Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burlington, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OH NOT HAPPY TODAY!!!!! At the Burlington Supercharger site a young man (Jared) that seen before as he said Tesla told him to tell everyone can not use charger tell after Grand Opening so I was asked to vacate, He was respectful just really wonder who made that call to not allow owners to use without posting any signed closed to public tell 18th, on other hand two day no one will turn me away again.

258A 258A 258A TYPO Oh and for a photo very poor photo but will post it, I was going to do a iPhone App screen capture today while charging (That didn't go so well)... This iphone photo shows all the HZ cycle lines, finger prints LOL on the car 17" screen sorry but a photo says a thousands words... Yes the voltage was at 404V shortly before and missed that shot I took this after seeing the mile\hr stay the same but the amperage and voltage dropped.

IMG_1048.JPG

Last edited:
OH NOT HAPPY TODAY!!!!! At the Burlington Supercharger site a young man (Jared) that seen before as he said Tesla told him to tell everyone can not use charger tell after Grand Opening so I was asked to vacate, He was respectful just really wonder who made that call to not allow owners to use without posting any signed closed to public tell 18th, on other hand two day no one will turn me away again.
So, there is an oral request to not use the chargers, but they are still operational? Is that the situation? Seems like a rather ineffective way to try to keep folks from using.

I have been planning to hit the spot tomorrow, Wednesday, and in the absence of any "official" prohibition, guess I'll proceed as planned.

The labels on the Superchargers don't seem to make any sense, and as far as I know no-one has a good explanation of what those really mean yet. They currently will go up to around 250A of output current to a car and with the upcoming 120KW update, they must be able to go up to 350-400A without any issue.

Peter

I don't think that current is possible - The label says that Maximum Output Current is 210 Amps.
You might peak slightly above that amount, but 358A would melt the cable.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23692&d=1371173943

The labels on the Superchargers don't seem to make any sense, and as far as I know no-one has a good explanation of what those really mean yet. They currently will go up to around 250A of output current to a car and with the upcoming 120KW update, they must be able to go up to 350-400A without any issue.

Peter

It doesn't need to go nearly that high. They can increase the voltage, instead, which would not require a larger cable. I noticed the superchargers in Barstow (and probably everywhere) state a max output voltage of 410 and max continuous current output is 210A (printed on the supercharge cabinet). That would be 86 kW. Assuming 410V is an absolute maximum, and 210A can be exceeded for short periods of time, you'd only need to get the current up to 292A to get 120kW.

Unfortunately because you are directly charging the batteries (rather than just trying to move power) you can't arbitrarily raise the voltage and current together. The Voltage you are seeing during charging is just a bit above the pack voltage, which is why as the car charges from empty to full you will see the voltage go up from the low 300s to the low 400s. When they raise the charge rate, you will see the current make a substantial jump, and the voltage stay nearly the same.

Peter

It doesn't need to go nearly that high. They can increase the voltage, instead, which would not require a larger cable. I noticed the superchargers in Barstow (and probably everywhere) state a max output voltage of 410 and max continuous current output is 210A (printed on the supercharge cabinet). That would be 86 kW. Assuming 410V is an absolute maximum, and 210A can be exceeded for short periods of time, you'd only need to get the current up to 292A to get 120kW.

Unfortunately because you are directly charging the batteries (rather than just trying to move power) you can't arbitrarily raise the voltage and current together. The Voltage you are seeing during charging is just a bit above the pack voltage, which is why as the car charges from empty to full you will see the voltage go up from the low 300s to the low 400s.

Right, so current only has to get up to 292A to charge at 120kW, no?

When they raise the charge rate, you will see the current make a substantial jump, and the voltage stay nearly the same.

This is the part that doesn't seem right. They have to raise the current, but not to 350-400A.

It appears the Burlington are already operating at the full 120kwh rate. "They" will not need to do any adjusting or speeding up.

Users, however, will initially see a lower rate unless:

1. They have very few miles showing when they connect, AND

2. The station that is paired with the one they connect to is NOT in use when they FIRST connect.

Once the charger has determined the status of the battery being connected, the charging rate will quickly adjust to match the battery's status. The charging rate will always begin to slow down, very gradually if the battery is nearly empty, more rapidly as the battery nears full charge. The chart on the SUPERCHARGE page of the TM site makes this very easy to understand.

It appears the Burlington are already operating at the full 120kwh rate. "They" will not need to do any adjusting or speeding up.

Not necessarily. Part of the 120kW rollout is reducing the tapering that happens at 150 miles on the 90 kWh's and only start the more aggressive tapering off at 200 miles. I don't believe any SuperCharger has this enabled yet, and it's not an easy thing to test. We need to get Cinergy over here to update his graph :).