Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Amarillo, Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
<snip>
There really needs to be a SC on 287 to Dallas Fort Worth too. The ideal location would be Electra, TX because it is within winter uphill driving against the wind to Amarillo, plus is within distance of the entire DFW metroplex.

Plus with a name like Electra, how could Tesla resist?
Not a local so just going by the map, but ISTM 287 needs two SCs, not one. Wichita Falls and Childress, with WF first. Both have good connections. From WF, until Childress is complete it's possible to get to Shamrock much of the time (164 miles), even in a 60 albeit slowly, and then on to Amarillo. Spacing is excellent - 115 miles from Ft. Worth (although 141-143 from Dallas, which is a bit far; Dallas people can rout through Denton if they're worried) to WF, and 107 from WF to Childress. Given the flow of traffic speed, I doubt you want them spaced much further apart.

Contrarian view here.

I drove from Shamrock to Amarillo ( uphill) today, had about 12 mph headwind. Speed limit is 75 but everybody drives 80. Temp was 91 and I used range mode.

My energy consumption was 414 wh/mile !!

CONCLUSION: If we want to drive under 'normal' driving conditions the Amarillo supercharger will be necessary. Tamman34 is indeed dead wrong.

This SC in my opinion is not required that much, but I can be dead wrong. I guess it can help if your coming up from Midland, but here is still large gaps from South Texas to get here. From Shamrock to Tucumari, NM is no problem. I drove 70 mph the entire way, you should slow to 65 mph in Amarillo (i did not cause it was 1am). The last 20 miles you pump it up to 75 mph. I did 321 wh/mile.

The Holiday Inn Express at 8330 West Amarillo Blvd has some Tesla HPWC you can use. Do you have two on-board chargers? They have an 80 amp unit that is closest to the green transformer....The rest are 40 amps...

Redi has posted about charging at 51 Amps on a HPWC, so that would be a Yes on the duals!

Thanks for posting the info about which HPWC there has the better (non-overnight) feed. It's good to know; I try to include this in PlugShare check-in notes so others can plan.

I received an email suggesting that I remove this site from supercharge.info because it appears that, unfortunately, there is currently no known location/permit in Amarillo. Don't have time to read the entire thread today, let me know if anyone knows otherwise. Thanks.

It still shows up as "Coming Soon" on Tesla's site, but I have no idea if that means Tesla has secured a site and started the permitting process. If the definition of a blue dot on Supercharge.info is demonstration of a permit, then it probably should be removed (which I see you have already done).

Hey All,

So an update from my perspective. I'm brand new to this forum but have been following for a couple of months. I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on a Model S, and I live in Amarillo. Anyway, I had contacted Tesla because I saw that the "coming soon" flag on supercharge.info had disappeared from Amarillo and I wanted to offer my business to host the Supercharger. I got an email a few days ago saying from a fella in the Destination Charging department who had checked in with the Supercharger team about Amarillo and they told him they weren't interested because they were already "far along" with another site in Amarillo. He is offering the Tesla Connectors for my business to be a destination charging point, which I will consider, just not sure if my business is the type that folks would destination charge at.

I will check with the city this week to see if they have an update on permitting, unless Reddy has done that recently. And as Reddy has mentioned in this thread, Amarillo would be a great SC site because we are basically halfway between Dallas and Denver, Albuquerque and New Mexico.

p.s. - Reddy would love to meet you sometime, I've only seen one Tesla in Amarillo!

Dengar,

Seriously you should message me.

I check w the city usually on a daily basis through their web portal. The portal messes up typically at the beginning of each month and that gives me a reason to call them and check to see if I've missed anything. I've also checked w friends at Xcel Energy since they would be doing the connection even if the site is outside city limits.

So far no luck,on any of these.

The rumor on the contractors is that a crew will be doing Denton , then Amarillo. Denton starts Sept 20.

So we should have word soon.

I've had my red Tesla S for almost 2 1/2 years, and it was the only one in Amarillo for about a year. Now we have 6 that I know of, and likely more that I haven't seen. Prior to Shamrock , Tucumcari, and Holiday Inn Express having chargers , my house was the usual stopping place for cross country Teslas on I-40.

You'll love the S, you should go ahead and pull the trigger.

PERMIT ISSUED BY CITY OF AMARILLO!!

Address 8271 W Amarillo Blvd

This is not the same Holiday Inn Express with the HPWC, but the facility next to the movie theater. It is a bit of a walk to restaurants, but doable. There are several lined up on the I-40 access road eastbound approaching Soncy Drive.

Photos to follow ......

ZB1503762
GLOBAL TECHNICAL SOLUTIONS-BLD
8271 W AMARILLO BLVD
001‎D ‎2 ‎CANODE‎-‎COM PARK ADD UNIT ‎41‎
HOLIDAY INN
*‎2015‎* ‎HOLIDAY INN ‎(‎TESLA MOTORS ELECTRIC CAR CHARGING STATION‎): ‎Installation of eight ‎(‎8‎) ‎electric car charging stations ‎(‎parking ‎
spaces‎)‎; four ‎(‎4‎) ‎SuperCharger equipment cabinets, switchgear and tranformer‎. ‎The equipment and switchgear will be supported by a concrete pad ‎
in a wood fence enclosure‎. ‎One of the charging stations ‎(‎parking space‎) ‎is required to be handicapped accessible with signage‎.‎

Last edited:
Until I can get updated photos, here is the Google Maps street view.

Tesla Holiday Inn.JPG

The actual location isn't apparent yet. To access from I-40 is bit messy. Texas DOT is moving the exit for this road , and it will be under construction for a while.

CURRENTLY, the access westbound would be exit at COULTER STREET. Continue on the I-40 access road to Cinema Drive, and drive toward the movie theater. Holiday Inn is to the right.

Access from I-40 eastbound would be either exit at COULTER STREET, and loop back at Coulter by choosing the far left lane after you get off I-40, which allows a loopback without going through any signals. Then go to Cinema drive. You could also exit north SONCY DR, go to Amarillo Blvd (I-40 Business) and turn right (east) there. Proceed to the movie theater, pass it, then immediately turn right into their parking lot where the Holiday Inn is.

While I'm glad we are getting one in Amarillo, I suppose my only reservation is that I wished they had put it east of the interchange, so traffic from downstate headed to the mountains could easily access it. As it is now they'll have to drive several miles beyond the interchange and go back, or choose the alternate route that goes out through Boys Ranch Road to Dalhart. Then again maybe Tesla drivers are used to driving a little out of their way for SC's and it's a non-issue. Either way, it's great that Amarillo is getting one!

While I'm glad we are getting one in Amarillo, I suppose my only reservation is that I wished they had put it east of the interchange, so traffic from downstate headed to the mountains could easily access it. As it is now they'll have to drive several miles beyond the interchange and go back, or choose the alternate route that goes out through Boys Ranch Road to Dalhart. Then again maybe Tesla drivers are used to driving a little out of their way for SC's and it's a non-issue. Either way, it's great that Amarillo is getting one!

Dengar, I've driven both routes from Amarillo to Dalhart. The route via Boys Ranch and Channing is about 5 RM less energy than going through Dumas. The trip to Dalhart also will start about 5 miles closer, compared to being located at the I27/I40 interchange. The total savings are about 10 RM by leaving from Soncy and routing via Boys Ranch. That becomes important because my Trinidad trip would have had 9 miles RM on arrival had I not stopped in Dalhart for a top up. And that was driving at about 62 mph much of the way. My starting point for this trip was about 2RM away from the Amarillo SC site.

Amarillo to Trinidad, CO supercharger stats - round trip

The people most inconvenienced will be those headed due north, to Dumas, and Guymon, from Lubbock.

Last edited: