Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Announcement 2013/05/30

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe the supercharger announcement will turn out to be about licensing them. Why would Tesla pass on free sites if the owners were willing to pay some (maybe all) costs? Think of a taxi company that wants to buy MS cars. Why not license a supercharger to them?

Maybe the supercharger announcement will turn out to be about licensing them. Why would Tesla pass on free sites if the owners were willing to pay some (maybe all) costs? Think of a taxi company that wants to buy MS cars. Why not license a supercharger to them?

Too capital expensive. $250K is a lot of infrastructure. HPWC with twin charging offers 60 miles/hour for less than $4000 installed.

Okay, found this interview just published with Javier Verdura, Director of Product Design & Project Management at Tesla Motors and he's restated Elon's prior tweet a bit differently:

"
Charging technology is only going to improve with time. Charging times will decrease significantly and range will increase accordingly. In the very near future, the argument that internal combustion automobiles are more convenient than electric vehicles will be a moot point. You will be able to arrive at a charging station with an empty battery and drive off with a full charge faster than you can fill up a gas tank."

Not sure we can glean anything new from it, but, it's interesting to read a new point of view from within the company (along with some great insights into working with Elon and Tesla's emphasis on design) - here is the article:
http://www.core77.com/blog/announce...with_javier_verdura_of_tesla_motors_24947.asp

Wait a second. No... Nobody is expecting a significant increase of charging speed over time. Not in the very near future, nor 100 years from now.

We're not running into battery chemistry limits here - these are physical supply-side limits we're up against. To recharge 150 miles in < 5 mins would require 540 kWh/h, which would require either a 1500 AMP supply, or a 2400 V supply.

You can't lift a 1500 AMP cable by hand, and 2400 V will arc over everything in the car. Even an intermediary mix (like 750 AMP @ 1200 V) isn't anywhere close to being practical.

Yet... Javier is undeniably talking about advances in actual charge time. You can't interpret his statement to have anything to do with battery swapping (whether Li-Ion or Al-air) like you could do with Elon's tweet.

If there is another way to supply this that's not 1500 AMP or 2400 V, it's not foreseeable now that it will be coming in the future. So if Javier knows this is possible in a different way, they must be already sitting on the technology to do this.

Alternatively, this could be something like a robotic 1500 AMP connector (a robot arm can lift a 1500 AMP cable), that the car will drive up to and it connects "under the nose"? Certainly cheaper and easier than battery swapping.

That's assuming the current battery can handle it internally without modification, which I doubt, but at least I can see battery chemistry improving over time to handle such a rapid charge rate. I however can't see how you would ever be able to connect a 540 kWh/h cable by hand.

Alternatively, this could be something like a robotic 1500 AMP connector (a robot arm can lift a 1500 AMP cable), that the car will drive up to and it connects "under the nose"?

Well since we are making stuff up, why not drive over a raised bed and use the Model S suspension to lower the car to connect for a charge. The connector could be as heavy as you want as it will never move.

Last edited:
Since we're having fun with crazy ideas.....

Could Elon have hidden a second charge port in the MS (in the frunk perhaps)? We know twin chargers work for A/C, could there be a way to plug in two superchargers at the same time? Maybe some special diagnostic mode that splits the battery in 2 parts to charge from 2 sources at the same time. So if they increase to 120, that would be about 10 minutes to fully charge a drained battery.

Since we're having fun with crazy ideas.....

Could Elon have hidden a second charge port in the MS (in the frunk perhaps)? We know twin chargers work for A/C, could there be a way to plug in two superchargers at the same time? Maybe some special diagnostic mode that splits the battery in 2 parts to charge from 2 sources at the same time. So if they increase to 120, that would be about 10 minutes to fully charge a drained battery.

This is actually the least farfetched of any theory I've heard yet. No technological obstacles (metal-air backup) or logistical ones (main battery swapping). The only issue I see is that plugging in 2 cables is inelegant, especially if one is tucked away somewhere.

It will be superseded by an announcement that Tesla Motors will go whole hog on new battery technology that will propel TM product line 700 miles on a single charge.... just kidding.

Or maybe a partnership with AAA for mobile supercharging in the smaller Tesla Markets...lol.

This is actually the least farfetched of any theory I've heard yet. No technological obstacles (metal-air backup) or logistical ones (main battery swapping). The only issue I see is that plugging in 2 cables is inelegant, especially if one is tucked away somewhere.

Dating myself, but I remember some older pickups that had 2 gas tanks. 1 behind the seat in the cab and one underneath. I recall seeing people filling up with 2 pumps simultaneously. Motor Homes do this all the time

Will Elon Musk reveal some more information about the Superchargers at the D11 interview today?

I think that he will actually reveal more information about the Hyperloop at the D11 interview today.

Any thoughts?
I'm betting the announcement is made after the markets close here and before his 7:30 D11 interview, allowing for elaboration and national coverage of the announcement.

I'm betting the announcement is made after the markets close here and before his 7:30 D11 interview, allowing for elaboration and national coverage of the announcement.

That's a possible scenario. But would this scenario contain a Conference Call with a Q&A as well (before Elon Musk goes to the D11 Conference)?

Anyhow, I think that Elon Musk should use his appearance at the D11 Conference (national coverage) for the better of Tesla Motors.

Last edited: