Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Blaine, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the White Rock - Blaine argument could be similar to this Sault Sainte Marie situation. Where Tesla is building two charges one across another from the border.

Any other possible ideas guys? View attachment 433265View attachment 433266

Agreed. I expect to see them build something in White Rock, in addition to Blaine. I also expect something to pop up in Abbotsford within two years. But really, those possibilities should be getting discussed in the existing Western Canada Superchargers thread.

I dunno, I wouldn’t say it is bogus. I don’t remember when Princeton and Osoyoos BC and a bunch more in Canada got added. I don’t remember seeing them on the map before.
Here's a post which shows those two listed at least as early as end of December 2018/start of January 2019 more than 6 months ago (see the block listing at the very bottom, or text search by city name): Tesla Supercharger network

Maybe “White Rock” pin on the map is “Blaine”. They are literally 10 miles apart and serve people travelling on a road trip rather equally I would say. You could argue about chewing power while stuck in line at the border, but that’s poor planning IMO. Are there other Superchargers around this area only 10 miles apart?

What are the odds when Blaine goes live, White Rock pin disappears and becomes Blaine?
If those two were both on the same side of the border, I would say that was absolutely the case. Tesla isn't that particular with their grey pins. And a separation of 10 or 15 miles is totally believable. However, I have a hard time accepting this with the two cities on opposite sides of the border. My standard is, if you were discussing a place with someone who wasn't from the area and not really familiar with it, would you consider it acceptable to use the other city's name. If you told someone you were from the White Rock, BC area, no one would consider Blaine, WA as a possibility even though they are so close and in geographic terms it might be accurate.

• Informative
Reactions: darth_vad3r
Here's a post which shows those two listed at least as early as end of December 2018/start of January 2019 more than 6 months ago (see the block listing at the very bottom, or text search by city name): Tesla Supercharger network
Thanks for that link. Now I’m wondering when they got added to the online map and when the last time I looked at it was :) ... maybe last fall or earlier :) ... since March I’ve had the in-car map :)

If those two were both on the same side of the border, I would say that was absolutely the case. Tesla isn't that particular with their grey pins. And a separation of 10 or 15 miles is totally believable. However, I have a hard time accepting this with the two cities on opposite sides of the border. My standard is, if you were discussing a place with someone who wasn't from the area and not really familiar with it, would you consider it acceptable to use the other city's name. If you told someone you were from the White Rock, BC area, no one would consider Blaine, WA as a possibility even though they are so close and in geographic terms it might be accurate.

Ya, good point. Guess we’ll see.

In terms of not being particular with their pins, I don’t think they actually place pins in a specific location at all. They just name them and Google Maps puts the pin where Google would normally put that name (or pin) on the map. At least this seems to be the case for all the local grey pins I’ve looked at (Richmond, Burnaby, etc).

Thanks for that link. Now I’m wondering when they got added to the online map and when the last time I looked at it was :) ... maybe last fall or earlier :) ... since March I’ve had the in-car map :)

Ya, good point. Guess we’ll see.

In terms of not being particular with their pins, I don’t think they actually place pins in a specific location at all. They just name them and Google Maps puts the pin where Google would normally put that name (or pin) on the map. At least this seems to be the case for all the local grey pins I’ve looked at (Richmond, Burnaby, etc).

yep, birch bay square, where the "blaine" sc will be, is only a blaine mailing address, pretty far south of "town", as such things go.

I think the White Rock - Blaine argument could be similar to this Sault Sainte Marie situation. Where Tesla is building two charges one across another from the border.

Any other possible ideas guys? View attachment 433265View attachment 433266
It's also similar to ferries where they tend to build one on each side of a major ferry route. Tsawwassen and Nanaimo/Victoria, Lewes DE and Cape May Court House NJ, etc. At least we can hope that *eventually* they will build one on each side, because crossing a border and/or taking a ferry to supercharge on the other side is not very feasible.

It's also similar to ferries where they tend to build one on each side of a major ferry route. Tsawwassen and Nanaimo/Victoria, Lewes DE and Cape May Court House NJ, etc. At least we can hope that *eventually* they will build one on each side, because crossing a border and/or taking a ferry to supercharge on the other side is not very feasible.

If you are on a roadtrip it's perfectly feasible, and that's the main aim for the V3 supercharger buildout ... roadtrips. You don't need a V3 on both sides of a border IMO.

If you want an Urban SC on the other side to serve local-chargers, that's a different story.

The ferry argument is different. It's not a bridge or a border. Victoria ferries can leave for many different locations, not just Tsawassen, so it makes sense to want to charge there before ending up on some small island. Same thing for Tsawassen and Nanaimo. Not everyone is going between these 3 ferry terminals ... to serve people headed to smaller islands (or perhaps multiple smaller islands) on a trip, you want a supercharger before they get on the ferry (or after they get off on the return).

For people headed from Tsawassen to Victoria, one of the SCs is redundant. They are both there to serve people headed to other islands IMO.

Having a SC in Blaine *and* in White Rock is redundant (for roadtrips, V3 (or V2) SCs).

For Urban charging that's another argument.

You definitely shouldn't be taking a ferry or crossing a border just "to charge". You shouldn't be leaving your house to charge. We need to fix that. Home charging/street charging for everyone. Tesla can't do that alone. They are trying. They can't cover everyone with Urban SCs (yet).

Reactions: Vancity-Tes1a
Now that I think of it more, Blaine is a perfect location for a high speed Supercharger over White Rock, in serving Teslas goal of enabling road trips.

If it was in more densely populated White Rock/Surrey, it would be overrun by local chargers, and clog up the charger for roadtrippers.

Where they are putting it puts it inconveniently located for BC residents solely looking for a local charge, while making it immensely convenient for any roadtrippers crossing the border in either direction.

Kudos to Tesla for choosing that location. Seconds from the I-5 and minutes away from the border.

IMO if a White Rock one gets built in addition to the Blaine one, the WR one should be an Urban one with more stalls, next to a grocery store, not a high power V2 or V3 one for roadtrippers who want the quickest charge possible.

I’m wondering if I’ll actually ever need to use this location. Others in Vancouver BC area will probably be in similar position.

On the way south maybe only if I unexpectedly left for a trip <50% for some reason. Otherwise the other WA SCs further south let you charge more efficiently by arriving at a lower SoC.

I think for a return trip north it will be a good security blanket to make sure I can get home from a trip with decent amount of range for the next day. Even then, after a long trip when so close to home, I don’t know that the passengers will want to stop to charge rather than continue straight home :)

I like the location, it’s great, I just don’t think it will act like anything other than a security blanket in both directions for most Vancouver area residents. Security blankets are great though. Also enabling an easy impromptu unplanned trip with only a small detour ... you can get to there with probably under 20% SoC from anywhere around Vancouver :)

Overall, two thumbs up ... I’m just coming to realize I probably won’t need it much :)

Just throwing out one trip option is if you left Blaine in an SR+ you could round trip Whistler with about 10-20% remaining and never charge in Canada at all. Or juuuuust barely from Seattle to Whistler to Blaine in an LR (plus a hot second at an L1 garage plug.)

Not the worst option either. I usually get into Whistler super late at night, the Whistler SC is awful and if you are leaving at Whistler Rush-hour Squamish can be busy. Also all Vancouver chargers are out of the way.

I might try this next time instead of stopping at Squamish

Reactions: darth_vad3r
Just throwing out one trip option is if you left Blaine in an SR+ you could round trip Whistler with about 10-20% remaining and never charge in Canada at all. Or juuuuust barely from Seattle to Whistler to Blaine in an LR (plus a hot second at an L1 garage plug.)

Not the worst option either. I usually get into Whistler super late at night, the Whistler SC is awful and if you are leaving at Whistler Rush-hour Squamish can be busy. Also all Vancouver chargers are out of the way.

I might try this next time instead of stopping at Squamish

Yep, that's a good new option.

Not sure if you mean all the Vancouver area chargers are out of the way, or just specifically Vancouver proper ... the Guildford Supercharger in Surrey is only about a 1-minute detour off the Hwy 1 if you take Hwy 1 / Hwy 15 and bypass downtown Vancouver instead of taking the Hwy 99 through Richmond and Vancouver.

Google doesn't suggest that route, but I would. It's only 2 miles and 4 minutes longer according to Google ... I think it'd actually be quicker as you avoid the Richmond tunnel and bridge, and driving through Vancouver. Hwy 15 is a straight shot up from the truck crossing to Hwy 1, then you are on Hwy 1 all the way to Whistler essentially since Hwy 1 becomes the 99 after the ferry terminal takes the "highway 1" across the water to Vancouver Island.

This might mess with your consumption estimates though as I think you'd average a higher top speed this way :)

... anyways, this route goes right by the Surrey SC.

EDIT: Apparently the 2 mile longer wasn't versus Hwy 99, but Hwy 99 + 91 + cutting through New West and Burnaby to the Hwy 1 ... I totally would not do that route either. The Hwy 99 route through Vancouver is even longer/slower ... so ya, I'd totally take Hwy 15 to Hwy 1 and in that case you've got one extra Supercharger that you are going to go right past on your way home if you need it before reaching Blaine.

• Informative
Reactions: im.thatoneguy
Blaine to Blaine round-trip, via I-5, Hwy 15, Hwy 1, Hwy 99 to Whistler BC and back via a 4-minute Supercharger stop in Guildford in an SR+:

A Better Routeplanner

I had to put some waypoints near Hwy 15 and Hwy 1 to force it to go that way.

Screenshot from 2019-07-30 20-25-25.png