Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Super charger etiquette question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I left my 70D overnight at Santee last September. When you arrive at 12:30am and want to hit the road at 8am, there's very little choice. Plus, the Courtyard is about ¼ mile from the SC. No one was there when I arrived, and no one was there when I left, and I'd make a large wager that no one was there in between. I'd call Tesla just to make sure, but you'll be fine. Enjoy the trip.
What do you mean there's "little choice"? Wake up earlier to start charging, or leave later. Just because you want to hit the road by 8 am does not make it acceptable to park overnight at a supercharger. Perhaps you should chose a hotel with destination charging next trip if your schedule is so important to you.

What do you mean there's "little choice"? Wake up earlier to start charging, or leave later. Just because you want to hit the road by 8 am does not make it acceptable to park overnight at a supercharger. Perhaps you should chose a hotel with destination charging next trip if your schedule is so important to you.

I have never used a Supercharger as I haven't taken any long enough road trips in my car yet, but in his example he is arriving at 12:30am and leaving at 8:00am. I have a P100D, and if I arrive at 12:30am with say a 5% SOC and want to go ahead and charge to 100% since it is an overnight stop it is going to take somewhere around 2.5 to 3 hours to charge at the supercharger, right? A destination charger likely wouldn't be able to charge the car even in the full 7.5 hours, so what choice do you have in that situation if you need a 100% charge? (don't say a 100% charge isn't necessary, because sometimes it is)

I have never used a Supercharger as I haven't taken any long enough road trips in my car yet, but in his example he is arriving at 12:30am and leaving at 8:00am. I have a P100D, and if I arrive at 12:30am with say a 5% SOC and want to go ahead and charge to 100% since it is an overnight stop it is going to take somewhere around 2.5 to 3 hours to charge at the supercharger, right?
No. Not right. And it's highly unlikely someone with a 100 kWh battery would NEED to charge to 100% at a supercharger. Even with my 60 I've rarely needed to. (95% a few times, but the last few % above that are agonizingly slow and usually not necessary.)

I'm afraid I'm with the post that emphasized "etiquette." I certainly can understand being tired, and I certainly understand how only a few supercharger stations have problems with crowds. However, etiquette is not something that applies only when it's convenient. In fact, much of etiquette is all about inconveniencing one's self in order to avoid inconveniencing another. The problem that occurs when we start to ignore etiquette simply because it does not suit us at the moment is that etiquette erodes quickly thereafter.

The etiquette in this case is simple: If you do not need to be charging, then don't block a charger.

We all knew what we were getting into when we bought a Tesla. I like vdiv's suggestion of doing a little tonight and more in the morning. If you really need to crash, then just get up a little earlier and charge then.

I can't speak to the idle fees. I don't know if anyone knows what the hell is going on with those.

No. Not right. And it's highly unlikely someone with a 100 kWh battery would NEED to charge to 100% at a supercharger. Even with my 60 I've rarely needed to. (95% a few times, but the last few % above that are agonizingly slow and usually not necessary.)

Here's the situation, after you leave the supercharger you are going on a trip where you will not be able to charge again until you get back to that same supercharger, and you will arrive with exactly 1 rated mile. So in that situation, you need to charge to 100%. That is just one example, but that was not the point. There are times when you need to charge to 100%, so just saying "no you don't" isn't helpful.

Also, based on the below supercharging curve which I've seen on here several times, it takes 2 hours to take a 85D to 100% from 0%, so presumably a 100kW battery would take longer. Either way, at 12:30am your only two choices are drag your ass out of bed in the middle of the night and lose at least an hour of sleep (when you are likely only going to get maybe 6 hours total) or just leave the car plugged in all night.

J1GoBSn.gif

I said "no" to the assertion that it would take 2.5 to 3 hours to charge to 100%. Your scenario would fall into the category of "highly unlikely" that I mentioned, and your graph shows just how few miles are added after charging for 80 or 90 minutes. Virtually none. If someone really needs those last few miles he's cutting it too close and should plan differently.

Reactions: brkaus and liuping
I have never used a Supercharger as I haven't taken any long enough road trips in my car yet, but in his example he is arriving at 12:30am and leaving at 8:00am. I have a P100D, and if I arrive at 12:30am with say a 5% SOC and want to go ahead and charge to 100% since it is an overnight stop it is going to take somewhere around 2.5 to 3 hours to charge at the supercharger, right? A destination charger likely wouldn't be able to charge the car even in the full 7.5 hours, so what choice do you have in that situation if you need a 100% charge? (don't say a 100% charge isn't necessary, because sometimes it is)

Wrong on both charge times. Bigger packs charge faster on Superchargers, so all of them should take between 90 minutes and 2 hours to get to 100% from empty if they aren't limited by a cold battery or input power (except for the newer 60s that are really 75s, they take a lot less time since they never hit the slow parts of the taper.)

If a destination charger is the full 100A at 240V HPWCs are capable of, an older dual charger 85 or 90 can fully charge on it in 4 hours, and a new 100 with the high power option (which is still 10% slower than the dual chargers) in less than six hours from zero.

Not all destination chargers are that powerful, of course, but many are (and the most common lesser case of 208V at 100A would still get the car fully charged in less than the 7.5 hours specified, if the car has the charger upgrade.)

Reactions: vdiv
I have one. They are capable of being installed on 100A lines with 100A breakers to deliver 80A continuous, which is what I meant, and what folks usually mean when they talk about 100A on an HPWC.

"Which is what I meant" - fine, but that's not what you wrote.

I can't speak for other folks but I've never considered anything but the delivered current when talking about L2 chargers in the context you were - charging times.

When I arrive at Santee late I admit to have left my car at the stall connected all night if there were no other cars there. OTOH, if one stays at Clark's it is a one minute walk to go and disconnect, then reconnect for a topoff during breakfast.
At Kingsland I have never seen more than three cars. Both of those probably get full during tourist season at peak hours, although I personally have never seen that.

The point remains that a HPWC will charge any Tesla overnight when delivering 80A on a 100A circuit.

What % of Teslas have the twin charger that can charge at 80 amps or the high amp charger that can charge at 72 amps? Based on the order tracking spreadsheet it is one of the least selected options. The example the poster had said he was arriving at 12:30 am with a 8:00 am departure. It is not possible to fully charge a 100kW battery from 0% in 7.5 hours at 48 amps.