Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Amarillo, TX - East Interstate 40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, I would expect fast CCS or Tesla chargers at every newly constructed Buc ees built from now on.

With so many makes now beginning large scale EV production the demand is there now, and building fast. Add in that Teslas now can use CCS, with an inexpensive adapter. Every time I drive by our local EA site in Amarillo there are 1 - 3 cars there. And they only have 4 spots, with one usually broken.

We’ve arrived at the inflection point.
agree.... they really need to ramp up CCS network though. I'd love to get eventually a Cadillac Lyriq ... but the notion of just 4 chargers in Amarillo and nothing between Dallas and Amarillo (shortest route) scares me. For now Tesla is still the way to go for our roadtrips.

Reactions: PStewart and cmy4x4
agree.... they really need to ramp up CCS network though. I'd love to get eventually a Cadillac Lyriq ... but the notion of just 4 chargers in Amarillo and nothing between Dallas and Amarillo (shortest route) scares me. For now Tesla is still the way to go for our roadtrips.
Agreed. I live in Deep South Texas (McAllen) and except for a couple of 25kW CCS chargers in Corpus Christi, there is no way to drive a non-Tesla vehicle out of the Valley without having to find L2 chargers. On the rare occasion when someone asks me about buying an EV, and if they tell me they intend to take their new EV on trips, I tell them to “buy the infrastructure.” I talked to a local Mustang Mach E owner once and he said he had an ICE vehicle for long trips.

(BTW - he loves his Mach E.)

Agreed. I live in Deep South Texas (McAllen) and except for a couple of 25kW CCS chargers in Corpus Christi, there is no way to drive a non-Tesla vehicle out of the Valley without having to find L2 chargers. On the rare occasion when someone asks me about buying an EV, and if they tell me they intend to take their new EV on trips, I tell them to “buy the infrastructure.” I talked to a local Mustang Mach E owner once and he said he had an ICE vehicle for long trips.

(BTW - he loves his Mach E.)
yup. the Cadillac Lyriq looks so goooooood and price wise is = Model Y ... but I can't justify at present spending over $60k on an EV and then still needing an ICE car for road trips.

yup. the Cadillac Lyriq looks so goooooood and price wise is = Model Y ... but I can't justify at present spending over $60k on an EV and then still needing an ICE car for road trips.
We have 3 EVs. The two Teslas go on road trips. The leaf, not so much. I have rented a car for special case road trips twice in the past 4 years of EV ownership. Overall, pretty happy with the situation.

Reactions: CarlS
Just saw on the news today (1/18/23) that construction will begin in March on the new Buc-ee's in Amarillo at I-40 and Airport Blvd. A post in another forum mentioned 24 Supercharger stalls. 😃
lol. how many SC stalls does Amarillo even support? 8x older V2 at the Holiday Inn and 12x new V3 at the toot n tatum ... if Buc-ees adds 24 more V3... that's a little overkill for Amarillo... meanwhile Roswell and Southern NM / West of Lubbock is a full on charging desert

lol. how many SC stalls does Amarillo even support? 8x older V2 at the Holiday Inn and 12x new V3 at the toot n tatum ... if Buc-ees adds 24 more V3... that's a little overkill for Amarillo... meanwhile Roswell and Southern NM / West of Lubbock is a full on charging desert
It's not about just supporting Amarillo. Interstate 40 (Route 66) is a major East-West corridor with thousands of vehicles passing through Amarillo every day. Add to that, Interstate 27 running North-South being scheduled for MAJOR expansion and I'm glad to see some forethought and planning taking place.

I really doubt there is a shortage of Supercharger hardware, so it's not necessarily a case of one site competing with another for potential Superchargers...

Rather, it's really more about getting interested parties to host sites, and certain areas, particularly rural areas without a lot of exposure to EVs, are harder to crack. Once you do crack it and people in that area start getting that "Aha" moment, it starts the snowball rolling.

Moderator note: 17 posts discussing a new Supercharger under construction at a nearby Buc-ee's have been moved to this new thread:

Bruce.

On the way back to Denver on April 9 from the April 8 solar eclipse in Dallas, had to wait about 8 minutes for a stall to open up at this station. Had a wait of about 20 minutes at the previous stop in Quanah, and the Sonic there was closed because of a sewer backup! Anyway, it was 8:17p and pouring rain in Amarillo, with about a foot of water in the streets all around the area. I think splashing through is how I got some water in the frunk that I didn't discover until a couple days later. Might have come through the frunk latch opening because the top seal is good. Had rain all the way from Denton and didn't get past the rain until close to Clayton NM. I generally like night driving but it's tough with rain.

On the way back to Denver on April 9 from the April 8 solar eclipse in Dallas, had to wait about 8 minutes for a stall to open up at this station. Had a wait of about 20 minutes at the previous stop in Quanah, and the Sonic there was closed because of a sewer backup! Anyway, it was 8:17p and pouring rain in Amarillo, with about a foot of water in the streets all around the area. I think splashing through is how I got some water in the frunk that I didn't discover until a couple days later. Might have come through the frunk latch opening because the top seal is good. Had rain all the way from Denton and didn't get past the rain until close to Clayton NM. I generally like night driving but it's tough with rain.
How much water in the frunk? What model year? I’ve been driving my 2019 in pouring rain and hosed the car down when cleaning it and never had any noticeable amount of water in the frunk

How much water in the frunk? What model year? I’ve been driving my 2019 in pouring rain and hosed the car down when cleaning it and never had any noticeable amount of water in the frunk
2022 M3 LR. I've hosed down the car and driven in pouring rain as well, and I've never before noticed any water in the frunk. I'm thinking it was the 8-12" of water I had to motorboat through to get in and out of the Toot 'n Totem parking lot right on US-287. Some must have splashed up through the frunk latch, but I haven't take the frunk apart to check to see if it's sealed in that area. I didn't discover the water until a couple days later, and it was only in the most forward part of the frunk, below the depth of the ribs, so I was able to put in some groceries without them getting wet. There was some water in the tow eye slot as well, so when I got home I dried everything off and it only took a couple of shop towels. I should have take a photo, but I was a dum-dum and didn't.

I left the frunk lid open (in the garage), and the next day I noticed some water in the driver's side screw hole that hadn't yet evaporated. This time I took photos:

Photo 1: frunk all dry (except you can actually see a reflection on the water in the driver's side recessed screw hole)
Photo 2: passenger side screw hole - dry
Photo 3: driver's side screw hole - still wet after 4 days
Photo 4: frunk latch area - suspected water entry point when motorboating through high water

Attachments

• 2024,0414@204617_WaterStillInFrunkAfter4Days_FrunkFloorNowDry.jpg
    2024,0414@204617_WaterStillInFrunkAfter4Days_FrunkFloorNowDry.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 2024,0414@204620_WaterStillInFrunkAfter4Days_LeftScrewHoleDry.jpg
    2024,0414@204620_WaterStillInFrunkAfter4Days_LeftScrewHoleDry.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 2024,0414@204621_WaterStillInFrunkAfter4Days_RightScrewHoleWet.jpg
    2024,0414@204621_WaterStillInFrunkAfter4Days_RightScrewHoleWet.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 2024,0414@204627_WaterStillInFrunkAfter4Days_LatchPossibleWaterEntryPoint.jpg
    2024,0414@204627_WaterStillInFrunkAfter4Days_LatchPossibleWaterEntryPoint.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 2
2022 M3 LR. I've hosed down the car and driven in pouring rain as well, and I've never before noticed any water in the frunk. I'm thinking it was the 8-12" of water I had to motorboat through to get in and out of the Toot 'n Totem parking lot right on US-287. Some must have splashed up through the frunk latch, but I haven't take the frunk apart to check to see if it's sealed in that area. I didn't discover the water until a couple days later, and it was only in the most forward part of the frunk, below the depth of the ribs, so I was able to put in some groceries without them getting wet. There was some water in the tow eye slot as well, so when I got home I dried everything off and it only took a couple of shop towels. I should have take a photo, but I was a dum-dum and didn't.

I left the frunk lid open (in the garage), and the next day I noticed some water in the driver's side screw hole that hadn't yet evaporated. This time I took photos:

Photo 1: frunk all dry (except you can actually see a reflection on the water in the driver's side recessed screw hole)
Photo 2: passenger side screw hole - dry
Photo 3: driver's side screw hole - still wet after 4 days
Photo 4: frunk latch area - suspected water entry point when motorboating through high water
Oh wow… my 2019 Model 3 frunk looks much different. I guess they changed things up with design changes and the heat pump etc.

Reactions: electrons4u
Have to say: I drive by this location several times a week and usually never see more than three cars there at a time. I too drove back from Dallas on 4/9 and yes, there was more traffic at ALL the SC's. Maybe the new Buc-ees just East of this location with a supposed 24 SC stations, will "alleviate" some of the congestion(?). :D

Reactions: electrons4u