Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Calabasas, CA - Commons Way (LIVE 12 May 2022, 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think thats the only plausible explanation.
As I have been saying for two years waiting for this Supercharger, Calabasas is a dead zone for EV chargers and has many high end car dealers. I bet they are controlling the city council/ Real Estate and blocking EVs. Locals should be yelling at the City Council for not pushing forward with EV chargers. This upscale town can do way better than this. It is our kids lives at stake. Boycott all Calabasas car dealers!

As I have been saying for two years waiting for this Supercharger, Calabasas is a dead zone for EV chargers and has many high end car dealers. I bet they are controlling the city council/ Real Estate and blocking EVs. Locals should be yelling at the City Council for not pushing forward with EV chargers. This upscale town can do way better than this. It is our kids lives at stake. Boycott all Calabasas car dealers!
The only business rep on the "Environmental Commission Subcommittee" is someone from Bob Smith BMW: https://www.cityofcalabasas.com/pdf...esentation-EVChargingStationsandCalabasas.pdf

That said, the conclusion of that report was essentially that they need more charging stations in Calabasas (executive summary, page 4 and recommendations, page 5). So I'm not sure why the city council would want to block this project.

rceldib - your post is ridiculous ... "bet they are controlling the city council/ Real Estate and blocking EVs" "Locals should be yelling at the City Council" and "Boycott all Calabasas car dealers" etc. Completely made-up baseless statements. Tesla not going forward with installing the superchargers was its own decision, and nothing to do with the City of Calabasas council. I personally had heard discussions of city council about wanting to have more ev chargers. The city issued the permit for the install at the Commons, and Tesla didn't go forward -- tesla appears to be on hold on most urban charging locations, ... Van Nuys, Simi Valley, Westwood, Beverly Hills, etc all stalled. Two or three of the car dealers are themselves installing ev chargers. And the city has actually installed, at its cost, a number of ev chargers ... I know of at least 6.

rceldib - your post is ridiculous ... "bet they are controlling the city council/ Real Estate and blocking EVs" "Locals should be yelling at the City Council" and "Boycott all Calabasas car dealers" etc. Completely made-up baseless statements. Tesla not going forward with installing the superchargers was its own decision, and nothing to do with the City of Calabasas council. I personally had heard discussions of city council about wanting to have more ev chargers. The city issued the permit for the install at the Commons, and Tesla didn't go forward -- tesla appears to be on hold on most urban charging locations, ... Van Nuys, Simi Valley, Westwood, Beverly Hills, etc all stalled. Two or three of the car dealers are themselves installing ev chargers. And the city has actually installed, at its cost, a number of ev chargers ... I know of at least 6.
Sorry. You are wrong. My son works in Calabasas and he has to leave the city to charge. I have gone to meet him at the Calabasas Commons and the are NO chargers there. Not only no Tesla. The Bob Smith dealer is on the Environmental board and I have tried to by a plug in car at Bob Smith and was basically told to pound sand. The PowerPoint charts attached above say it all “Calabasas is behind the curve in putting in chargers and maintaining existing ones” Do you drive a BEV? Why so defensive of there are few chargers in Calabasas when it is true.

• Disagree
Reactions: Watts_Up and ESoCal
Two or three of the car dealers are themselves installing ev chargers. And the city has actually installed, at its cost, a number of ev chargers ... I know of at least 6.
Sorry. You are wrong. My son works in Calabasas and he has to leave the city to charge.
I recommend you consult readily available sources, such as PlugShare (see below) that show there are multiple EV chargers in Calabasas. Could there be more? Of course. But let’s stop the bickering and stick to the facts. Thank you.

D412339A-A2F5-4B69-B339-11EE77DC656B.png

I am just wondering why I am getting so much push back from a pro EV sight. Calabasas is south of the 101. Look north of the 101 showing tons of chargers on PlugShare. Look south and nothing. The Bob Smith BMW is on the Calabasas Environmental committee that wrote the report. And yes the dealer has a charger and it has a rating of 1 on PlugShare. Do people not want to push for places to charge? I for one will boycott the Commons with all its stores and restaurants and go to Westlake, LA, and Thousand Oaks where there are plenty of chargers including Tesla Superchargers. Sorry about the rant. I am done.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I am just wondering why I am getting so much push back from a pro EV sight.
I assume that you meant “site”.

I am glad you are “done” with that topic. This thread is about whether or not Tesla will construct a Supercharger in Calabasas. As of now there are no signs of construction, though it is clear that at some point in the past Tesla did plan to build a Supercharger there. We don’t know for sure why construction did not commence. It may still happen. Contact Tesla to advocate for it if you wish. For now, the Tesla website Find Us page shows that Superchargers are planned for 2019 in Calabasas as well as Northridge and Sherman Oaks.

5E1C26A4-C83F-4543-9279-3433C83485C4.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Chuq
Sorry. You are wrong. My son works in Calabasas and he has to leave the city to charge. I have gone to meet him at the Calabasas Commons and the are NO chargers there. Not only no Tesla. The Bob Smith dealer is on the Environmental board and I have tried to by a plug in car at Bob Smith and was basically told to pound sand. The PowerPoint charts attached above say it all “Calabasas is behind the curve in putting in chargers and maintaining existing ones” Do you drive a BEV? Why so defensive of there are few chargers in Calabasas when it is true.
It's a bit far-fetched to claim, with no evidence, that both the city council and the real estate at the Commons is controlled by auto dealers, especially since Tesla had a construction permit and charging equipment on site for more than a year. Appears that it was much more likely a Tesla decision to hold off on this site.

Reactions: ESoCal
Beyond a "a bit far-fetched" ... made up and contradictory baseless statements.

One, contrary to the completely false statement that the "son has to leave the city to charge", there are numerous chargers in Calabasas, as the report shows. In fact, the City, on its own dime, installed several -- 2 outside the Library/City Hall which is adjacent to the Commons near the movie theater (many park in the City hall lot to go to the Commons when its crowded - connected by a path), and installed 3 in the free park and ride lot it built a couple years ago on Calabasas road. There are also chargers 3 at Gelsons, 2 at El Camino shopping center on Valley Circle, 2 at Viewpoint High School, 1 at Lost Hills Sheriff Station in Calabasas, 2 (at BMW (3, but only 2 publicly available), and Audi has installed or is installing chargers at its dealership too. Have to leave the city to charge? Hmm.

Two, the city does not even own or control the Commons - it is a privately owned shopping center owned my Caruso development ... same that owns the Westlake Promenade and installed superchargers there. Yet, the City issued permits and approved installation at the Commons of a dozen superchargers per the request of Caruso and Tesla ... but Tesla didn't go forward (at least yet - as it hasn't on many others in the valley and westside that the target date keeps changing on ... maybe Tesla cash flow/earning issue? unknown).

Three, out of 11 people on the City Council advanced commission (many who own EVs), there was 1 business representative of a dealership (that has electric cars) on the commission to study adding more EV chargers in Calabasas, and which promoted and recommended more be added, and BMW stated they'd help subsidize some in the report)and they recommended ...
1. Additional City efforts to put up more EV stations (accessible to as many types of EVs as possible) in public centers such as city parks, etc.
2. Additional efforts be made to encourage local businesses (including strip mall and office building owners) and LVUSD to put up more EV stations on their locations.
5. Efforts be made to collaborate with local businesses to sponsor EV units (i.e. Bob Smith and others at the forum said that they would help subsidize the cost of units, etc.),

Just tired of people making things up and baselessly blaming others. "Just the facts maam, just the facts."

Possibly they were able to use the equipment that was there at another already-permitted SuperCharger site, and will be able to redesign this SC to be a more modern one since their permit expired. Of course, that theory seems bad since it's probably easier to reapply for an already approved permit. But it's one possibility.

I see that the Calabasas supercharger in now back on the futures list; estimated for 2019 “although location and timing may change”.

This has been an on and off again potential location. Promised by end of 2017; and then end of 2018; with Tesla equipment boxes stored behind theCalabasas Commons shopping center for two years. Earlier this year the equipment boxes disappeared and Calabasas was no longer on the “future” map.

Now it’s back on the list. what gives?

It’s now back on the list, for 2019 “ although timing and location could change”
What do you mean, "back on the list"? What list? If you mean Tesla's map, it's never been off of the map, so I'm not sure what you mean by "back on". The "2019" target date was changed from 2018 when all the other locations that didn't make it into operation last year were also changed (IIRC, in late December).

Yes on what ecarfan wrote, and mociaf9 ... Calabasas has continually been on the list as anticipated since 2017, with the season and or year continually updated when the date comes and goes. At one point it listed as coming 2017, then Summer 2018, changed to Fall 2018, to "Target Opening by end of 2018", then to "Target opening in 2019". Attached is a screen grab I took on 12-30-2017.

When I ordered my second MS in Oct 2018, it listed target as "2018", and after the new year to 2019. Same/similar thing happened to Simi Valley, Encino, Beverly Hills, Santa Barbara, Studio City, Pacific Palisades listings, and many others in SoCal ... but Calabasas predated most of those as on th elist. Calabasas was originally added to the list the same time as Westlake Village. When the workers were actually installing the superchargers in Westlake Village, we spoke to the construction manager on site who said they were scheduled to do Thousand Oaks next, than Calabasas ... but never happened, obviously. It's like all SoCal urban locations were scrapped ... maybe due to company cash flow and seeking to pump up revenue earnings vs spending reports.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 9.54.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 9.54.21 AM.png
    135.6 KB · Views: 67