Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Altoona, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For one, 4 cabinets means eight stalls

2 stalls near drive thru

View attachment 348587

2 stalls before blue line

View attachment 348589

4 stalls after blue line

View attachment 348588
The new supercharger is definitely at the Super Sheetz at 17th St and Pleasant Valley Blvd. Looks like it may be done in the next week or 2 as the chargers are already in and it looks like they are just doing the electrical work - but the weather for next week is not going to be so good so this could slow things down. Not the most convenient location as this is the flagship store for the entire Sheetz network and is plenty busy. Looks like 7 stalls including 1 pull in just in case you have a trailer. It is in a corner of the lot that it least used and right next to the free air station so I would expect some of these charging stations will get ICED often. On weekends this is a popular hangout for teens. We know of 2 Model 3 owners and 2 Model S Owners in our area and the only other public chargers in our region are at a couple hotels for hotel guests and a pay charger at another Sheetz up the road. Again, not the best location if you are coming from I-99 you will have to make a left to get to the lot and there tends to be a lot of traffic here and the left turn signal is fairly short in duration so you will likely end up waiting a couple cycles to get into the lot. This is a great store however and has plenty of seating, free wifi and decent bathrooms. You don't get a lot of truck traffic but when one does foolishly pull in - they block up a lot of space. This location also has a drive thru and a car wash as well as tvs to watch in the eating areas. Plenty of outside picnic benches as well for nicer weather. We have been waiting for a year for this supercharger and knew it would be at a Sheetz since they went into an agreement with Tesla for multiple other PA sites. It only makes sense since Sheetz headquarters is here. I will report when I know it is definitely open.
Paragraphs would be nice. I assume you’re a local despite your very discrete username:p
I assume you are an English teacher since you like to correct people. There are 7 stalls genius - I even took both shoes off to count just for you since I am a stupid local.

I assume you are an English teacher since you like to correct people. There are 7 stalls genius - I even took both shoes off to count just for you since I am a stupid local.
My count was incorrect. However, the last pedestal hasn’t been installed yet. My bad
032E6DC0-6C72-4B8E-AAC5-0FC97C9090A3.jpeg

Reactions: mociaf9
First of all , pscarroll , excellent set of pictures, thank you. That platform with the empty slot is where the transformer sits. It appears there are not yet cables in place so that might be what the trench is for as someone mentioned.
What puzzles me is I don’t see the grey connection cabinets or maybe I’m just missing them? They provide a connection for the power from the transformer to the white Supercharger cabinets.

Oops, I think the distribution cabinets ( correct nomenclature) will be placed where the small white boxes are sitting now. Those small boxes are autotransformers used to get the voltages at the correct level for the Superchargers.

I was really hoping this supercharger location open by Thanksgiving to simplify my travels. However, it seems that average time is somewhere in the 45-60 days from what I can tell so far, so that would have it open right around or shortly before Christmas time.

Anyone in here have better insight into how quickly Sheetz has moved on some of the more recent supercharger installs?

Anyone in here have better insight into how quickly Sheetz has moved on some of the more recent supercharger installs?

Can't say that, but I'm not sure if it's a matter of Sheetz. At the Bellefonte (Weis) supercharger it took quite some time for West Penn or whoever to inspect the installation and activate the power after everything was done. As for the physical install: who manages that work, and who owns the installation? Presumably Tesla, not Sheetz -no?

The photos looked like you went into the site (meaning really good)
Thanks! Just a cellphone (Caterpillar S61)and lifted it up high and over the chain link fence. The job site is in the parking lot so easy to access the fringes without getting in the way, though I didn't take images all around the site fence perimeter as they were actively working and didn't want them complaining and getting us all banned or something from taking pictures in the future. The trench on the side is now filled in so not sure what they were doing, perhaps hooking into the underground powerline or something, can't confirm as the trench was empty last time I looked and covered up now. Still don't see a transformer, but once the underground cabling is finished I guess that's when they put the transformer in. I though about asking them when it would be done, but didn't want to bother them.

The Sheetz is really nice, but some of the people are kinda shady. Was at the urinal in the bathroom and some guy was asking everyone where the nearest pain clinic was (i.e. where can I get some opiate/drug pills). Was kinda awkward being quizzed while I whizzed. So maybe this place is a drug haven? Again the Sheetz inside is really nice.

Its a good place, safe. I know many of the locals that work there (what you encountered was unusual) as well as the local police. Its actually the Sheetz Flagship location. The Sheetz family are know to us - very nice people. I stand corrected - yes - 8 chargers including 2 pull ins - but clearly not the best set up - if you pull in on the one site with a trailer - you will be blocking the other 2 on the side ! Its a welcome to our region. We have had a number of our local professionals now approach us to ask specifically about Teslas and they are now finally starting to look into purchasing. We are excited because we get free "fuel" with lifetime free supercharging !

pscarroll - what are you driving ? I will be on the lookout for you when I stop in to charge ! We go back and forth to NC frequently and take the I-81 corridor all the way to Asheville. I feel very comfortable making the trip and know the location of every supercharger along the route. Visiting my family in Buffalo however is an entirely different story unfortunately..... after Dubois, there is no other charger until you get all the way to Buffalo, and even that charger is actually 10 miles north of Buffalo when all of my family lives on the south side. Hoping for the Salamanca and the other Buffalo superchargers to be open sometime soon as I wanted to visit for XMas. Same issue going to NYC - given the population density - there are just too few superchargers for me to feel comfortable to go to Queens - and a whole lot of traffic !