Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bishop, CA (LIVE 18 Nov 2020, 12 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bishop city council just had their meeting. Public works sometimes lists the permits there, sometimes not. They showed nothing this time. Will continue to look out for it.
Whoever travels this route, please stop by and scope it out for us. 151 S Warren St. Awesome location, even if the walk to Schatt's is a litte far.

Attachments

• Bishop Supercharger Location.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 102
Update today:
Just got off the phone with someone at Bishop. They are incredibly friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, the actual permit has NOT been issued yet. Seems strange to me, as the delay would be on Tesla. Given the detailed plans they have laid out, one could assume that all the details for construction have been completed and it would only be a matter of submitting the request.

Any idea how long it'll take to complete? I'm waiting for my Model 3 but once I have it I'll be making many trips to Bishop to visit family so a supercharger there would be great!

There are superchargers in Mammoth Lakes and Lone Pine (which is currently being upgraded from 4 to 10 stalls, so until it's completed you're not far from superchargers. Alternatively, get your fam to buy an extension cord for you and just plug in to a 110.

Any idea how long it'll take to complete? I'm waiting for my Model 3 but once I have it I'll be making many trips to Bishop to visit family so a supercharger there would be great!
Still no word on the actual permit. Though one person in the city told me it was done, another was not as sure. I have yet to find proof otherwise, and I did not see the submittal of a permit to the City Council as of tonight's meeting.
Once a permit is issued, construction, once it commences, can take as little as a few weeks to several months.

In the meantime, you can get a good charge in LP and have plenty to spare in Bishop. There are brand new charges at the Vons, I believe. CHAdeMO and ElectryAmerica. Not sure if they opened yet either though, as PlugShare says "Coming Soon". I know that are close to, if not already online.

I just received a call from the planning dept at Bishop. Isn't that amazing??!! He called me! It is so nice to have such a friendly and receptive city staff. Not only that, but we had a great conversation about EVs being the wave of the future. He is very excited to have the project come through. Interestingly enough, plans were submitted to Bishop about 2 years ago, and were rejected. He cannot recall why.

Anyway, there were some small items that needed to be resolved in plan check, and the permit is almost finalized. I'll leave him alone for now and call him again in a few weeks.

I just received a call from the planning dept at Bishop. Isn't that amazing??!! He called me! It is so nice to have such a friendly and receptive city staff. Not only that, but we had a great conversation about EVs being the wave of the future. He is very excited to have the project come through. Interestingly enough, plans were submitted to Bishop about 2 years ago, and were rejected. He cannot recall why.

Anyway, there were some small items that needed to be resolved in plan check, and the permit is almost finalized. I'll leave him alone for now and call him again in a few weeks.

This may or may not be the same rejection that he could not recall.

I was in contact with a woman in the planning department shortly after Lone Pine was in the works. i seem to recall that this was around late 2015. She had informed me that Tesla had scouted a couple of locations in Bishop, and that the plans had been OK in principle (assuming that there would not be any unusual items that would have popped out and delayed issuance once formally submitted.)

The problem was that Tesla did not find a suitable location at reasonable cost to Tesla. I recall that one location in particular wanted an exorbitant amount in rent for 8 stalls, so Tesla looked elsewhere. After nearly a year of trying to negotiate a location, Tesla went to Mammoth Lakes.

Again, there might have been another proposal between the construction of Mammoth Lakes and the present location that your contact was referring to. If so, this was really under the radar the past 36-42 months.

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart

Nice, thanks for following up!

I'll be down there in a couple weeks and check out the chargers at Vons to see if they're there or not.

Nice, thanks for following up!

I'll be down there in a couple weeks and check out the chargers at Vons to see if they're there or not.
The chargers at Vons are there. Right next to the gas station. The question is if they are working, I'm not going to find out anytime soon though because I don't have the $500 adapter that works on only 1 of the 4 chargers and only up to 50kw. Also, the pricing is so much higher than the superchargers so I'm doing what I can to avoid it.

The chargers at Vons are there. Right next to the gas station. The question is if they are working, I'm not going to find out anytime soon though because I don't have the $500 adapter that works on only 1 of the 4 chargers and only up to 50kw. Also, the pricing is so much higher than the superchargers so I'm doing what I can to avoid it.

Made it over there tonight. They aren't working yet unfortunately. Saw someone else there who had just called the support line to confirm they're obviously installed but not turned on yet.

I also stopped by the future supercharger site to see if they had started any kind of construction but it looks like they haven't done anything yet, as expected.

Attachments

• 20191224_165236.jpg
    20191224_165236.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Informative
Reactions: gene and mociaf9
Made it over there tonight. They aren't working yet unfortunately. Saw someone else there who had just called the support line to confirm they're obviously installed but not turned on yet.

I also stopped by the future supercharger site to see if they had started any kind of construction but it looks like they haven't done anything yet, as expected.
I hope you skied today. Epic day

Update:
I just had a wonderful, full 10 minute conversation with someone at Public Works. She is fascinated with the idea of EVs and had no knowledge of how any of this works until she spoke to me. She had many excellent inquisitive questions, particularly about charging etiquette, and how we know when we are done, what happens if someone leaves their car plugged in, etc, etc.

Anyway, the permit is almost complete. There are several corrections that were just sent back, and they expect that the final permit will be issued "sometime this month." I now have her direct email address and she has mine, and said she will try to give me updates (if she remembers).