Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ahh... ok. I always hear it referred to as the OLM (Orbital Launch Mount)... perhaps that's specifically the ring at the top, however...
I believe the Orbital Launch Mount is the thing with legs and ring that the rocket sits on (including water deluge system?), while the Orbital Launch Integration Tower is the tower itself, with chopsticks, quick disconnect arms, etc.

Reactions: Grendal
I believe the Orbital Launch Mount is the thing with legs and ring that the rocket sits on (including water deluge system?), while the Orbital Launch Integration Tower is the tower itself, with chopsticks, quick disconnect arms, etc.

Oh duh. That makes sense. I assumed that given it was referred to as "repair" that was an OLM leg... but yeah, I suppose the tower could have sustained damage as well, despite being physically some distance to the side. 16 million pounds of thrust can do that...

I'll have more coffee now...

Thanks.

Reactions: Grendal
I assumed that given it was referred to as "repair" that was an OLM leg...
It was. The tower foundations weren't affected. BocasBrain was being lazy with his use of terms.

SpaceX should call the whole schmeer Space Launch Complex 1 so they can refer to it as SLC-1, which is pronounced "slick-1", staying consistent with Cape Canaveral terminology. That would cover the launch mount, integration tower, ground support equipment and deluge system. Oh, and the parking lot.

Aaand it's back.
hotring.jpg

I was watching the NSF live stream on that. The Twitter video ends while the Starship is still about a foot above the booster. They were very slowly bringing them together as it seemed they were having some alignment issues. The NSF feed continued for another half hour until they were touching, but as one of the commentators noted, it looked like there was contact on one side, but a gap on the other. I hope that's not indicative of any sort of problem.

Starting at 1:02 in this NSF video the recent re-stacking sequence is shown. Before it started it shows S25 being depressurized before the lift begins. I had forgotten that the ship was kept pressurized when it was not stacked and on the stand next to the OLM.

Good closeup view of the ship being aligned with the booster before mating. This is the moment where they made contact and the gap noted by @JB47394 can be seen on the left side of the image.

IMG_0229.jpeg