Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Super loud fan while super charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.png
image.png
image.png
When I'm supercharging my model X it's super loud for like the first 30 minutes or so. It sounds like a fan is working really hard. A decibel meter on my phone says it's at 84 decibels. I can literally hear my car inside the store near the supercharger. My model s was never this loud. Anybody else experience this? Is this possible due to the swapped AC hoses issue that's going around with the loud AC? My car is locked and climate control is off though.

Not sure if it's related but my app says it's 92 degrees inside but it's only been parked about 30 minutes, it's overcast today and the outside temperature is 64 degrees. So I'm pretty sure the thermometer is lying. Could that be why the car thinks it needs to run the fan at jet engine speed?

Yes I have and not just supercharging but literally all the time when outside temperature is in high 90s or over. I had TM check it out and they said its normal operations. The explanation is that Model X uses a single larger fan and is placed right behind the front bumper in the middle and so you hear it more. You can actually feel the hot air coming through the lips in the front. I believe someone posted that the redesigned Model S is also doing the same.

When I took of my delivery of my MX90D a couple of weeks ago, one of the first things I noticed was how loud the A/C was. Anytime the temp outside was over 85 degrees, the A/C compressor would ramp up to 100% and would stay that way the whole time. It seemed really weird and I asked the SC about it. They all said it was normal.

However, a few days later, I began to hear a grinding noise from the front end. It sounded exactly like the sound you hear when you put your finger on a spinning fan. They took a look and sure enough, the A/C cables were reversed and routed in such a way that it made contact with the compressor (hence the sound). After they fixed everything (including evacuating and refilling the freon), the A/C was a lot quieter. It still will go to 100% when you first turn it on if its really hot outside but it ramps down quickly as the cabin cools. Overall it's much quieter.

I haven't Supercharged yet, so I'm curious as to how loud the A/C will be when I do.

You're not alone.

Picked up ours from getting XPEL today and the installer mentioned it sounded like an airplane any time he opened the doors while working. Also supercharged today and could hear the car across the lot :eek:

I wonder why the AC is even on when I'm supercharging though if I'm not in the car. Or maybe it's just a fan cooling the battery while it's charging?

Man I wish the SC could do something about it - like putting some sound deadening foam in the bumper.

I supercharged during a 160 mile trip at midday, it was 98 degrees and my a/c was running. There was fan noise but not nearly as loud as some of you describe it to be. Couldn't hear it from 30ft away. I always have range mode on, temp set to 68 and fan on 5-8. Have the SC check the compressor lines since this has been reported to be a problem for some experiencing the noise.

• Helpful
Reactions: chloedog
Or maybe it's just a fan cooling the battery while it's charging?

While we were in the car it started to get warm. There was a little red exclamation mark at the top of the screen and when we tapped it a message appeared saying the battery was cooling and that HVAC was essentially reduced or disabled. So yeah, seems to be battery cooling.

I haven't supercharged since the fix...Next time I do I'll keep an ear out for it. As for the thermometer, I never really paid attention to that before so I'm not sure. But I have noticed that I don't have to run the a/c as low on the temp setting as before. I was running 65 to get cool, now I'm at 72-73 regularly.