Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Super charger etiquette question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Either way, at 12:30am your only two choices are drag your ass out of bed in the middle of the night and lose at least an hour of sleep (when you are likely only going to get maybe 6 hours total) or just leave the car plugged in all night.

Plan to get there earlier or leave later. Otherwise plan to get less sleep that night. Poor planning Is no justification for inappropriately blocking that space.

Reactions: JClu
Plan to get there earlier or leave later. Otherwise plan to get less sleep that night. Poor planning Is no justification for inappropriately blocking that space.

Plans don't always work out. Unplanned problems like accidents, weather or traffic can delay you. If you arrive at 12:30am even though you planned to arrive earlier, and you don't have any flexibility in your schedule the next day, you could realistically be stuck between deciding whether to get back on the road the next day with only 4 hours of sleep instead of 6 or 7 and potentially endangering yourself, your family and all the other drivers on the road or violating some made up "etiquette" rules that people on the internet came up with. I think I know the decision that 98% of the people would make in that situation.

Reactions: Archduke
I have never used a Supercharger as I haven't taken any long enough road trips in my car yet, but in his example he is arriving at 12:30am and leaving at 8:00am. I have a P100D, and if I arrive at 12:30am with say a 5% SOC and want to go ahead and charge to 100% since it is an overnight stop it is going to take somewhere around 2.5 to 3 hours to charge at the supercharger, right? A destination charger likely wouldn't be able to charge the car even in the full 7.5 hours, so what choice do you have in that situation if you need a 100% charge? (don't say a 100% charge isn't necessary, because sometimes it is)

Just plug in to the supercharger at 6 am and leave at 8 am. Or, pick a hotel with a destination charger.

GSP

Just plug in to the supercharger at 6 am and leave at 8 am. Or, pick a hotel with a destination charger.

GSP

You didn't read the posts above, as those options were all debunked. Getting up in time to plug in at 6am means you only get about 4 hours of sleep endangering yourself, your family and everyone else on the road and a destination charger may not be able to fully charge your car in the short amount of time available.

You didn't read the posts above, as those options were all debunked. Getting up in time to plug in at 6am means you only get about 4 hours of sleep endangering yourself, your family and everyone else on the road and a destination charger may not be able to fully charge your car in the short amount of time available.

Get up at 6. Plug in. Go back to bed 10 min later. No big deal at all.

GSP

Reactions: JClu
What % of Teslas have the twin charger that can charge at 80 amps or the high amp charger that can charge at 72 amps? Based on the order tracking spreadsheet it is one of the least selected options. The example the poster had said he was arriving at 12:30 am with a 8:00 am departure. It is not possible to fully charge a 100kW battery from 0% in 7.5 hours at 48 amps.
Getting way off track here. The OP was plugged into a supercharger overnight and said he WANTED to charge to 100% since he was charging overnight, not that he NEEDED to. I pointed out that if he didn't want to move his car from the supercharger, perhaps he should have chosen a hotel with a destination charger. You're right, if he had a 48A charger he wouldn't get to 100% in 7 1/2 hours, but he would add well over 200 miles of range. That's more than enough to get him to the next supercharger. Let's stop making excuses for his bad behavior.

Welcome to TMC! :)
The dual charger was the second upgrade that I got on my car after the LTE modem. Have used it regularly while traveling and consider it a good option to have. Taking advantage of destination charging and patronizing the businesses that have installed it is a great thing and so is getting off the beaten path when traveling.

Reactions: Chaz and GSP
Studies of sleep deprived drivers have shown again and again that they are as dangerous as drunk drivers. I don't want to be the person who does either of those things nor do I want to encourage it.

Plans are awesome. Unfortunately, sometimes external forces require us to adhere to a plan that is less than ideal on many levels. Perhaps a schedule has to be kept. Perhaps we are given a very tight time frame. Perhaps the hotel with the destination charger has no vacancy. Perhaps, for one reason or another, there won't be an opportunity to stop at another SuperCharger after leaving our destination the following day.

The OP asked about etiquette at what I understand from the conversation to be a SuperCharger location that isn't normally very busy. And most of you are answering with a very rigid, one size fits all circumstances 'never-leave-your-car-at-a-stall-unless-actively-charging' response. I get it. None of us want to encourage this behavior. But even Emily Post would agree that rules of etiquette are rarely set in stone. And I have a very hard time believing she'd opt for sending a driver out on the road sleep deprived thereby endangering their life and the lives of others when other options exist.

So here's what I'd tell the OP, with the full disclosure that I have only used a SuperCharger once: Do all you can to avoid leaving your car at the SuperCharger overnight. But if you feel there is no other solution than to do that, leave a note on your dash that is clearly visible to others that says something along the lines of "I am so sorry to leave my car idling in this stall. I arrived exhausted with an empty battery and have a very early start tomorrow morning. If my car is preventing anyone from charging, please, do not hesitate to call me at (XXX) XXX-XXXX, and I will come move it immediately." And be sure to keep your phone near the bed with the ringer turned on.

Problem. Solved.

Here's another question then. A few weeks back I was driving from Utah to Truckee CA. I stopped for the night in Reno as I was tired and didn't want to show up at my friends place where I was staying in Truckee at 2am. The supercharger at that hotel in Reno was empty except for 1 other Tesla, parked, but not plugged in. I plugged in went inside and booked a room, and once settled in had charged enough to easily make it to Truckee (not that far). I then moved my car to the mostly empty lot for overnight. The other car was still there, not charging, 30 minutes later.

Should I have plugged in the other car? Idle fees might have been accrued on it as a lesson. (I didn't)

/edit Should add this unplugged car had a temp sticker in the window, it was clear someone had just bought it.

Here's another question then. A few weeks back I was driving from Utah to Truckee CA. I stopped for the night in Reno as I was tired and didn't want to show up at my friends place where I was staying in Truckee at 2am. The supercharger at that hotel in Reno was empty except for 1 other Tesla, parked, but not plugged in. I plugged in went inside and booked a room, and once settled in had charged enough to easily make it to Truckee (not that far). I then moved my car to the mostly empty lot for overnight. The other car was still there, not charging, 30 minutes later.

Should I have plugged in the other car? Idle fees might have been accrued on it as a lesson. (I didn't)

/edit Should add this unplugged car had a temp sticker in the window, it was clear someone had just bought it.
I can think of a bunch of things I would like to do (but wouldn't do) to a Tesla parked at a supercharger not plugged in. Plugging it in isn't one if them, temp sticker or no temp sticker.