Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlsbad, CA (7710 El Camino Real, LIVE 27 Sep 2018, 26 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is how it looked an hour ago. It looks like they are making good progress. :)
20180525_182438.jpg
20180525_182459.jpg
20180525_182511.jpg
20180525_182533.jpg
20180525_182623.jpg
20180525_182704.jpg
20180525_182734.jpg
20180525_182840.jpg
20180525_182937.jpg
20180525_182438.jpg
20180525_182459.jpg
20180525_182511.jpg

Based on the pictures provided by Moonlight, what is the consensus of members regarding what is being built here? It appears to me that they are building retaining walls in this portion of the lot. When the crew placed the initial two I-beams I figured they were building a roof to cover the chargers, perhaps with solar panels...now?

No solar as per the project manager. I have no clue what they are doing there with I beams. Normally, I would guess they are going to put wood boards between those beams to make an enclosure (you don’t want a roof there if the SC cabinets will be located there, you need lots of venting). But there is lots of dirt there still. Maybe they just haven’t gotten around to removing the dirt.

My guess of the layout. As you approach the entrance, there will be the Sdge transformer and the three switch gear cabinets on the left. On the right, where the ibeams are, will be the SC cabinets (10 of them with room for three more).

We will be there at the end of July and the first of August. Do you think this will be up and running by then. We are coming from Sacramento. My niece is getting married on the military base. The charging is far and few between.
My Ouija Board says, "Carlsbad? Hope so, but good luck!"

Which military base? If the wedding is at Camp Pendleton, north of Oceanside, then charge at San Clemente (21 stalls). If at one of the Navy bases or the Marine Corps Recruit Depot use San Diego (12 stalls) or San Diego Downtown, which will be open soon (16 stalls).

My Ouija Board says, "Carlsbad? Hope so, but good luck!"

Which military base? If the wedding is at Camp Pendleton, north of Oceanside, then charge at San Clemente (21 stalls). If at one of the Navy bases or the Marine Corps Recruit Depot use San Diego (12 stalls) or San Diego Downtown, which will be open soon (16 stalls).

Additionally, Plugshare says there are a couple of CHAdeMO stations in Oceanside, which should work for an S or X if you can get your hands on the adapter (but not a 3, last I heard).

Phyllis, I do not think you will need anything other than the Superchargers. Just top off on the last Supercharger before arriving, then while you are here you can either plug in overnight wherever you are staying, or head up to San Clemente to recharge if you think you need it before heading home.

It's $450 to purchase from Tesla. But you can rent one for $39/week here:

CHAdeMo charging for Tesla - Adapter, Rent by the week
Thank you. I had no idea you could rent one. Thanks. That might be a good idea to just see if we will need it.

We are planning a trip across Canada next year. Our 50th wedding anniversary. We are watching those superchargers go across the highway. Renting on of those might be good. Thanks.

Phyllis, I do not think you will need anything other than the Superchargers. Just top off on the last Supercharger before arriving, then while you are here you can either plug in overnight wherever you are staying, or head up to San Clemente to recharge if you think you need it before heading home.
Thanks. We are staying at a hotel that has no destination charger,but all the other wedding guests are staying there. We are not afraid. I wish all hotels had the chargers but that is in the future. Thank you for your information. It is helpful. However,if that Carlsbad super is up and running, all the better. Thank you for the info.