Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Announcement 2013/05/30

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another announcement delay (sigh):

Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk19m
Given govt loan repayment this week (prob Wed), Supercharger update will be next week. Work continuing independent of announcement.

Really smart move on Elon's part. One big announcement a week keeps Tesla in the news and on people's minds. Hopefully they do a big ceremony and get some nice sound bytes for the news channels. This should bump the stock a little and they can do it again next week with the supercharger announcements. Milking this out is better than paying millions for advertisement. You think Ford and GM aren't jealous of this?

Really smart move on Elon's part. One big announcement a week keeps Tesla in the news and on people's minds. Hopefully they do a big ceremony and get some nice sound bytes for the news channels. This should bump the stock a little and they can do it again next week with the supercharger announcements. Milking this out is better than paying millions for advertisement. You think Ford and GM aren't jealous of this?

Well, yeah sure. As a stock holder that's fine. But as an owner I'm still dying to find out the supercharger plans.

Well, yeah sure. As a stock holder that's fine. But as an owner I'm still dying to find out the supercharger plans.

And as a potential future owner I'm dying to know, too! However, I have to be a successful investor in order to afford to be an owner, so milking out publicity as long as possible (therefore keeping stock price up hopefully) takes precedence, I suppose.

Well he did mention that people don't realize the progress of the capabilities and how far they've gone with the superchargers. Then he also added to the comment that you will be able to charge your battery pack faster than filling a tank of gas.

In addition, somewhere in the literature of the crazy earnings week, it was mentioned that they'd have that 3 year map of Supercharger's done by this year? (something to that effect).

Interesting :

(CNN) -- A tiny device that can recharge cell phone batteries in as little as 30 seconds won 18-year-old Eesha Khare a major science award that will help fund her college education at Harvard University.

Khare traveled from her California home to Phoenix last week for the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair, where her invention was honored as one of two winners of Young Scientist Awards.

"I'm in a daze. I can't believe this happened," Khare, a senior at Lynbrook High School in Saratoga, told CNN affiliate KPIX 5.

Khare's device, a black, rectangular type of supercapacitor just over an inch long, can charge a cell phone battery in 20 to 30 seconds, she said.

"I developed a new supercapacitor, which is basically an energy storage device which can hold a lot of energy in a small amount of volume," she told KPIX 5. The technology may also be able to speed up charging of automobile batteries, she said.

A videotape of the award ceremony showed an ecstatic Khare trotting up to the stage when her name was announced in Phoenix, then standing with other winners as the audience at the fair applauded and confetti fell on them.

The award includes a $50,000 prize that will come in handy when Khare heads to Harvard in the fall, she told KPIX 5. With a laugh, she predicted that "I will be setting the world on fire."

In announcing the winners of what it billed as the "world's largest high school research competition," Intel cited Khare for recognizing "the crucial need for energy-efficient storage devices" as the world rapidly adopts portable electronics.

The other winner of a Young Scientist Award with Khare was Henry Lin of Shreveport, Louisiana, who received a $50,000 prize for "simulating thousands of clusters of galaxies" to allow scientists to "better understand the mysteries of astrophysics: dark matter, dark energy and the balance of heating and cooling in the universe's most massive objects," the Intel statement said.

The top prize at the fair went to 19-year-old Ionut Budisteanu of Romania, who used "artificial intelligence to create a viable model for a low-cost, self-driving car," according to an Intel statement. He received the Gordon E. Moore Award, named after the Intel co-founder, which includes a $75,000 prize.

According to Intel, more than 1,500 young scientists from around the world were chosen to compete in last week's fair.

I don't know if it is directly related to the pending supercharger announcement, but the obelisk at Hawthorne was changed sometime during the past two weeks. Pics of the old and new are at the end of my post Minnesota-Test-Drives#post343697.

Sweet! Thanks for the pic! Way better IMHO, but it kinda looks like the end of a flat head screwdriver.

I don't know if it is directly related to the pending supercharger announcement, but the obelisk at Hawthorne was changed sometime during the past two weeks. Pics of the old and new are at the end of my post Minnesota-Test-Drives#post343697.

Interesting. Here's your picture:

attachment.php?attachmentid=22290&d=1369026931.jpg

I think that's more because the old design was ridiculed, rather than any technical reason.

I got to see the new one this weekend at Hawthorne and I quite liked it. I like the curve they put on the edge and how it looks more like a sign (which it is) than the old "rocket" design.

My opinion is probably biased though; after fighting through food festival road closures at Hawthorne, not knowing if I could get there at all, with 19 miles of range and a crying baby in back, it could have been a middle finger with a Tesla logo and I still would have been happy to see it :biggrin:

I think that's more because the old design was ridiculed, rather than any technical reason.

No technical reason, for sure. But I suspect it is part of the whole branding of the improved and mass deployed superchargers. Hopefully we will now see this sign go up at all the sites.

It looks like the tip of a screw driver to me.

Yes, I do like this interpretation, and the reference to the shorts.

The DOE repayment announcement is behind us. It’s time to gets the electrons flowing on what the SC announcement will be about.

With regards to this announcement, let’s make a list of what the possible details might entail?

1. How many new stations will be announced? 5, 10, 20 ???

2. Will they be stand alone, i.e. Tesla will buy or rent space from someone or will they partner with someone else, i.e. with McDonalds so they can have the ability to install hundreds of them along the highways across the US.

3. Will they partner up with SolarCity? In my example above, SolarCity could install panels on McDonalds roof. The solar power provide the power needed for the supercharger station, will reduce McDonalds utility bill, and provide revenue for SolarCity. That’s a win, win, win!!!

4. Will Elon elaborate on his tweet about charging a Model S faster than its takes to fill up a tank of gas? Could this be down with stored solar power that can be rapidly transferred to the Model S?

What other factoids could come out of the announcement?

Thoughts?