 'large-language model' right now with X.AI (Elon's startup). Image telling your car to take you home, and it stops at the store for milk because you forgot, haha. This one solves problems in the real world, possibly leading to a joint-venture between Tesla and X.AI as a competitor to ChatGPT.

The future will be amazing, and these shortzes are afraid of that. Desparately afraid.

Cheers to the Future!

P.S. Weekend OT: can we have Tim/Bill as the Undercard? ;)

Many folks think that Tesla's vehicle production output of 480K vehicles is some sort of upper bound on what was possible during Q2. I'm here to tell you it ain't so: (buckle up)
  • Shanghai has demonstrated monthly production capacity ~80K for the past 9 mths
  • Giga Shanghai has 3 GA lines: the original Model 3 line and two newer 2 Model Y lines
  • the Model 3 line is the oldest, so conservatively it has ~25K/mth capacity
  • this is the line which Telsa took down on June 1st for retooling w. "Project Highland"
  • ALL the above indicates that Tesla chose to forego ~25K of production in Q2
  • if they had chosen to, Tesla could easily have exceeded 500K production in Q2
What are the implications of this? Well, again, it likely means the new Shanghai line:
  • will produce >25K extra in H2 vs the old run rate (else why do it?)
  • it decreases COGS at an annual rate of -7% (per Pierre Ferragu)
  • consumes less physical space due to body shop robots replace w. gigacasting
  • allows installation of a 2nd Model 3 Highland line (possibly online by 2024)
What does this mean for 2023H2 Production? Well, let's add it all up:
  • 27.5K/mth Model 3 for H2 (to match Model Y output per line)
  • 6 mths of production of 3+2Y = ~500K
Does this get us to 2M total production in 2023? Well, it makes it possible. Remains to be seen when Fremont Project Highland comes online, as well as how much production there will be for Cybertruck. Also, the ramp continues for Model Y Production at both Berlin and Austin.

I say we've got a good shot at 2M production in 2023.

Cheers!

We are seeing the same destruction in the auto industry that SpaceX delivered to ULA, Boeing, ESA, Roscosmos, etc. It's fascinating that people can look at SpaceX's 85% market share and say "Huh, that's interesting", and not even think that the same CEO, who runs both companies in very a similar manner, could possibly destroy the entire auto industry (save the parts that will be propped up by governments).

SpaceX outcompeted the world with a single heavy manufacturing plant in Los Angeles of all places. Not exactly a cheap labor pool. Not exactly devoid of regulations.

Tesla became extremely competitive with a single plant based a stone's thrown from silicon valley. Again, probably the worst location to site a car manufacturing plant, except maybe Manhattan, but they more than pulled it off.

So it shouldn't be a surprise that with plants in Shanghai, Berlin, Texas, and soon Mexico, Tesla will absolutely obliterate the entire industry. And I do mean obliterate. The only reason they are still standing is that Tesla isn't big enough yet to have a fully fleshed out product line. And of course, we are now seeing the legacy manufacturers calling in their political chips to save their asses. GM and Ford in the US, and even China is now slow rolling Tesla's Chinese expansion plans. It's not going to matter, of course. They can play around at the margins in their government 15% market share sinecure while Tesla eventually owns the lions share of the market.

This assumes, of course, that Elon continues living and/or his management systems have become embedded enough to outlive him. The effective takeover of the auto market will still take another 10+ years, but unless things change drastically, that is absolutely where we are headed.

💯Entire automotive industry is likely to be replaced by Tesla. I would not be surprised if eventually majority of vehicles worldwide replaced by Tesla. This is much bigger than a company like Apple coming up with iPhone, where competition from Samsung and android still exist. This is a winnerTake all scenario. this is nothing the world has ever seen before. Tesla as a company, if successful in even half of its aspirations could easily become the New World superpower. What happens if Tesla eventually controls the entire sustainable economy, including auto, energy, Teslabot/all forms of artificial intelligence! Not to mention outside Tesla, spaceX, especially star link, neural link,x.com, truth, GPt etc.
For most, it is simply incomprehensible
Long-term shareholders of Berkshire Hathaway just might look like paupers in comparison to long-term tesla shareholders. Give it another 10 years and see.

The regular bulls are thinking the stock will drift sideways or down the next few weeks/months.

Here's my superbull reasoning why we're bound for unexpected bullish news :
- AI day #3 can be announced any day now. It is supposed to be held once a year and September/October is the expected timeframe. I expect the announcement in August (2023 lol).
- Cybertruck launch event will be held in the October to December timeframe. Announcement of this event is expected in August or maybe September.
- Starship orbital test flight #2 is expected for (NET) September. Announcement expected in August.

So yeah, I think August 2023 will surprise many. Not with actual events but with rising anticipation, hopefully leading to bullish momentum in the stock.

This is a Super Bull post.

What if Tesla spins up all aces on technology under development, what I mean by that is everything under development works in the next 2-3 years.
The end result is greater than the sum of the parts.

1. Single Crystal Cathode - Tesla has a patent on a way of making Single Crystal Cathode and there is the relevant Jeff Dahn research.
IMO it seems at least possible that Tesla could make Single Crystal Cathode material in the Austin cathode plant, that requires 2-stage sintering, but as far as I can tell 1-stage sintering is needed to make cathodes.
So the additional costs might be more lithium consumed, and more energy consumed, but the cell lifetime gains probably more than pay for the additional cost. One consideration is NMC-532 might not be sufficient energy density, for Cybertruck, but I assume this also works for higher energy densities,

2. V2G - if Single Crystal Cathode happens at Austin, the cells are a good fit for Cybertruck, Cybertruck has a large battery pack and 1,000 volt architecture then V2G would be a very good fit. Considering that some Cybertruck owners might have off-grid power, it would be a valuable back up for those applications., Battery pack warranties are not a consideration. At one time Jeff Dahn was also researching improving the longevity of LFP cells, we don't know if Tesla would be as happy to support V2G with LFP. If Tesla decides to not do high nickel V2G, it probably isn't for any technical reason,.

3. More Silicon in the Anode - This is probably one of the harder things on the list, I don't expect it before 2026, Tesla had already done some R&D before battery day, IMO this will work, but will take time. But eventually the energy density improvements will make a significant difference to EVs,

4. 4680 production and yield, this is a reason why 3. above may take a back seat for a while. IMO progress is being made and being bullishly optimistic I don't see why 4680 production will not eventually be working smoothly, perhaps as early as 6-12 months, but certainly no later than 2-3 years assuming no unexpected problems. Once it is working well, new factories are essentially a cut-and-paste at least in terms of the equipment, staff recruitment, staff training and raw materials may be the bottleneck.

5. Total picture on batteries, in combination 1.,2.,3.,4. provides high volumes of low cost batteries with good cycle-life and good energy density.

6. 48V architecture, wiring harness, 1,000? volt charging, etc, Higher voltage has advantages for fast charging, probably V2G and probably the electric motors. 48V architectures save weight and copper, but IMO also works well with HW4, steer-by-wire, variable ratio steering and brake-by-wire.

7. $1,000 drivetrain - rare earth free motors, I'm interested to know if this leverages or requires an 1,000 volt architecture, if this is just limited to Gen3 vehicles or if similar principles can be applied to higher spec models.

8. Steer-by-wire, variable ratio steering - Cybertruck may have this, it is a good fit with a 48V architecture and rear wheel steering, the next question is if/when it migrates to other models.

9. Brake-by-wire again this is good fit with a 48V harness with redundant ethernet paths, In particular it seems like a good fit with the Gen3 unboxed process.

10. Cybertruck - most of 1..9 above may be part of Cybertruck or a future upgrade to Cybertruck, it is a distinctive vehicle which is a moving billboard and I think the off-road and towing specs will stack up.

11. Model 3 Highland - possibly not V2G but most of the list above could apply, it could also have Gigacastings and a structural battery pack. All improvements made to Model 3 will also be done to model Y/S/X possibly as early as by the end of 2024.

12. Gen3 - 1..3 probably don't apply, but most of the rest of the list including perhaps 4680 production may apply. FSD is also relevant for Robotaxis. While there may be some teething problems, I expect the unboxed process and the Gen3 production ramp to be a success.

13. FSD - IMO Robotaxis seem possible 2024/2025, that looks like a good fit with the Gen3 ramp, and the Tesla solution seems superior to Cruise and Waymo,

14. Semi 4680 cell production volumes is the main issue. But most of 1..4 may be relevant, and some of 6..9 may eventually be relevant, This is already a good product but further improvement seems possible,

Most of the other areas of the business like energy storage may get some benefits from 1..4, but that isn't essential, no particular technological breakthroughs are required. but some may happen.

We may also see new products like heat pumps, but they are not on this list as it is mainly focused on automotive.