Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Announcement 2013/05/30

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updated List of Rumors:

1. How many new stations will be announced? 5, 10, 20 ??? Are any of them ready, have they started to build them or is this just an annoucement of what will come soon?

2. Will they be stand alone, i.e. Tesla will buy or rent space from someone or will they partner with someone else, i.e. with McDonalds (or any other chain restaurant) so they have the ability to install hundreds of them along the highways across the US.

3. Will they partner up with SolarCity? In my example above, SolarCity could install panels on McDonald's roof. The solar power would provide the power needed for the supercharger station, would reduce McDonalds utility bill, and provide revenue for SolarCity. That’s a win, win, win!!!

4. Will Elon elaborate on his tweet about charging a Model S faster than its takes to fill up a tank of gas? Perhaps via a 120 kw charger (thanks to apacheguy)?

Anything else?

Updated List of Rumors:

1. How many new stations will be announced? 5, 10, 20 ??? Are any of them ready, have they started to build them or is this just an annoucement of what will come soon?

I think we can pretty much assume that there won't be any more than maybe one or two new ones immediately available.

If there were - say 20 new ones available, I can't imagine Elon sitting on the information across memorial day weekend, when he could have announced this week. It would be bad PR karma, and also, having a bunch of Model S's driving all across the country on one of the busiest weekends in the year is the best advertising Tesla can get.

I think we can pretty much assume that there won't be any more than maybe one or two new ones immediately available.

If there were - say 20 new ones available, I can't imagine Elon sitting on the information across memorial day weekend, when he could have announced this week. It would be bad PR karma, and also, having a bunch of Model S's driving all across the country on one of the busiest weekends in the year is the best advertising Tesla can get.

I agree that none of them are ready yet, but there may be some that they've already started to build and will be ready in the next couple weeks. We'll see.

Good find. This lends credence to what MikeC reported here:

Tesla Supercharger network - Page 131

I hunted around for an Atascadero permit. Only thing I've found so-far is this:
Application BLD-2013-10836 05/16/13 6950 EL CAMINO REAL
INSTALL NEW ELECTRICAL PANEL, (4)

That's the Rabobank location in Atascadero. Given their past support for charging, it would certainly make sense as a location for 4 superchargers. Why else would a bank be putting in 4 new Electrical Panels?

Okay, found this interview just published with Javier Verdura, Director of Product Design & Project Management at Tesla Motors and he's restated Elon's prior tweet a bit differently:

"
Charging technology is only going to improve with time. Charging times will decrease significantly and range will increase accordingly. In the very near future, the argument that internal combustion automobiles are more convenient than electric vehicles will be a moot point. You will be able to arrive at a charging station with an empty battery and drive off with a full charge faster than you can fill up a gas tank."

Not sure we can glean anything new from it, but, it's interesting to read a new point of view from within the company (along with some great insights into working with Elon and Tesla's emphasis on design) - here is the article:
http://www.core77.com/blog/announce...with_javier_verdura_of_tesla_motors_24947.asp

I was at Freemont service and the sales person / tech? was saying that Tesla was selling Superchargers to Private entities! This could mean something big? She said that they had been trying to get a new condo complex to install some but they weren't into it several months ago but probably now were wishing they would. Not sure what it meant but it sure makes me want to buy a small piece of land for one in the north coast ;> i asked a couple of times to make sure she wasn't talking about selling HPWC to people but actual superchargers!!! Really?
Anyone else heard? I need to get a business plan of some sort together ASAP if it is true

"Supercharged Cinema presents <some movie that runs for just over an hour>."
You know....

That's not all that bad an idea.

I'm not convinced about movies - although short animations, maybe - but I do think that a place that would produce something like a really good hamburger/pulled pork/egg and cheese/hummus and roasted veg sandwich, with fries, small salad and a drink in a nice ambiance in less than 15 minutes plus a range charge for $35 would not be a totally crazy business model. Perhaps you order/reserve ahead from an app on the car's display and it's all waiting for you?

Is it not the case that Supercharger stations put a substantial amount of power into the grid when they are not in use? Wouldn't it be an advantage to a property owner to install a station for the surplus power? How about a backup for power outages?

I was at Freemont service and the sales person / tech? was saying that Tesla was selling Superchargers to Private entities! This could mean something big? She said that they had been trying to get a new condo complex to install some but they weren't into it several months ago but probably now were wishing they would. Not sure what it meant but it sure makes me want to buy a small piece of land for one in the north coast ;> i asked a couple of times to make sure she wasn't talking about selling HPWC to people but actual superchargers!!! Really?
Anyone else heard? I need to get a business plan of some sort together ASAP if it is true
I talked to a lady a couple weeks ago who said she begged and pleaded with Tesla to allow her to install a supercharger at her power plant in Palo Alto (or maybe the plant was out here. I'm not certain on that point. I was just giving her the tour of the car, etc; Tesla Time). They wouldn't do it.

I'm not so sure private ownership of superchargers is a thing. HPWC seems about the right speed (pun intended).

I'm not so sure private ownership of superchargers is a thing. HPWC seems about the right speed (pun intended).

Actually I can think of a bunch of companies in Silicon Valley, namely Apple, Google, Facebook, Cisco, Intel, maybe a few others that, if given the opportunity, would probably love to buy and install full-fledged SuperChargers complete with solar arrays overhead as a perk for employees and as a good-corporate-citizenship/green PR.