Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bakersfield, CA (I-5 / Stockdale Hwy, 10 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That pedestal shouldn't serve your parking spot, from what I can tell. You should plug into the back-in pedestal. If you back in, the charge port will be on the opposite side from the cable next to your car.

I think there's only one configuration that works there, unless I'm missing the point.

Charging here right now at 115 kW (battery at 35%). Have been here several times since it opened but just noticed something odd. See photo below. The pedestal shown on the driver's side of my car actually serves both the space I am parked in (but only if you back into that space) AND the space to the left of where I am parked (but at a right angle). So that one pedestal serves two different spaces. I can't recall another super charger I've ever been to that it has a pedestal that works like that.

View attachment 248557

Petaluma pedestals can serve multiple spaces. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
That pedestal shouldn't serve your parking spot, from what I can tell. You should plug into the back-in pedestal. If you back in, the charge port will be on the opposite side from the cable next to your car.

I think there's only one configuration that works there, unless I'm missing the point.
You are correct. See my post #120 upthread. I was in error.

It's a somewhat unusual stall layout at that end.

Good location and I've rarely seen another car charging there.

In all the hubbub around Kettleman City this charger was pretty empty midday yesterday during Saturday holiday traveling. Tejon and Kettleman are bigger draws than the IHOP here I guess!
We can temporarily enjoy the new normal of copious SuperChargers while the Model 3 belatedly ramps up. We can then enjoy the rollercoaster of insufficient SC's, more than sufficient SC's, insufficient, more than sufficient, repeat, over and over, while the EV population grows, and while Tesla is getting to its steady state market share. Then, once it's achieved that, we can hope they will still treat us with respect and give us an easy time, and do one final buildout, and then maintain it from there. I think we still have many dips and peaks to experience before that. However, just like many deepening-sink projects, the highs and lows may be successively more filtered out by mass. That's my prediction, and I'm usually close to right, but who knows what deviance there will be.

And finally never let it be said again that Tesla will not have enough SuperChargers for the beginning of the Model 3 ramp up, nor have insufficient SuperChargers once they've built them all out at peak automotive market share. It's furthermore highly unlikely that Tesla will fail in this regard, as they have consistently shown, so any fake news to the contrary is just that, fake news.

Last edited:
Note to moderator: The label for this location on the navigation screen in the car is worded: Bakersfield - I5. (Or pretty darn close.)

We know that Tesla is planning another Supercharger in the Bakersfield metropolitan area next year.

Should the thread title be changed to match the Tesla description that appears on the touchscree?

• Informative
Reactions: gnguyen and McManX
Note to moderator: The label for this location on the navigation screen in the car is worded: Bakersfield - I5. (Or pretty darn close.)

We know that Tesla is planning another Supercharger in the Bakersfield metropolitan area next year.

Should the thread title be changed to match the Tesla description that appears on the touchscree?
Ultimately, we should call it what Tesla calls it, but if I could name it I would call it "Stockdale Highway" or "I-5/Stockdale Highway" or something similar. While it might have a Bakersfield address, literally no one would refer to something on I-5 as being "Bakersfield."

I hope they put the new one over near SR 99. Oildale would be handy. My sister lives east of Oildale. :)

On the Tesla website Find Us page it is called “Bakersfield”. See Find Us | Tesla

In the car (I just checked to be sure) it is called “Bakersfield, CA - I-5”. I don’t recall seeing the “I-5” before, so maybe that is new. Probably because of the new Bakersfield Supercharger in or near the city that is coming soon, we hope.

I will change this thread title to include that. Thanks.

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman
Ultimately, we should call it what Tesla calls it, but if I could name it I would call it "Stockdale Highway" or "I-5/Stockdale Highway" or something similar. While it might have a Bakersfield address, literally no one would refer to something on I-5 as being "Bakersfield."

I think Tesla uses the Zip Code city for the place name of the Supercharger. Witness the SC at Topaz Lake, Nevada, that is labled Gardnerville. Gardnerville is 25+ miles away. I do not think there is a post office at Topaz.

I agree that no one would consider any part of Interstate 5 as being anywhere near Buck Owens home town. But Tesla did not ask us smart people for the best possible location nomenclature.

Was at this supercharger about two weekends ago. Half the chargers were surrounded by a rather large puddle. Seems a frequent occurrence given the weather pattern this year. Had to park near the very end to keep from getting damp. Did not go into the gas station, but did get a thumbs up from a passing motorist.

Since this supercharger is nowhere near the city of Bakersfield, it’s stupid and misleading to name it Bakersfield! Tesla does so many things right, then there’s this bonehead play. What happens when the real Bakersfield SC opens? Call this one Topeka?

Since this supercharger is nowhere near the city of Bakersfield, it’s stupid and misleading to name it Bakersfield! Tesla does so many things right, then there’s this bonehead play. What happens when the real Bakersfield SC opens? Call this one Topeka?

Like it or not, the "complain about Bakersfield Supercharger naming" ship has sailed. It's off to join the USS "Gustine" and HMS "Hollister". :)

Bruce.

Last edited:

Damn—you know, when I think about it more, you’re totally right. It doesn’t make sense. Well spotted, and thanks for pointing that out to all of us.

• Funny
Reactions: miimura and PLUS EV
Stopped here several times in the past. Nice shot non-stop from Newport Beach. Don’t frequent, but there has been a good IHOP here. But it’s being remodeled very slowly. Clerk said for 4 months and doesn’t look close to being done Still a good place to recharge, but missing the normal breakfast after a 5:30 am departure.

I stopped by here recently (~2 weeks ago), and the IHOP was closed. The only thing there to eat something within a short walking distance was Jack in the Box. Not my favorite location, but would do in a pinch. Seems like Buttonwillow has more amenities, might stop there next time. Glad I got the 100D, I'm able to get there in 1 shot from the Bay Area.