Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger — Kingsland, GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just stopped the site. The Tesla tech was there. He could only give the canned answer "soon." One thing I know...he has a sweet company car.
1447774899620.jpg

So, this is what it feels like to be a stalker...

Just drove past the supercharger and noticed the technicians MS is now backed into the "charging position." The drivers door was open so I couldn't tell if he was plugged in, but it makes sense to me that he would have to charge the car to make it to his next stop.

I'm nearby having lunch at Cracker barrel (today's lunch special is meatloaf BTW) and will swing by after I eat to see if the charger is up and running.

So, this is what it feels like to be a stalker...

Just drove past the supercharger and noticed the technicians MS is now backed into the "charging position." The drivers door was open so I couldn't tell if he was plugged in, but it makes sense to me that he would have to charge the car to make it to his next stop.

I'm nearby having lunch at Cracker barrel (today's lunch special is meatloaf BTW) and will swing by after I eat to see if the charger is up and running.

In the final checks, they run each Cabinet at low power, verify good operation, then turn up the power and charge at each pedestal with a Tesla as a last check.

Sounds like Kingsland is very close...

In the final checks, they run each Cabinet at low power, verify good operation, then turn up the power and charge at each pedestal with a Tesla as a last check.

Sounds like Kingsland is very close...

During my follow up stalk....err visit I noticed the MS was charging on the far left charger. The car was on the charger to the far right when I first mentioned it being in the "charging position." That lines up with the process you described. I have a few more things to take care of in/around Kingsland. Hopefully I can confirm the charger is active before I go home today.

If everything passes their test, this site will likely be up today or tomorrow based on what's been reported so far. Is this a record for SC construction?
It might be a tie with Binghamton, PDQ!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for stalking. This SC could save me an hour on my drive from Florida to WV on Saturday. It also may allow me to run the heater!
When you stop by, let them know what hero's they are for keeping my family warm!
I'll beat you to it. Passing through on Thursday.
Heat, seriously?

I can hardly believe this speed. I'm ready to take the trip just to charge here, and have lunch at salt.pepper.thyme, of course. Is there an inauguration party planned?

This is going to be great for my Thanksgiving pilgrimage from Massachusetts to Florida. Last year I had to stop by the St Augustine outlets on black friday, you can imagine how much fun that was... Cost me about $200 too b/c I stopped to buy sunglasses while I was there :-/

O.K. This is the latest. I thought I was going to be able to tell you all that the charger is active today, but I cant.

I visited the site one last time this afternoon and noticed the white MS was gone as well as the other 2-3 contractors that had been working on their. There were no cones or any other markings to tell me the site was not authorized for use so I thought I'd back in, hook up, take a quick pic of the car plugged in along with the charging data. I plugged in, the charge indicator turned green, and my car began accepting the charge. Just as I'm about to snap the pic the white MS pulls up. The technician gets out and said "Sir, this charger not ready for use, it's not live, I'm going to have to stop your charge." With that, he unplugged my car. I asked him how I would know when the charger was ready for use. To which he replied "when it shows up in your navigation." I thanked him and left.

So...to be continued I guess.

NOTE: This post is not intended to complain about the service tech. He was very professional.

I plugged in, the charge indicator turned green, and my car began accepting the charge. Just as I'm about to snap the pic the white MS pulls up. The technician gets out and said "Sir, this charger not ready for use, it's not live, I'm going to have to stop your charge." With that, he unplugged my car. I asked him how I would know when the charger was ready for use. To which he replied "when it shows up in your navigation." I thanked him and left.

I showed up at Buffalo one evening just after it was reported on-line (but still not in the map). The stereotype White Tesla showed up and backed into a charging station, but didn't start charging. The guy sat in the car typing on his cell phone for a while then got out. I said "what's up", he showed me his Tesla employee badge and said he'd just sent a message to the mother ship authorizing them to mark it "available".

The marker was on the map when I woke up the next morning. Timing is everything.

I visited the site one last time this afternoon and noticed the white MS was gone as well as the other 2-3 contractors that had been working on their. There were no cones or any other markings to tell me the site was not authorized for use so I thought I'd back in, hook up, take a quick pic of the car plugged in along with the charging data. I plugged in, the charge indicator turned green, and my car began accepting the charge. Just as I'm about to snap the pic the white MS pulls up. The technician gets out and said "Sir, this charger not ready for use, it's not live, I'm going to have to stop your charge." With that, he unplugged my car. I asked him how I would know when the charger was ready for use. To which he replied "when it shows up in your navigation." I thanked him and left.

It seems like Tesla has more recently been quicker than they used to be between go live and the Supercharger appearing in the nav, so unless they identified a problem, the wait shouldn't be too bad.

O.K. This is the latest. I thought I was going to be able to tell you all that the charger is active today, but I cant.

So...to be continued I guess.

NOTE: This post is not intended to complain about the service tech. He was very professional.

Very interesting... This is a new reaction from a Tesla Tech concerning early charging. In most, if not all, previous situations, the Tesla folks have been very welcoming with early use by Tesla owners. In fact, in some places, the Tesla owners have helped with the checkout by plugging in their cars beside the Tesla corporate cars.

There are a few possibilities that I can think of:

1. This Tech decided to be more careful than the average Tesla Tech.
  2. Along with the guidance to contractors to keep their mouths shut, Tesla has decided to disallow early charging before official opening announcement.
  3. There is something wrong with the site that needs to be corrected before it is safe for customers to charge.

I wonder what the status will be tonight. Could someone drive up later tonight and plug in?

Very interesting... This is a new reaction from a Tesla Tech concerning early charging. In most, if not all, previous situations, the Tesla folks have been very welcoming with early use by Tesla owners. In fact, in some places, the Tesla owners have helped with the checkout by plugging in their cars beside the Tesla corporate cars.

There are a few possibilities that I can think of:

1. This Tech decided to be more careful than the average Tesla Tech.
  2. Along with the guidance to contractors to keep their mouths shut, Tesla has decided to disallow early charging before official opening announcement.
  3. There is something wrong with the site that needs to be corrected before it is safe for customers to charge.

I wonder what the status will be tonight. Could someone drive up later tonight and plug in?

So now that its on Find Us website I'm guessing 3 wasn't the reason. I think the tech was just rude. If he didn't want anyone charging he should have left the cones in place regardless of the reason for not wanting anyone charging. Not on my Nav screen yet. Usually they pop up on the Nav before the Find Us page though.
This is fantastic for us. We'll be able to skip St Augustine and head straight for Kingsland from Ocala. Its the best improvement in routing since Ocala came online and eliminated Orlando from my route north. Thanks Tesla!