Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Shoreline, WA (Under Construction Aug 2023, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, it looks like a real project to get power run over to this location. They need to run power across the street and then fix the paving and sidewalk. I'm guessing we'll see some programmable signs warning of an overnight road closure for a few days before this site has power and a transformer.

Are all the metal plates running across the street gone? That will probably be our next step to get power to the site.

Yeah, it looks like a real project to get power run over to this location. They need to run power across the street and then fix the paving and sidewalk. I'm guessing we'll see some programmable signs warning of an overnight road closure for a few days before this site has power and a transformer.

Are all the metal plates running across the street gone? That will probably be our next step to get power to the site.
Confused as to why you think they need an overnight road closure? They have already trenched across the road. They will run conduit in the trench then fill it in and pave. If the metal plates are gone, that means the conduit is in place. Then they will fish the wires through the conduit from the connection point. Filling in the trenches can happen with one lane closures for a couple hours each lane. I doubt they will close the road to finish this.

New electrical contractor. Polarity Rivers run with Tesla may be over. This site is switching to Innovative Electrical from Idaho.
1709016152175.png

Yes, the metal plates are gone, but work clearly isn't complete.

I wonder if this change has any relation to all the delayed supercharger sites from Blaine to Tacoma.
What delay in Tacoma? Hosmer St? Construction started in December, it has only been 2 months. Transformer is there but not charge posts so that delay is on Tesla, not the electrical contractor.

Blaine started in November so 3 months. Posts weren't up til end of January so it has only been a month since then. There is some site work that might be needed to be done to close out the permit with Blaine/County. That would prevent site from being activated even though it appears ready. That has nothing to do with the electrical contractor, only the site general contractor.

Shoreline has some issues as does Sammamish. Those are delays. When you have a visually complete site that isn't active for 6+ months, those are delays.

More pics. Waiting on a transformer at least.

That big square aluminum assembly looks like it's something to run cables around the transformer, but... any ideas?
View attachment 1028808View attachment 1028809View attachment 1028810
Unless there are holes in it for cables to enter, it's not to just run extra cables in circles around the transformer. It almost looks like a catch basin or something so if the transformer leaks oil, it will collect in there. The earlier pictures had a screen/grating on it.

Unless there are holes in it for cables to enter, it's not to just run extra cables in circles around the transformer. It almost looks like a catch basin or something so if the transformer leaks oil, it will collect in there. The earlier pictures had a screen/grating on it.
Yes, the screen/grating pieces were piled up in the fenced-off enclosure where the transformer will go.

I noticed just one big rectangular grated hole at one point in the side, I'm thinking that the grate might be temporary and this would be an entry for cables, OR your theory is correct, and it's there to catch transformer oil.

But then, I've never seen or noticed such a thing at any other SC site. Why is it unique to this location? IMO that could support your oil-catch theory because this is the only SC in Shoreline and our city council is very environmentally aware.

Short of physical damage (a car or meteor hits it) why would a transformer leak oil? I think it would just shut down before overheating.

Yes, the screen/grating pieces were piled up in the fenced-off enclosure where the transformer will go.

I noticed just one big rectangular grated hole at one point in the side, I'm thinking that the grate might be temporary and this would be an entry for cables, OR your theory is correct, and it's there to catch transformer oil.

But then, I've never seen or noticed such a thing at any other SC site. Why is it unique to this location? IMO that could support your oil-catch theory because this is the only SC in Shoreline and our city council is very environmentally aware.

Short of physical damage (a car or meteor hits it) why would a transformer leak oil? I think it would just shut down before overheating.
I think it is not for cables because it is not a sealed closed track. Grates on top allow water in so cables would be sitting in water. There do not appear to be drain holes on the bottom. And again, why would you have this type of cable thing when you have loads of plastic conduit already there. Makes no sense as a cable raceway, especially for such high amperage power.

Reactions: Astrochimp
I think it is not for cables because it is not a sealed closed track. Grates on top allow water in so cables would be sitting in water. There do not appear to be drain holes on the bottom. And again, why would you have this type of cable thing when you have loads of plastic conduit already there. Makes no sense as a cable raceway, especially for such high amperage power.
Agree, but we still don't know why this thing is unique, or why it's necessary to "catch oil" from the transformer.