Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If a shortcut between Somerset and Albany is what is wanted, then Tannersville is just as good as Allentown. Except maybe there is some extra climbing to get up to Tannersville. But the rural jurisdiction should make everything quicker and easier. Let this failure set the focus on rural SpCs to complete the network. Later for the in-city destination/convenience chargers.
--

Do people not understand how big a state Pennsylvania is?

When suggesting a location for Erie, I received a response from the Supercharger team indicating that they were "actively scouting" a location near Tannersville.

Tannersville (and Allentown) are more than 350 miles from Erie. I don't know what they're smoking in Fremont, but they should take out a map once in a while if that's the answer you got asking about Erie.

**Edit: I see in another thread you said "unrelated question".. so, "nevermind". :)

That would seem to dovetail nicely with the pullback from Allentown as I don't believe both locations were necessary (too close together).

Allentown and Tannersville are very close (40 miles) but they each serve very different routing. Tannersville servers I-80 on the northern route, and Allentown serves 78 and 476 to the south. I don't think one SC in one location would serve the other one very well at all.. would require an ~80 mile detour to charge.

If a shortcut between Somerset and Albany is what is wanted, then Tannersville is just as good as Allentown.
--

Again, what? Tannersville is 260 miles from Somerset . That's not a "shortcut".

Last edited:
Do people not understand how big a state Pennsylvania is?

Tannersville (and Allentown) are more than 350 miles from Erie. I don't know what they're smoking in Fremont, but they should take out a map once in a while if that's the answer you got asking about Erie.

I don't want to presume they're okay with me copying a private message verbatim onto an internet forum. I had also asked about the I-86 and I-80 corridors, which is why Tannersville information was provided.

There was also mention of the Clearfield area (I-80) which has been a dot on the official map for some time (so that shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone). I think they'd still need another location between Clearfield and Tannersville (the distance seems too great given the elevation changes involved), but the routing is clear.
I-80 in PA is getting juiced.

The questions remain re: specific locations and when.

> Tannersville is 260 miles from Somerset . That's not a "shortcut". {HankLloydRight]

Got me there (!) but it now makes Albany>Tannersville only 172 'no sweat' miles. This new route takes you thru State College which, without even checking, I'm sure offers up some Level2 charging. The 'shortcut' is that you no longer have to enter the Garden State onroute to Albany, which to me is sublime progress plus a saving in miles. And, hold your applause, I was born in 'choisy, so I guess I can say that. Any new route esp w/o tolls is welcome indeed.
--

I don't want to presume they're okay with me copying a private message verbatim onto an internet forum. I had also asked about the I-86 and I-80 corridors, which is why Tannersville information was provided.

There was also mention of the Clearfield area (I-80) which has been a dot on the official map for some time (so that shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone). I think they'd still need another location between Clearfield and Tannersville (the distance seems too great given the elevation changes involved), but the routing is clear.
I-80 in PA is getting juiced.

The questions remain re: specific locations and when.

Dubois, 40 miles west of Clearfield is an easy trip to Tannersville. The Dubois/Clearfield (Dubois is better because of 219 north to Buffalo) is needed to complete the I80 corridor to nyc. The current route is 2-3 hours out of the way to go south to sommerset/haggerstown then Allentown or Newark DE, both of those routes take you through the heaviest DC-Philly-NYC area traffic.

I have made 3 trips to NYC using Edison from State College now. I stopped at Evsteves house the first time. The other two times I drove it straight through. My last trip was with 17 deg temps and 800lbs of payload. I made it with 37 miles left. I was doing 62 in the 70mph zones until I knew I could make it, but it is doable.

Hey guys (and girls) first post here... very active on other car and watercraft forums.

so... what happens to this super charger on the map?!

I keep hoping to see it open on the map or photos, but now it's vanished?

anyone know what happened?

Interactive Tesla Supercharger Map - TESLARATI.com

Read a tad bit back in this very thread. The current discussion surrounds the likely situation that the SC has been scrapped and a new site is being scouted.

It is a bit distressing that there are no new Supercharger dots in Pennsylvania on the Tesla Supercharger map until the 2015 selection.

Blame the utilities for making things so difficult. From what I've been told the municipalities have no issue approving the installations then PP&L screws everything up. PP&L was the reason the Whitehall supercharger was cancelled.