Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger 150kw sharing no priority on arrival?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is really only for those who understand tesla's 150kw charging station's charge sharing operation.

For those who are interested in the details read below:

In the old old days superchargers use to be limited to 120kw and it was shared between 1A 1B 2A 2B etc. Moreover who ever connects first gets priority in charging meaning the 2nd person who connects will start to charge slow and then gradually speed up as the 1st person fill up. This was optimal because charging capability was maximize because you slow down charging when you are near full and that excess capacity can be used by another tesla. Hence the sharing. Double the charging slot without doubling the stations capacity.

However recently I notice it doesnt matter when you arrive. I noticed when I am plugged in first without anyone next to me, I would charge fast, but the moment someone next to me plugs in sharing the same charging cabinet, the charging speed would drop instantly to around 70KW max from 90KW. I have a 90D. other times it would be worst like down to 50KW. And It would stay there for the full session. In rare instances the other person leaves, the charging rate would bump up a bit. Is this the new expected behavior of the 150KW sharing tesla charging stations?

well I have similar experiences.....however, I went to the Santa Ana mall supercharger last week and it was busy but I was lucky and able to get a stall with no one next to me...I started off charging at 110kW and after 4 minutes it dropped to 58kW....nobody around me.....what appeared to be a 35 minute stop, ended up to be 1hr 5min.....possible issue was we were outside and the handle was warm.....not hot......but if thats the case I would prefer to sit at the Irvine supercharger...you can back in and be underneath the garage where it is cool

I discovered this recently during longer road trips which makes being at a Supercharger and seeing someone about to pull into the space w/the paired Supercharger to yours even more contentious. Doesn't seem to nurture the "Tesla Spirit" among fellow travelers. lol

I think we first started to see that around March this year and wondered if this was going to be the new way going forward. Here's the thread on it:
How pairing at Supercharging works
yes....I do too....seems like it coincided with the Tesla range update for the Model S LR +......my cars starts off high and within 3-5 minutes, charging is cut in half whether or not I have someone next to me or not

I noticed the same.. thanks for posting this. Big change from 8 years ago.
The irritating thing is that so many new owners (the model 3 crowd) don't understand pairing, and will come park next to a car actively charging when unpaired chargers are available... used to be no big deal when priority to the first charger was active. Now, someone else's ignorance affects your own charging rate.

The irritating thing is that so many new owners (the model 3 crowd) don't understand pairing, and will come park next to a car actively charging when unpaired chargers are available... used to be no big deal when priority to the first charger was active. Now, someone else's ignorance affects your own charging rate.
Perhaps this is why Tesla changed the logic.
The newer owners are not as « into Tesla tech» as the elder ones, and indeed have no clue on the pair logic.
Thus to avoid complains from that much larger group of owners, Tesla chose this approach. Just a thought.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC

Politely let them know.

Ok good to know they indeed changed the behavior. I guess now I just need to be more proactive about moving to non sharing stalls. Thanks for the confirmation. Kind of sucks for those on road trips and have slower charging cars. It just means they now stay a bit longer. Maybe this is tesla's way of getting people to buy new cars to get faster road trip capability.

i had a worse experience instead of a 50/50 share i was given squat while a car that just plugged in took all the juice.
I was chilling out at 65kw as the second car to plug in then they left and i went to 90kw. then a model Y plugged in and i went down to 20kw for the remaining like hour i had to be plugged in while that asshole stole all my charging power. and there is only 6 stalls in mojave and i had to get to at least barstow but wanted to just go straight home which is 20% battery from barstow

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC