Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Boardman, OR (LIVE Jun 2022, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We take our ICE from Bend to Kennewick because of lack of charging between Biggs and Kennewick. We can typically make it from Bend->Kennewick but the return route requires a stop in the Dalles which adds 1hr or so to our trip. For the first year we were all fired up about our M3 and just tacked on the 1hr, but we go 4-6 times a year and eventually I got fed up with the lost time - we were often in a hurry to catch a game or dinner w/ family. Dec '21, we couldn't even get our LR MY from Bend->Kennewick due to snow/wind. That was a real bummer because we didn't realize we were going to be short until we were passed Shaniko and ended up having to backtrack 20 miles from Biggs to the Dalles. That added > 90m to the trip and rather than driving icy roads in daylight we were whiteknuckling in the dark.

Boardman is not if, but when...

We take our ICE from Bend to Kennewick because of lack of charging between Biggs and Kennewick. We can typically make it from Bend->Kennewick but the return route requires a stop in the Dalles which adds 1hr or so to our trip. For the first year we were all fired up about our M3 and just tacked on the 1hr, but we go 4-6 times a year and eventually I got fed up with the lost time - we were often in a hurry to catch a game or dinner w/ family. Dec '21, we couldn't even get our LR MY from Bend->Kennewick due to snow/wind. That was a real bummer because we didn't realize we were going to be short until we were passed Shaniko and ended up having to backtrack 20 miles from Biggs to the Dalles. That added > 90m to the trip and rather than driving icy roads in daylight we were whiteknuckling in the dark.

Boardman is not if, but when...
The detour to the Dalles isn't nearly as bad as you are making it out to be. It adds 15 minutes driving time plus maybe 5 minutes (at most) of additional charging time. I'm assuming you would take the fastest route along US197 through Maupin.

Reactions: Jedibryan
Tesla's find us website has updated this evening with a previously unknown location - Boardman, OR, target Q2 2022. Any leads on this location? For me, probably THE most crucial new location in Oregon at the moment.

Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 5.41.56 PM.png

Not unknown ;)

Was on the map in 2020 and then removed... apparently Tesla has seen the light again and decided it WOULD be useful for standard range, older, and cars towing stuff to have anything between Pendleton and Dalles. It also acts as an important redundancy if Pendleton is down or Hood River/Dalles. Boardman to Baker City should be doable with some speed management in a standard range car and maybe doable towing. At ~160 miles it's more of a push for those cars to skip Hood River / Dalles if those were down for some reason, but it's less likely that BOTH would be down (as long as Dalles hangs around) and honestly still probably wouldn't leave you stranded, just really would need some speed management if it was wintertime.

Boardman is very useful

Was on the map in 2020 and then removed... apparently Tesla has seen the light again and decided it WOULD be useful for standard range, older, and cars towing stuff to have anything between Pendleton and Dalles.
It wasn't removed because Tesla stopped thinking it would be useful, it was because Tesla changed the way that they were including sites on their map at the beginning of 2021. The inclusion criteria required that the site was at or beyond some threshold of development (only Tesla knows exactly where they are drawing the line on this), and Boardman didn't qualify under the new rules. But that never meant that they weren't still working towards the location.

As a safety net for trips back from Portland to West Richland WA I purchased a Lectron CCS adapter that works with my Model 3 LR. There’s a Charge America station in Hermiston (///tips.becomes.patching) and I’ve confirmed it works with the Lectron adapter. Going the other way I plan to stop at the new Hood River Supercharger, with the option of stopping at The Dalles if I’m running short of charge to make it to Hood River.

Hopefully the official Tesla CCS adapter becomes available here in the USA soon; my Model 3 has the hardware built in to support it, and the Lectron adapter can be fiddly to get going. For example, I had to charge it via USB and upgrade its firmware earlier this week.

Greenlots/Shell has built out five 50 kW CCS stations here in Tri-Cities, and one of them is actually free! (///endpoints.sweeten.measuring). That makes it convenient to double-check the CCS adapter is working before heading out to Portland for the weekend.

Amazing!!!! I actually talked to the director of SAGE several years ago about EV charger installation (J1772). They were very interested, because it matches with their education and sustainability charter, but needed to get funding and/or approval from the board. At the time I mentioned Tesla, but really never thought it would work. Their electrical was too far from the parking lot for me to foot the bill (100+ ft trenching) and I never heard back after a couple emails and one in person discussion and walk down. Maybe they applied for the destination charging program and Tesla convinced them to upgrade to a supercharger.

Amazing!!!! I actually talked to the director of SAGE several years ago about EV charger installation (J1772). They were very interested, because it matches with their education and sustainability charter, but needed to get funding and/or approval from the board. At the time I mentioned Tesla, but really never thought it would work. Their electrical was too far from the parking lot for me to foot the bill (100+ ft trenching) and I never heard back after a couple emails and one in person discussion and walk down. Maybe they applied for the destination charging program and Tesla convinced them to upgrade to a supercharger.
No, Tesla knows they need something in between The Dalles and Pendleton/Kennewick and likely approached businesses looking for a suitable spot. They have been looking since 2020 or before.

One call ticket reads like the northeast section of the parking lot. Will be driving from CA to Walla towards the end of April so would be great if this is done. Worried about this stretch with the SR Y. Would make it much more comfortable. Work to start 3/29 according to the ticket. Be interesting to see how fast this goes in. With the curved parking lot, maybe not a good fit for the precast 4 stall expandable system.

Last edited:
Boardman, OR

Host Type: Organization
Host: Boardman Chamber of Commerce
Along Primary Interstates: I-84W
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-30
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-84W

To: Pendleton, OR - 52.4 miles
Diversion: 0.2 miles
To: Baker City, OR - 139.9 miles

US-30

To: Pendleton, OR - 52.7 miles
Diversion: 0.7 miles
To: Baker City, OR - 141.9 miles

Splitter! Splits a 134 mile gap on I-84W, 82.3 miles from The Dalles and 52.7 miles to Pendleton, OR. That is currently the joint-21st largest gap on Interstates.