Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Amarillo, Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Amateurs. :D

If all they had to do was drive from either Denton to Amarillo or vice versa, yeah more miles could be managed.
But I bet there is at least a couple of hours involved of activating the charging equipment and check out each of the charging stalls to ensure everything is in working order.
And there is probably at least a minor bit of house-keeping before leaving to the other site.
It is a good two-day project to bring both of these stations on-line.

(I would not want to be working with all that electrical equipment for a second time in one day after such a long drive.)

The contractors worked into the night on Friday, and most of the day yesterday.

Today, everything is done, with the exception of connecting the transformer to Xcel Energy's grid, and installing a meter.

IMG_1711.JPG
IMG_1712.JPG
IMG_1713.JPG

I bet Denton is going to wait for Amarillo to be done. It makes sense to send a Supercharger tech out to commission both at the same time. That's what happened for Ardmore and Weatherford. They'll fly into Dallas, swing by the Farmers Branch Service Center, pick up a loaner car, drive up to Denton for commissioning/testing, then drive over to Amarillo to do the same thing.

The contractors worked into the night on Friday, and most of the day yesterday.

Today, everything is done, with the exception of connecting the transformer to Xcel Energy's grid, and installing a meter.

View attachment 99766

I wonder if there will be any (concrete or fiberglass) wheel stops installed at each of the stalls.
That would make backing-in a bit easier, particularly with the low concrete wall just behind the edge of the curb.

I wonder if there will be any (concrete or fiberglass) wheel stops installed at each of the stalls.
That would make backing-in a bit easier, particularly with the low concrete wall just behind the edge of the curb.

Just use the backup camera. When the curb is about to disappear from view, it is still a couple of inches behind the bumper. That is a great place to stop.

More progress from Xcel Energy today.

The new wood electric utility utility pole (seen in my last photo), is now attached to the grid wiring , and has wires running to the transformer.

One of the contractors was still on the site today , running a leaf blower around to clean off the pavement and remove the red cones. He told me there is only one item remaining, simply the installation of the electric meter. And activation by Tesla to follow.

I asked the usual questions:

When will Xcel Energy install the meter ? "Soon, but it's up to them."

When will Tesla activate ? "I haven't heard yet"

Where are you headed for the next supercharger ? "I'm heading home, we don't have another one assigned"

IMG_1716.JPG

Meter installed today!

I happened to run into the remaining construction crew again today. They were watering the new sod planted around the equipment area. I've been by so many times , they know what I'm up to.

I was a bit surprised they were still around, rather than leaving town and coming back to rendezvous with the people from Tesla who activate the supercharger. If activation is a long way off, it would make no sense to pay the contractors to hang around Amarillo hotels and get travel pay for days and days.

My read on this : They are probably staying because activation will be soon.

I gave them my card and my cell phone, just in case activation happens, so I can be #2 in line after the Tesla people.

No activity seen here today - no contractors around, the pedestals are still in the plastic wrap. Perhaps the supercharger techs are looking at Shamrock today, since it was going offline last week?

I'll check back tomorrow.

What other sites did you see up for bids when you were bidding on this one?

Actually I did ask! He told me that their contracts with Tesla prohibit them from discussing that. He said that Tesla monitors this web site, and if a contractor gives out information they can get in hot water with Tesla about it.

The TMC people here may smile about this too: The contractors ALSO check out TMC as an information source. He told me he enjoyed seeing the photos I was posting on the Amarillo construction, and has been reading our posts!

The Tesla fellows and site contractor were at the site in Amarillo commissioning the Supercharger! This was about 12:30PM. It looks like a lengthy process. My guess is they were about half way through and may be done by mid afternoon. They don't say much! But I don't blame them. Unfortunately I walked past the cones and was asked to get back on the other side. I don't blame them as the site is still considered a construction site and those rules must be followed. I want to try it on my car (Nik) this afternoon just to be sure the SC capability works properly since I haven't made any long road trips yet.
IMG_2343.JPG

They're finished! The gray dot for Amarillo on the map should turn red pretty soon. I plugged Nik in for a quick few minutes and everything works well. I noticed one should make sure the connector is set in all the way, it seems a bit more particular than my Wall Connector at home. Welcome to Amarillo!

Attachments

• IMG_2346.JPG
    IMG_2346.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 114
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Supercharger is up and running !

The peak amps are less than I'm accustomed to at other units.

So far I've tried 1B and 2A, both seem a little weak, will try others later.

Finally we have the gap from Tucumcari to Shamrock covered !