Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger – Goodland, KS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost made it to Goodland non-stop today, but high speed and headwinds were my undoing. I could have done it if I slowed down, but a quick 7 minuted top up in Limon, a stretch of my legs and I was on my way.

It was very interesting to charge here after visiting the location 1.7 years ago before construction started. The Steak and Shake is a nice addition, next door. Had an early dinner while waiting for an 80% charge to make it the 144 miles to Hays at speed.

Supercharger-Goodland-ed.jpeg

Someone has to verify that the Goodland, KS Supercharger is still functioning, and that someone is me. There is a Steak N Shake right next to the chargers, so there's a restroom and food nearby. Don't forget to visit the world's largest Van Gogh painting, and make sure you stop by the High Plains Museum.

Attachments

• IMG_9451-1.jpg
    IMG_9451-1.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_9453-1.jpg
    IMG_9453-1.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_9454-1.jpg
    IMG_9454-1.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_9456-1.jpg
    IMG_9456-1.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_9462-1.jpg
    IMG_9462-1.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_9470-1.jpg
    IMG_9470-1.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_9491-1.jpg
    IMG_9491-1.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_9495-1.jpg
    IMG_9495-1.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 103
Just ate at the Steak 'n Shake. Worst. Service. Ever. I'm from Champaign Urbana, the home of Steak n Shake. I'm embarrassed. 3/4 of tables not bussed. Had to wait to be seated. 2 other groups in the restaurant. Had to wait to pay while 6 workers ignored me. Tesla should move the supercharger.
because of poor service in an adjacent restaurant?
really?
fwiw: the SpC is on the holiday inn property, and stake n' shake is not exactly a fine dining establishment.

Reactions: wcfinvader
Sounds like they're short-handed at the S&S. Did you notice if there were help wanted signs posted? It could be that they just don't have enough employees. There's a Pizza Ranch restaurant next door to a hotel where I'm trying to get Destination Chargers installed. The PR sign has a section where they can add their own custom messages (stuff like "Kids eat free on Tuesday", etc.), and for the past couple of months it has read "Please come work for us!" And this is in a small town out in the middle of nowhere.

Reactions: wcfinvader
The only Steak & Shake I have ever ventured into was across the street from an SC in northeastern Ohio, and that only because of the ongoing travesty that would be the decision to close all of the White Castles in the area.

The service was so bad, and the restaurant so... disheveled that I left before I was extended the opportunity to risk food poisoning.

I thought about venturing into the one at Goodland, but it was early and it did not appear that they were quite open for, or if they even had breakfast.

Sounds like they're short-handed at the S&S. Did you notice if there were help wanted signs posted? It could be that they just don't have enough employees. There's a Pizza Ranch restaurant next door to a hotel where I'm trying to get Destination Chargers installed. The PR sign has a section where they can add their own custom messages (stuff like "Kids eat free on Tuesday", etc.), and for the past couple of months it has read "Please come work for us!" And this is in a small town out in the middle of nowhere.
wouldn't that charger be redundant with the SpC right across the street? especially since it is just a wide spot in the road in the middle of nothing

A couple of items to report about Goodland:

1) I was pulled over for nothing more than a bogus reason only because I had Colorado plates, temp tags, and an expensive car, so I must have contraband. Be aware there is a cop who sits near the offramp and will turn his lights on for the most minor of things.

2) On my way back from Hays (in a 60D), I had to reduce my speed to 55 at one point. It was cold, windy, and ~1600 ft in elevation gain. Definitely make sure you have a full charge and warm batteries in Hays before you attempt this trek in the winter.

That was written in sarcastic font! I realize that doesn't show thru. Of course I don't blame tesla! The service did suck though.

Agreed, when I went through there I was unable to get served by this steak and shake, horrible experience. It would almost make me think this was not a real restraunt but a front for somthing else if not for the other comments from folks who were able to eat here. As such I avoided this route on following trips.

We went through two times in early October of last year (2016). Ate at the S&S and it was fine and the service was fine. I wanted vegan and found some things to eat and it was good tasting for the cheap price. From our experience in early October 2016, it was fine. (Vegans and vegetarians don't get me wrong: I don't think they offered anything, but I got a salad and a couple other items, it tasted good and was inexpensive. I don't usually hope for much more from a "Steak and Shake" kind of place.)

I stopped at Goodland, Limon, and Denver. It's somewhat quicker to charge at each rather than do one long charger because of the charging taper. Spent the night at Goodland and then Cheyenne.

BTW, the Nav system wants to route you on the toll road from the Denver airport. Instead, just keep on 70 to 25. It's also very easy when going west to drive into the airport rather than avoiding it. Took us about an hour an a half to make it out and then side roads to 25. Heading back there's no problem (other than avoiding that toll road).

Forgot to reply. I did my trip over a year ago. I did have to stop because of an windy ice storm. I have never seen the charge drop that fast. I almost didn't make it to Limon SC.

Anyways thanks for that reply. I do believe I was planning on skipping it. But im sure with perfect weather its possible.