Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mt. Hope, WV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Making it ... and making it with 10+% range remaining with a family of 4+ are probably slightly different. I have no problem rolling in to a supercharger with 1 mile of range remaining but I try not to do that when I have someone with me let alone if I had kids along for the ride.

It's great that a 75D was able to make it the 185 miles and up the 1,300 ft elevation gain. It would help if you indicate what your starting range was, what your typical cruising speed was on the Interstates, what temp and fan the settings were (super hot and full fan, hot and med fan, average, off, etc.), and what your Wh/mi average was for the trip. Perhaps it was 250 miles starting range and 65-70 mph so 42 miles left would be ~16% but for some people that is below what they are comfortable having at their destination.

The 40 miles from Weston to Rt 19 and the 75 miles from Beckley to Wytheville are 70 mph zones on the Interstates. The section after Beckley has the larger hills to climb so tackling those at <70mph would be ideal while the relatively flat section after Weston could be driven at perhaps 70-75 mph without much loss of range.

A stop in Beckley for an early Dinner next to a J1772 charger would be an easy way to get some additional range to ease any stress. Maybe RedOctober wears gloves and a jacket and barely uses the heat while someone else cranks the heat. Those will be very different Wh/mi numbers for the same 185-mile trip. An S85 and an S75D look to have almost the same max range but I believe the 75D is slightly more efficient at driving due to the 2nd motor but forget if that has been tested anywhere.

Good luck either way to you, FrozenCanuck, but there are a good number of options even if the Weston-Beckley-Wytheville route is attempted so it is quite different than trying to make the same trip through an area that has zero charging options.
I didn’t have to wear gloves but it was cool in the car. I had 250 miles of range when I started but I did mention there are a couple Tesla level 2 chargers at the Hawks Nest Park if someone is having range anxiety.

I didn’t have to wear gloves but it was cool in the car. I had 250 miles of range when I started but I did mention there are a couple Tesla level 2 chargers at the Hawks Nest Park if someone is having range anxiety.
Thanks for clarifying the starting range.

As for the side trip to Hawks Nest ... I don't think that is even worth entertaining. It is 8 miles from Rt 19 and would take 11 minutes plus 1 minute to park and plug in. Charging for 1 hour should get about 25 miles of charge (28 max). Then another 1 minute to unplug and get to the road, then another 11 minutes to get back to Rt 19.

You'd get 25 (or 28) miles of charge and take 83 minutes to go over, charge, and come back but would use 8 miles getting back. So 83 minutes would only get 17 (or 20) net miles of charge. It would probably be MUCH quicker to just drive 5 mph slower for 2 hrs and lose just 10 minutes of time and NOT take an 83-minute side trip for a Level 2 charger. 10 minutes longer of a trip is much better than 83 minutes longer imho.

Besides, if you are going to make the trip 83 minutes longer with a Hawks Nest stop then just detour to Charleston as that only adds 30 minutes longer of a drive and then ~30 minutes at the supercharger so even heading over to Charleston would be quicker than a stop at Hawks Nest ... assuming the driver won't be able to safely make it directly to Wytheville.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak and mrElbe
Tuesday Jan 30th 10:45 am.

This may have been addressed prior and I just missed it.

Has anyone verified if the installed meter is powered? If not it is probably still a power company supply issue.

Last edited:
Planning a trip from TN to PA on Easter weekend. Hoping we can take the X but probably won’t if this isn’t open yet...

The X should definitely be able to make it even if Beckley isn't online in time. What's your max range? I assume your route would be from Bristol to Wytheville to Weston? It also depends where you head in PA so Pittsburgh vs Erie vs Harrisburg and east / northeast could have different route options.

Read some of my posts earlier in this thread and just reverse the trip that I noted from Weston to Wytheville or Cambridge to Wytheville. Again, if the 185-mile mostly-downhill section from Wytheville, VA to Weston, WV isn't possible (as it might consume 265 miles of range in your X) then just take the short detour over to Charleston, WV which only adds 45 miles and 40 minutes to the drive plus whatever time you'd charge in Charleston (15 to 20 minutes is probably all that is needed).

The detour to Charleston would only add ~1 hr on to the trip instead of taking a gas car and spending ~$100 in gas? The detour doesn't seem like that much of an inconvenience to save $100 (or more) but that's up to you.

• Informative
Reactions: 1101011
In Beckley with my wife now looking for a resort home or cabin. We came in her gas car from the Baltimore area. With weekend traffic it was a 6 hour drive. The supercharger will be a deciding factor, so I’m very pleased to learn that there will be one. Also pleased to learn that the toll is EasyPass — we went around it through Beckley itself, not to avoid the toll but to see the town. It’s a PIA diversion of you’re in a hurry, especially to avoid 40 cents.

In Beckley with my wife now looking for a resort home or cabin. We came in her gas car from the Baltimore area. With weekend traffic it was a 6 hour drive. The supercharger will be a deciding factor, so I’m very pleased to learn that there will be one. Also pleased to learn that the toll is EasyPass — we went around it through Beckley itself, not to avoid the toll but to see the town. It’s a PIA diversion of you’re in a hurry, especially to avoid 40 cents.
I wouldn’t be so sure this will ever be operational. It has been complete since mid November.

Beckley (Mt. Hope?) shows up on my car's nav. screen this morning.
On mine, too! Not yet on the tesla.com site.

FullSizeRender.jpg