Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Amarillo, Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like some of the delay has been a series of torrential thunderstorms where lightning knocked out substations in our area, and flooding has also caused transformer problems.

Yeah, who would have thought this would be an issue in dry West Texas?

Thus the utility crews are busy doing repairs, and not available to do routine installation work.

This seems to be a theme, we waited for a transformer and connection in Buffalo, NY for a month, the Plantation ,FL has been waiting most of October. One would think utilitities could plan on getting transformers in place given the lead time on these projects.

No work over the weekend on the missing transformer. You can see the empty pad to the left of the equipment area.

They look truly complete otherwise. One of the 8 stalls has extra room for handicapped access, but it doesn't actually have any handicapped markings. At least not yet.

The signage has 1/2 of the signs as 'Tesla - 30 minute general parking ' and 1/2 as 'Tesla Vehicle Charging Only'.

So is Tesla saying that it is OK to cause their supercharger investment money blocked by ICE , at least for 30 minute intervals?

Since this project was spec'd , a new 3 story hotel was started immediately behind the SC. I am a little concerned that hotel's customers will figure out that the Tesla spaces are closer than the spaces for their hotel. Particularly since this is an 'extended stay' type hotel.

And, no, I didn't unwrap the plastic on the pedestals to see if they use the new or old style connectors.

IMG_1705.JPG
IMG_1707.JPG
IMG_1708.JPG

The signage has 1/2 of the signs as 'Tesla - 30 minute general parking ' and 1/2 as 'Tesla Vehicle Charging Only'.

So is Tesla saying that it is OK to cause their supercharger investment money blocked by ICE , at least for 30 minute intervals?
Yes, that signage is common as it's a common provision in Tesla supercharger leases. Either required by zoning for parking space ratios or the landlord doesn't want to give up that many spaces to exclusive use. If it's the latter the lease might say Tesla can increase the number of exclusive spaces if demand warrants.

When arriving at a supercharger signed signed this way, it's best to use one of the general parking spaces so you leave the exclusive spaces for later arrivals. Less chance of a car being ICEd that way.

I stopped at the Amarillo Supercharger yesterday to see if any progress has been made since reddy's update. I arrived a bit after 5pm, and there was no activity. No transformer on-site yet. A local Model S owner arrived while I was surveying the scene, and she said they were doing some electrical work on the poles near the Supercharger earlier in the day. Also, there were two Xcel Energy trucks near the Supercharger, but not sure if they were staying at the hotel or actively doing work in the area.

Here are some photos, since everyone likes photos..

IMG_5808.JPG

IMG_5810.JPG

IMG_5817.JPG

IMG_5814.JPG

I'm in Ardmore now, and I'll be stopping by the Denton Supercharger next. :)

Still no transformer this evening.

The Xcel Energy company has a training center in Amarillo. They have their out of town people drive their company vehicles to Amarillo, and the Holiday Inn is where they all stay. Seriously, it is just a coincidence that we are waiting for Xcel to install the transformer too. I check this site almost daily, and there are always Xcel trucks in the lot. On the drivers side fender, there is usually a decal indicating which city they are from such as "Hobbs NM"....

Don't want to get hopes up too much, but there has been work on the power pole next to the transformer pad, and three wires have sprouted out from the conduit in the transformer pad today.

Rain is predicted for tomorrow, but will check site again at end of the day to see if any large green metal objects have landed.

IMG_1709a.jpg

Good question is why are so close, too close actually? How am I suppose to park the car. They should of have been the other way. Because I predict an accident happening soon. I would not charge here even though it's free.

When you say "the other way", which way do you mean? With the stalls completely behind the parking spots? Or with them out in front (pull in)? I suspect Tesla may be doing this to discourage spots from being ICEd. It's not that difficult to back into spots using the rear camera.

When you say "the other way", which way do you mean? With the stalls completely behind the parking spots? Or with them out in front (pull in)? I suspect Tesla may be doing this to discourage spots from being ICEd. It's not that difficult to back into spots using the rear camera.

I bet you're right. I'd love to see ICEing stats on back in vs head in Superchargers.

Stopped by the Amarillo site at 7:30pm, and the contractor crew was back on the job ! On a cool 45 degrees , damp evening, in the dark.

They were wiring up the transformer that was delivered today, to the equipment.

The transformer is not yet energized, and there isn't a meter installed yet.

I asked them when they would be complete : "Very very soon".

I then asked "When can I plug in ?" : "As soon as Xcel turns on power, and Tesla comes to activate"

Sounds like we could be online next week.