Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Beaver Dam, KY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great progress! I usually stop at beaver dam during travel so I will be checking these new v3s out in person soon!

The best part of the V3s is not sharing available power with your neighbor. At many of the busy V2 locations I've been to there were so many people you couldn't get your own charging unit so the speed was dropped to ~70kw.

It's been a couple weeks - anyone have updates on this location? I'll likely be driving through the area in about a month - it would be great to have this one available.

Reactions: jsight
The best part of the V3s is not sharing available power with your neighbor. At many of the busy V2 locations I've been to there were so many people you couldn't get your own charging unit so the speed was dropped to ~70kw.

It's been a couple weeks - anyone have updates on this location? I'll likely be driving through the area in about a month - it would be great to have this one available.
I’ll be driving through this Sunday, I will take a photo and update

There are some comments in thread on the Louisville supercharger about someone talking with the Tesla crew who are also working on Beaver Dam site. Indicates work should be done in next couple weeks, but also a comment that lot of utility workers have been pulled to deal with outages in the New Orleans / Gulf Coast so timing to get ulitities to hook on on their side once Tesla is done may be a bit uncertain for a while in this this region.

Stopped by as I was passing through. The rest area and gas station were surprisingly busy. Looking forward to this location.

Attachments

• IMG_0721.jpg
    IMG_0721.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 141
Reactions: mociaf9 and byeLT4
6658C023-218B-4FE9-8C85-9A9EE2212D62.jpeg

Went by beaver dam today. More or less the same progress as last week, however I did confirm that one of the eight chargers will be off to the side corner for those towing and charging per suggestion to Tesla.

Attachments

• 360E99EF-8A3D-4969-9D94-A7F155FE10A9.jpeg
    360E99EF-8A3D-4969-9D94-A7F155FE10A9.jpeg
    865.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 24A5BCB8-CF76-4FBC-B12F-48AE0218A953.jpeg
    24A5BCB8-CF76-4FBC-B12F-48AE0218A953.jpeg
    354.6 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: mociaf9
View attachment 705765
Went by beaver dam today. More or less the same progress as last week, however I did confirm that one of the eight chargers will be off to the side corner for those towing and charging per suggestion to Tesla.
Hey JWAMY, when are you going through Beaver dam again? Make a trip down that way the first week in Oct. Like to know if the Superchargers will be installed

Hey JWAMY, when are you going through Beaver dam again? Make a trip down that way the first week in Oct. Like to know if the Superchargers will be installed

It's highly unlikely they'll be online by then. This being your first forum comment I'm under the impression you haven't been driving a Tesla for long? The Superchargers take MONTHS from start of construction to being available for use.

It's highly unlikely they'll be online by then. This being your first forum comment I'm under the impression you haven't been driving a Tesla for long? The Superchargers take MONTHS from start of construction to being available for use.
Not necessarily...there have been several popping up and going online in just a few weeks lately. It seems Tesla and certain utilities are really starting to streamline the process. Of course that doesn't mean that all utilities and zoning jurisdictions (usually the bottleneck) are all that way, but things have been improving.

Granted, I think with hurricane season upon us, utilities have been busy with other more pressing needs, as well as actual hardware (i.e. transformer) shortages, so things may be a little slower now, but overall I think the construction timelines have shrunk. Granted, sites may sit in the "permit" phase longer, but I think Tesla has determined the appropriate time to start construction based on expected transformer and utility availability so they prioritize sites that are ready to go.

Reactions: LoudMusic
The prefab Superchargers are installed pretty fast. I don’t think Beaver Dam will be prefab, so it will take the usual few months most likely.
There have recently been some sites in the midwest that actually have gone in very quickly even without the prefab approach.

One example is the Speedway Indiana location.

Another is Fair Oaks Farm, Indiana.

Speedway was first noted around mid-April 2021 as having a permit pulled, construction started about the end of April, and the station was on-line at the end of May.

Fair Oaks Farms was first observed as having flags indication site survey/layout in mid-July 2021. Supercharger was up and running on August 28, 2021.

As with most construction projects, construction time is more about managing the logistics and having the right materials, people, and equipment available when it's needed.

Am I saying Beaver Dam will go in this quickly ... not necessarily. However, there are several recent examples in the region where sites have progressed through construction process very quickly.

Another example from my area is the Garner, NC Supercharger. I realize there could be regional differences, but this too is not a pre-fab Supercharger, with the following rough timeline:

Permit submitted: 6/11/21
Construction first spotted: 8/12/21
Reported online: 9/4/21

While construction was well underway when first spotted on 8/12/21, it doesn't seem likely that it commenced any sooner than late July. There are several other examples of this kind of efficiency in NC as well. I really think that Tesla (or really their subcontractors) is getting better at managing coordinating local permitting & inspections departments and utilities, and vice versa, to wind up with a more efficient deployment of actual Supercharger hardware that is arrives on site closer to actual activation, rather than just sitting around for months.

As I said, there may be regional differences, but as more and more of these go in, it should be becoming easier each time.

Not necessarily...there have been several popping up and going online in just a few weeks lately. It seems Tesla and certain utilities are really starting to streamline the process. Of course that doesn't mean that all utilities and zoning jurisdictions (usually the bottleneck) are all that way, but things have been improving.

Granted, I think with hurricane season upon us, utilities have been busy with other more pressing needs, as well as actual hardware (i.e. transformer) shortages, so things may be a little slower now, but overall I think the construction timelines have shrunk. Granted, sites may sit in the "permit" phase longer, but I think Tesla has determined the appropriate time to start construction based on expected transformer and utility availability so they prioritize sites that are ready to go.
I had a Tesla for many years actually! My home town is in Western Ky and it would be nice to have a charging station in that location since the nearest locations are over an hour off my final destination

Took a roadtrip today from Louisville to Land Between the Lakes & back. Stopped at the Beaver Dam rest area & saw the new Supercharger location construction. Spoke with one of the workers & he said they had 2 weeks of work to finish ( photo attached). Transformer still not in place . As mentioned in earlier posts, this will be 8 stalls with 1 way off to the side to accomodate towing . This is a very busy location that will be great for stopping for a charge before reaching Kuttawa in west Ky ( 8 stalls at 150kw). This will make the trip to west Ky. much less stressful. Hopefully Elizabethtown is still in the works. Preston Hwy. in Louisville was live today as well although not offically recognized as such (free charging today!).
IMG_20211001_100945.jpg

Took a roadtrip today from Louisville to Land Between the Lakes & back. Stopped at the Beaver Dam rest area & saw the new Supercharger location construction. Spoke with one of the workers & he said they had 2 weeks of work to finish ( photo attached). Transformer still not in place . As mentioned in earlier posts, this will be 8 stalls with 1 way off to the side to accomodate towing . This is a very busy location that will be great for stopping for a charge before reaching Kuttawa in west Ky ( 8 stalls at 150kw). This will make the trip to west Ky. much less stressful. Hopefully Elizabethtown is still in the works. Preston Hwy. in Louisville was live today as well although not offically recognized as such (free charging today!).

It would be great if those of us who visit sites under construction could get in the habit of asking the workers if they know where they're headed next ;)

Reactions: kpgrizz
It would be great if those of us who visit sites under construction could get in the habit of asking the workers if they know where they're headed next ;)
The same company doing the Preston one in Louisville is doing the Beaver Dam one, so hopefully with the Louisville one being done, they can speed things up at Beaver Dam. Don't know who's doing the Etown one yet.

Reactions: JWAMY and LoudMusic
Took a roadtrip today from Louisville to Land Between the Lakes & back. Stopped at the Beaver Dam rest area & saw the new Supercharger location construction. Spoke with one of the workers & he said they had 2 weeks of work to finish ( photo attached). Transformer still not in place . As mentioned in earlier posts, this will be 8 stalls with 1 way off to the side to accomodate towing . This is a very busy location that will be great for stopping for a charge before reaching Kuttawa in west Ky ( 8 stalls at 150kw). This will make the trip to west Ky. much less stressful. Hopefully Elizabethtown is still in the works. Preston Hwy. in Louisville was live today as well although not offically recognized as such (free charging today!).View attachment 716862
I was there today. Thanks for the update

Attachments

• 783D9727-CECC-492E-9453-53EE2D6A2230.jpeg
    783D9727-CECC-492E-9453-53EE2D6A2230.jpeg
    404.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 345BAF47-97EC-4F6B-9AE1-7D3B68EB6EDE.jpeg
    345BAF47-97EC-4F6B-9AE1-7D3B68EB6EDE.jpeg
    473.5 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: JWAMY and mociaf9