Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Alameda, CA (LIVE 15 Dec 2018, 12 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may be the only one reading this but I haven't seen a Supercharger built before so I would be interested almost no matter where it was. I know, I have been on a road trip for a week, so I missed some days. Kinda glad I did, not too much has happened:

IMG_4978.JPG

They have finished trenching and have installed the bases for 10 of the Superchargers. The crosswalk I used to photograph the early trench from has been absorbed into the fenced area and they cut the cement to dig the trench.

Kq4XQclvSUK3LZBws2Tx+w_thumb_763a.jpg

A new hole in the ground has been opened up, likely the transformer will be on the ground where that rudimentary platform is.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7639.jpg

Looks like they are done with the original piping as they have started pouring concrete over it.

Once all the pipes are buried then they build the platforms that we see when we visit chargers, then they pull cables thru the pipes, then mount the fixtures, and then the power company comes and hooks it to the grid. Wonder why that will take until December. I guess it is almost November.

Would be cool if they are building a battery bay and a solar shade too. Though I was at opening day in Daly City recently and then opening day in Issaquah, WA on this trip and they don't have any solar. Probably that will only be in warm and sunny places.

-Randy

I may be the only one reading this but I haven't seen a Supercharger built before so I would be interested almost no matter where it was. I know, I have been on a road trip for a week, so I missed some days. Kinda glad I did, not too much has happened:

View attachment 347090
They have finished trenching and have installed the bases for 10 of the Superchargers. The crosswalk I used to photograph the early trench from has been absorbed into the fenced area and they cut the cement to dig the trench.

View attachment 347092
A new hole in the ground has been opened up, likely the transformer will be on the ground where that rudimentary platform is.

View attachment 347093
Looks like they are done with the original piping as they have started pouring concrete over it.

Once all the pipes are buried then they build the platforms that we see when we visit chargers, then they pull cables thru the pipes, then mount the fixtures, and then the power company comes and hooks it to the grid. Wonder why that will take until December. I guess it is almost November.

Would be cool if they are building a battery bay and a solar shade too. Though I was at opening day in Daly City recently and then opening day in Issaquah, WA on this trip and they don't have any solar. Probably that will only be in warm and sunny places.

-Randy
Love the updates and bevy of pictures. Thank you!

Reactions: israndy
There is one pedestal in place, and it is a standard supercharger, not "urban". The supercharger cabinets are labeled 135 kW as well. I have no idea why they aren't doing urban here, since there is no long-distance travel through Alameda and it takes a while to get to and from I-880.View attachment 347893 View attachment 347894
Maybe it's just dressed up as a standard supercharger for Halloween?

Moderator, almaden is not the same as alameda....
Yep, my error. While there is a pin at Almaden in the Tesla ”Find Us” map it shows that location as opening sometime in 2019. If you have proof that the Almaden Supercharger is operational or even under construction, please start a new thread about it. If you wish to speculate about where it may be located please post in this thread Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

135kW? That's not a Version 3 Supercharger, is it? I thought we were looking at charge speeds twice as fast, not 5% faster. It really doesn't make sense to put non-Urban Superchargers in next the beach and far from the freeway. Of course, if they are V3 SC's that will be thrilling.

-Randy

135kW? That's not a Version 3 Supercharger, is it? I thought we were looking at charge speeds twice as fast, not 5% faster. It really doesn't make sense to put non-Urban Superchargers in next the beach and far from the freeway. Of course, if they are V3 SC's that will be thrilling.

-Randy

As I understand it, the 135kW superchargers are the same as the 120kW. I think the different numbers are just talking about different things. The 135 is the rating for the SC hardware, i.e. what it is capable of splitting between 2 cars. But ~120 is the max a car ever actually accepts/sees if it's plugged in solo. I've also seen them called 145kW, which would be a closer fit for explaining how the urban style installations can support 2 x 72kW.

v3 will likely be different enough to notice at a glance and is supposed to support up to 250kW or 350kW. We'll see exactly what the specs are when it's released.

• Informative
Reactions: israndy
Not much new. They have lowered in some boxes into the holes and ran pipes in and out. They have started to re-bury the conduit between the stations and have that one station mounted. Looks like the charger stations come two in a pallet as there are 6 pallets so 12 Superchargers.

IMG_5009.JPG

This is the reverse angle I usually photograph from now looking into the parking lot, hopefully, makes it easier to see what is going on.
IMG_5010.JPG
IMG_5012.JPG

-Randy

Oops! No those pallets of equipment were not the stations, they were the chargers themselves. Today they got mounted:

IMG_5025.JPG

And 3 more stations showed up and were attached to the ground:

IMG_5024.JPG

Fun, fun. Everything is going so fast. Having read other threads on station construction I guess they will have it all together and it will sit for a month waiting for inspection surrounded in caution tape.

-Randy

Randy, thanks so much for all of the progress reports.
I live in San Luis Obispo county and mostly charge at home. But I have a boat in Alameda and kids and grand-kids in the East Bay, so I come up there often. The boat is sort of like a second home. Charging on the trips up and back is easy, but if I spend much time in the Bay Area, recharging isn't. It will be now!
And it's exciting to see how fast this is going in!
-John

Reactions: Pluto and Oyinko
Ugh, they have to work on a day like today with all the smoke from the fires in the air. We are leaving town and avoiding this sitch.

IMG_5195.JPG

They have poured the concrete for the Transformer and looks like today is driving the vehicle barriers into the ground and installing the last of the Tesla made equipment. Never seen that cabinet with the cover off before.

-Randy

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and Troy916