Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Blaine, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2 days is not enough time to deliver and install that many pedestals, do all their internal testing, get final inspection done, and turn on the juice, mind you all over a holiday. Even if the pedestals are shipped tomorrow we are talking at least a month.

2 days is not enough time to deliver and install that many pedestals, do all their internal testing, get final inspection done, and turn on the juice, mind you all over a holiday. Even if the pedestals are shipped tomorrow we are talking at least a month.
I'll be back from vacation on August 4th and probably at this rate, we will have to wait until 2020 to get the pedestals installed :p

I got an alert from the (Non Tesla) SuperChargers App about someone charging successfully at 10:26 AM on July 5. Bogus?
Bogus. I was there last Wednesday and still no pedestals installed.
OK, Thanks. It is pretty easy to make a incorrect "check-in" with that App. I don't think it checks your location so you could "check-in" at a SC hundreds of miles away by accident.

IMG_1392.jpg
not much progress, certainly doesn't appear operational, lol.

Who's talking about a story? I'm talking about the effect.

There are 3 Superchargers in Vancouver, you could stop at, if you need to. But you wouldn't unless you really have to, and ifyou're passing through, the Vancouver Superchargers are out of the way.

As I see it, it's just another Supercharger that adds to network density and capacity in an area with a good number of Teslas.

And, forget "more useful", Tesla gets sites agreed and they get built, as long as they're not dependent on others to form a useful chain. We see this all over.

There are a LOT of people going to Canada, Americans visiting (1.00 US$ = 1.33 CA$ so why wouldn't you?) and Canadians coming south for Seahawks/Marininer games or their nice Washington properties :).
Lineups can be hours long to get over the Border on a regular basis.
Blaine/Birch Bay makes huge sense.
Now we just need one on the other side on Canada BC Highway 99 in White Rock/South Surrey for the exact same reason.
You want to top up before waiting in line.
Its better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited:
We live in Seattle and use the Vancouver airport often. We usually drive straight to the airport, and park the car. On the return trip we usually don't have enough charge remaining (in Winter and after some time has passed) to make it to Burlington. This makes it easy for us to complete the trip without having to stop at that out of the way outlet mall in Canada.

Just a year ago, the Tswassen SuperCharger was THE only SuperCharger around Vancouver when I got my Model 3.
Had to use it for my first week before I got my home HWPC installed.
Yes it sure was out of the way!
Now there are 4 (2 downtown, Tsawassen, North Surrey) around the Lower Mainland and 2 north of it (Squamish & Whistler).
And more to come.
Because we sure have tons of Tesla around here now.
Daily trucks of Teslas coming up north, they are averaging 100+ sold every day and it shows.
Can't drive 5 minutes anywhere without seeing one.

Richmond needs a supercharger without even taking into account BC 99 traffic. Many Teslas there. And when you take Bc 99 traffic into account, then it needs it even more. Crossing the border definitely isn’t as convenient, or even possible, sometimes.

Going across the border just to charge definitely isn’t very convenient or handy. I fully expect Tesla to build up a Richmond supercharger, especially taking into account more and more Teslas in that area as well.

I was not talking about going across the border “to charge”. I’m talking about people on a road trip which is what the high power Superchargers are for. For people crossing the border on a road trip either direction, that location is fine and suits both directions.

If you live in Richmond and can’t charge at home, you want an urban SC nearby to charge. Odds of it being “near” to you are low. Better to find a home-charging solution that you know will be very near :)

Reactions: Seattle Tom
Just a year ago, the Tswassen SuperCharger was THE only SuperCharger around Vancouver when I got my Model 3.
Now there are 4 (2 downtown, Tsawassen, North Surrey) around the Lower Mainland and 2 north of it (Squamish & Whistler).
And more to come.
Daily trucks of Teslas coming up north, they are averaging 100+ sold every day and it shows.
Small correction here. Squamish has been around longer than any of the superchargers listed. When I first drove my Tesla in BC, it was the only one "near" the Vancouver area. Other than that, Hope was the closest. Both of those opened in 2014.

Reactions: darth_vad3r
Small correction here. Squamish has been around longer than any of the superchargers listed. When I first drove my Tesla in BC, it was the only one "near" the Vancouver area. Other than that, Hope was the closest. Both of those opened in 2014.

Yep, and for anyone living “near” Vancouver and wanting to do a trip, Squamish, Hope, and the ones in WA state have been there for over 4 years now enabling trips in all 3 possible directions.

The new buildout plans across BC look good. Princeton and Osoyoos coming “soon”. (Tesla-soon ;))

And more to come.
Yesterday I noticed around 2pm Tsawassen Mills was full, and so was the Surrey charger! I wasn't helping because I was at Tsawassen. None the less we need more stalls in the lower mainland of BC. At least 150kW.

When I come back from Richmond on the 99 to white rock, to visit the Tsawassen charger it's out of way and I bet the same for everyone else. Recently the amount of Tesla in BC have increased so much its insane. Charing has not been able to keep up!

Yesterday I noticed around 2pm Tsawassen Mills was full, and so was the Surrey charger! I wasn't helping because I was at Tsawassen. None the less we need more stalls in the lower mainland of BC. At least 150kW.

When I come back from Richmond on the 99 to white rock, to visit the Tsawassen charger it's out of way and I bet the same for everyone else. Recently the amount of Tesla in BC have increased so much its insane. Charing has not been able to keep up!

When you come back from Richmond to White Rock where you live, why do you need to Supercharge? No home charging solution?

Buying an EV and relying on only away-from-home charging is a risky bet.

Tsawassen Mills is a perfect location for people coming off the ferry terminal. It’s not needed for White Rock to Richmond trip takes takes maybe 10% battery.

White Rock East to Vancouver Island, you pass Tsawassen Mills SC.
White Rock South to Seattle or further south you pass a bunch on I-5 in WA
White Rock to Whistler you pass Squamish SC
White Rock to interior you pass Hope, Merritt, Kamloops/Kelowna SCs.

Only people who don’t charge at home want more local Superchargers. If you can’t charge at home you need to be aware of the situation and be okay with the inconvenience. I don’t want more Superchargers near home, I want more elsewhere for road trips.

Last edited:
When you come back from Richmond to White Rock where you live, why do you need to Supercharge? No home charging solution?

Buying an EV and relying on only away-from-home charging is a risky bet.

Tsawassen Mills is a perfect location for people coming off the ferry terminal. It’s not needed for White Rock to Richmond trip takes takes maybe 10% battery.

White Rock East to Vancouver Island, you pass Tsawassen Mills SC.
White Rock South to Seattle or further south you pass a bunch on I-5 in WA
White Rock to Whistler you pass Squamish SC
White Rock to interior you pass Hope, Merritt, Kamloops/Kelowna SCs.

Only people who don’t charge at home want more local Superchargers. If you can’t charge at home you need to be aware of the situation and be okay with the inconvenience. I don’t want more Superchargers near home, I want more elsewhere for road trips.

I want more Superchargers everywhere for all people. If I visit Richmond or Abbottsford from the USA, I’ll need a place to charge while in town. I’d appreciate places in town (where people live) so I can charge and shop/eat while visiting rather than taking a long detour to Tsawassen.

I could say "Only people who have home charging don't want superchargers on the freeway. I don't want superchargers on the freeway, I want more for convenient local charging."

I'm up to here with this bullshit from entitled Tesla owners who have houses pissing on people who need local charging solutions. Tesla can build both. Tesla needs to build both to sell cars to urban customers. 36% of Tesla's potential customers rent their home. And income is generally higher in cities where people are more likely to be able to afford a Tesla, so I bet the target demographic for Tesla is over 50%.

I don't need to "be aware of the situation" and just be "okay with the inconvenience". We need to change the situation and make it not an inconvenience.

I could say "Only people who have home charging don't want superchargers on the freeway. I don't want superchargers on the freeway, I want more for convenient local charging."

I'm up to here with this bullshit from entitled Tesla owners who have houses pissing on people who need local charging solutions. Tesla can build both. Tesla needs to build both to sell cars to urban customers. 36% of Tesla's potential customers rent their home. And income is generally higher in cities where people are more likely to be able to afford a Tesla, so I bet the target demographic for Tesla is over 50%.

I don't need to "be aware of the situation" and just be "okay with the inconvenience". We need to change the situation and make it not an inconvenience.

I am not entitled, I don’t own a house, and I waited years for Tesla to come out with a cheaper version (model 3) and then three more years after that “cheaper” version was announced before finally getting a “cheap” (not cheap) Tesla (SR+)

People demanding Tesla build them more Urban Superchargers sound entitled as well.

This doesn’t make sense: “I could say "Only people who have home charging don't want superchargers on the freeway.”” Did you mean want superchargers on the freeway?

That doesn’t make sense either. Only people who make trips want Superchargers on freeways between their destinations.
Only people who want to charge locally want local Superchargers.

Fine, these are generalizations. But substitute “only” for “most”. It’s accurate.

Re-read it like that. It’s not entitled. If you want a local charger, what Tesla has in store for you is (by their own plans) “urban superchargers”. It’s way easier to have one large location on freeway choke points that serve millions of travellers than try to cover a million local residents adequately with urban Superchargers. It’s just a numbers game. They would need tons of urban supercharger locations to provide that coverage. That’s VERY unlikely in the near term as they focus on improving the road trip coverage to eliminate range anxiety for all routes.

Sure it would be great if they built both, but resources are not unlimited. Instead of 5 more urban locations in Vancouver area and Seattle area I’d much rather see 5 new V3 locations along new routes into interior BC and WA state.

If you are visiting you can find somewhere to destination charge overnight. At a hotel, at a friends house L1, or at public L2 charger which their are tons of. Supercharging is for fast charging when you want to charge and GTFO. We don’t need that locally. If you wait for Tesla to build you more urban Superchargers if you can’t charge at work, at home, or where you shop already with L2, then you are setting yourself up for disappointment. This is the “situautin” now, and for the near-term future as well, so yes, you and we all can desire a change for the better, but one needs to be aware of the present and near term situation to avoid disappointment. That’s just the present truth. Even a future truth you can’t expect Tesla to provide 100% local coverage for all owners. That’s unreasonable IMO. If you expect that I guarantee disappointment. You might luck out and get a new urban supercharger 2 minutes from where you work or live, but odds are more likely it will be 20-30 minutes away. I’d guess we are 3-5 years away from seeing multiple urban supercharger locations in each local Vancouver municipality. Tsawassen doesn’t count IMO, it’s along a major road trip route to the ferry terminal. I would count Surrey and Vancouver presently. Burnaby, Richmond, and White Rock are pins on the map. They *might* be here in 2019 (the map says 2019, that’s not a promise :)). Hopefully by 2020 all 3 exist. “Tesla time”.

Anyone can legitimately hope and wish for more, but the reality is that more than already planned is a long way off, and if you don’t accept this or acknowledge it, you will be disappointed.

It would be easier to lobby apartment, condo, and stratas to add L2 charging, and have tenant right-to-charge rules added so landlords have to provide access, rather than hope for Tesla to come along and solve all the local charging needs. What about all the Leaf, Kia, Hyundai, etc, etc owners? They need local charging too. Not Urban Superchargers. We need solutions for all EVs.

Tesla’s done a fantastic job with limited resources building out a road trip network of Superchargers and also now tried to supplement that locally with Urban Superchargers ... but there’s only so much one car company can do.

Urban supercharging is a shitty home charging solution. Renters should demand true home charging and have the right to that. It’s way better.

Last edited:
There are enough superchargers to accommodate the 2-3 big road trips most owners take. But daily commuting is the self described "inconvenience".

Renters will not get street parking chargers any time soon. Everybody pretty much goes grocery shopping.

If Seattle core has 800k people in a 3 mi radius that's an easy win with potentially selling 400k more cars to renters with a single location that is reasonably convenient.

If you need to travel more than 300 miles there is a good chance you'll fly. You have to make daily commuting easy though.

Elon said it himself, people aren't stupid. If they build a supercharger and a service center people buy a ton of cars. I looked at a townhouse today. Brand new construction. Street parking only. It would cost $10+ to add home charging. My office has no charging. It would cost me thousands of dollars to add that to a property I don't own. There is not enough incentive for rental owners or workplaces to spend loads of money on charging when they don't even invest in decent door knobs let alone $50k in L2 chargers.

It's far cheaper to build a $500k supercharger that serves 100 people a day than to install $50k in equipment that serves 5 people a day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl