Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger cable stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So on a small road trip through Texas today I was sitting at a supercharger topped my battery off to 90% and went to unplugged the charger it would not release. I press the button it sounded like it would release but it wouldn't. I tried opening the app and clicking unlock that didn't work either. So I open the trunk and pulled the manual release. Everything sounded audibly like it was unlocking but the charger was stuck. keep in mind this is Texas it's not exactly super cold. It was only 42 degrees. I tried wiggling I tried flexing I tried pulling really hard nothing would release the charger. An hour on the phone troubleshooting finally they said they'd send somebody out but just to know when the ETA was to even send someone was 2 to 6 hours. Now that's not until they get there that's just to know when they could start heading my way. They gave me some Uber credits and said just leave the car there and head back when you can. I'm in the middle of a Podunk town this superchargers not even on the software yet. So after tugging on it for over an hour wiggling I'm pressing the button literally trying everything I could think of I'm not sure what else to do. Anyway I'll let you guys know when something else happens or If I miraculously yank the thing out and head on my way.

So on a small road trip through Texas today I was sitting at a supercharger topped my battery off to 90% and went to unplugged the charger it would not release. I press the button it sounded like it would release but it wouldn't. I tried opening the app and clicking unlock that didn't work either. So I open the trunk and pulled the manual release. Everything sounded audibly like it was unlocking but the charger was stuck. keep in mind this is Texas it's not exactly super cold. It was only 42 degrees. I tried wiggling I tried flexing I tried pulling really hard nothing would release the charger. An hour on the phone troubleshooting finally they said they'd send somebody out but just to know when the ETA was to even send someone was 2 to 6 hours. Now that's not until they get there that's just to know when they could start heading my way. They gave me some Uber credits and said just leave the car there and head back when you can. I'm in the middle of a Podunk town this superchargers not even on the software yet. So after tugging on it for over an hour wiggling I'm pressing the button literally trying everything I could think of I'm not sure what else to do. Anyway I'll let you guys know when something else happens or If I miraculously yank the thing out and head on my way.

Have you tried pulling the manual release while also pulling on the SC handle?

push in before pulling out. The latch my be getting caught on the handle.

That, too.

Absolutely. I've tried pushing I tried pulling I've tried pushing while pressing a button I've tried pulling while pushing the button I've tried pulling after pushing the button before Etc I've been here over an hour pushing and pulling

Dang.

Have you tried to pull and hold the manual release while you push and then pull the SC handle out while pressing the release button on the handle?

Good luck!

Manual:
upload_2019-10-31_11-37-48.png

Absolutely. I've tried pushing I tried pulling I've tried pushing while pressing a button I've tried pulling while pushing the button I've tried pulling after pushing the button before Etc I've been here over an hour pushing and pulling
What color is the light around the charge port? It needs to be light blue before the plug will release. Sometimes you have to jiggle it a bit while holding the button. Which Supercharger are you at?

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
My first and only supercharging experience I noticed as soon as the latch unlocked it would almost immediately lock again. I just had to push the button and immediately pull the cable out.

The current design pretty much requires you to hold the button (continuous press) as you pull out. It used to only require a tap, then they changed the behaviour on superchargers (I even went to service center to ask about it, and they demo'd on their local supercharger station that you have to hold the button), and then eventually changed the behaviour on regular HPWC tesla chargers.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rojer Lockless
One thing that nobody mentioned, probably because it's so obvious, is to make sure the car is unlocked. The charging plug won't release if the car is locked.

Is this just as Super Chargers? I remove my charger at home all the time while the car is locked, it only has to be awake.

I can go out to the garage and try to open the door and fail, but if I push the button on the charger it will release while still locked.

Is this just as Super Chargers? I remove my charger at home all the time while the car is locked, it only has to be awake.

I can go out to the garage and try to open the door and fail, but if I push the button on the charger it will release while still locked.

Model 3?

(oops notice, you mentioned it has to be awake) First the model 3 has to be awake, as the button won't wake the car if it's asleep. So if it's asleep you either have to use the app to wake the car or open a door to wake the car.

Second pretty sure the button won't work to unlock if no key is within range (phone/fob). The exception is when cold the charger will auto unlock when charging is finished. So no need to press the button you can just yank the cable at that point.