Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

supercharge.info is down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Darmie

Supporting Member
Jan 13, 2016
Santa Fe TX.
I was really sorry to see superchare.info is down. Why is Google doing this?
Something will come in and fill the void. I feel it. We have seen this before with other web services that are impacted with Google’s new pricing structure. I sense the beginning to the end of Google right here.

• Love
Reactions: GSP
I was really sorry to see superchare.info is down. Why is Google doing this?
Something will come in and fill the void. I feel it. We have seen this before with other web services that are impacted with Google’s new pricing structure. I sense the beginning to the end of Google right here.

I'm sure he could change it to use openstreetmaps or a different site that provides cheaper maps. ABRP changed over a while back for the same reason.

Uh, what is/was supercharge.info?
It lists all Supercharger locations in the world and shows the history of when they were built.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and suwaneedad
@BlueShift Can we do a GoFundMe or some form of voluntary (or required paywall if needed) for the map. I'd be good with maybe a $20/year subscription - get 1000 of those and you are out of the red and into the black. Just a thought.

Somebody else created a GoFundMe several years ago, but I don't know what happened with the monies.
Click here to support BlueShift's Fund - Supercharge.info organized by Carl Saxton

If somebody can confirm it's truly alive and OK I'll make a well-overdue contribution. (I'll admit that I also preferred to use Supercharge.info for other map lookups because it's so much simpler and easier to use than Maps itself, which is so heavily focused on providing directions from your current location.)

Reactions: Pluto
$1,000/mo fee is absurd for small time users like this. I don't necessarily expect or demand that Google give away their services for free, but they really should have a different fee structure for these types of scenarios. Waze for Tesla went through the same thing. These are small-time folk having a good time helping the Tesla community. Not cool Google...

Somebody else created a GoFundMe several years ago, but I don't know what happened with the monies.

The site 4Giving.com is purpose built to help create transparent, low-cost donations for things like this. Offered to anyone interested in creating an easy pay + accounting solution. Stripe does the credit card processing. There's even a Tesla story on the site. Free to start the fundraiser for anyone interested in doing so...

Fees are only 4%.

Enjoy!

Chris

Well, google certainly does have a compelling product, and it can not be cheap to take and update street view photos of roads covering nearly the entire planet. Someone at Google must have decided the product should be profitable. Reasonable. I/we have now contributed toward that goal. :)

There were two GoFundMe campaigns started by someone on TMC in years past and the donations were generous-- a few thousand dollars, more than covering this most recent expense.

How to go forward though.

Suggestions have been pouring in. Have an inbox full of offers of help and suggestions for alternatives.

Trouble is, I created supercharge.info when I had no children, but I now have two (2 years old and 6 months old). I'm having trouble finding time to evaluate alternatives much less write code for them. I think it is time to open this up to a community and let any interested developer/programmer contribute. At least I'm going to try that.

@rypalmer and others that might want to evaluate some solutions, I'll put the code up on · GitHub in the next day or two. The front end javascript is easy to run locally and point at the exiting public API.