TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger 47400 Kato Road, Fremont (Started Oct 2014 but not completed, V3 test site Mar 2019)

Discussion in 'California Supercharger locations' started by mai, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Tyl

Tyl Member

#81 Tyl, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    These supercharging pedestals will be new and located at a Flagship Tesla Building. Will they be the slimmer supercharging cables similar to Mountain View CA's supercharging cables. I know only time will tell and I have absolutely no idea which cables will be installed, but I thought I would open it up for discussion. My thoughts are that they should indeed be the slimmer cables. I also think that should.. 150kW superchargers be on their way, this is the perfect location to implement that new technology as well.

2. Tyl

Tyl Member

#82 Tyl, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    A little progress. It looks like two transformers may be placed here! Photos!
    Before:
    image.png
    After: image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.png

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I wonder which cars they expect to park in the spots marked "EV Compact".

4. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

The model 3, of course.

5. Tyl

Tyl Member

I was in the Bay Area today and swung by to see if any changes. NONE. Everything looks like the last pictures I posted.

6. Tyl

Tyl Member

#86 Tyl, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    Check Google Maps for a fairly recent overview of the building and supercharger area. NO activity at this supercharger site today, although there is a lot of landscaping work underway.
    image.jpg

7. ReddyLeaf

ReddyLeaf Active Member

My guess: They'll have this open for the Model 3 reveal ;)

8. Tyl

Tyl Member

Exterior landscaping seems to be complete. Nothing new around supercharging pedestals, supercharger no pad area or where I think the transformer(s) may be located. There has been some very minor sidewalk work done along Kato RD near the south entrance to the building. No action at all on the interior of the building to date that I can see. We may have a while. The lounge will probably have to be complete before they open the superchargers. Building interior walls etc. ..... It looks as it has:(

9. Tyl

Tyl Member

Stopped by today. No change whatsoever. ..... sad.

10. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Thanks for your updates.

11. FlatSix911

My bet is this location will be finished just in time for the Model 3 reveal next month.

12. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

#92 Ulmo, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    In terms of demand, Tesla got this right: they opened up very quickly after starting work some key SuperChargers in California areas with high long distance demand (e.g., Fresno, & Buttonwillow), whereas in Fremont, they have an alternate running SuperCharger a handful of blocks away (at the factory).

13. EVie'sDad

EVie'sDad Member

Here's a snapshot the Mrs. caught back in January...not much has changed

Fremont 2 Jan 18 2016.jpg

14. iffatall

iffatall Member

Seems more and more unlikely now. Besides, the event is in LA, so there is probably no connection between the two.

15. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

Is there any restaurants, restrooms, shopping nearby this supercharger? Looks like it is just next to some empty office buildings., poor choice of location probably.

16. RichardL

RichardL Member

This location is in front of offices I believe Tesla has leased, near the factory. So the most usual users will be company owned vehicles. I suppose they get the additional benefit for owners by putting it in front, instead of behind a fence out back

17. meteoritehunter

Well, I've owned my Tesla for 2 years and still have to drive 1000 miles out of my way to go east! It is very annoying that I can not leave my city unless I head west. It does get old to see a Supercharger go up every 5 miles in California.

18. David99

David99 Active Member

#98 David99, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    I hear you. It's frustrating to not have a complete network for Superchargers yet. That has to be the goal for sure. At the same time, the amount of Tesla cars on the road in California is absolutely ridiculous compared to any other state. Keeping the right balance between building Superchargers where the demand is high and completing the network can only be a compromise. It is painful on both ends.

Just to give you an idea: When I drive around Los Angeles, I see about 10-15 Teslas every hour of driving. When I'm in any other state driving around I'm lucky to see any at all. Just a few weeks ago I drove around Baltimore/Washington for three days and despite looking really hard I saw two Teslas in three days! I drove 70k miles in less than 2 years. Many long road trips across the country. Even on popular routes I have never seen a full Supercharger station. Mostly I was the only one. Here in California it is very common to have a full station. OK, maybe not 'very common', but it's happening more and more.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  19. FlatSix911

It's all about the Supply and Demand ... simple really!

• Like x 1
  20. meteoritehunter

Except the demand can not reach potential when there are no possible ways to charge.
    I know many people here who want to buy a tesla and will not because there is no way to head east.
    Build it and they will come.
    I am in California all the time, I know who many Teslas are there. I also know there except traveling though Tejon Ranch, congestion is only a problem because owners just want free juice.