TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Chico (LIVE 18 Jun 2019, 14 Stalls)

Discussion in 'California Supercharger locations' started by Blup85, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Shauns3

Shauns3 Member

Did this open this week?

2. Blup85

Blup85 Member

Drove by today and all the superchargers are still taped up so unfortunately, no.

• Informative x 1
  3. Blup85

Blup85 Member

Finally someone other than me is wrong about a turn on date estimate!

• Funny x 2
  4. 5170304

5170304 Member

I was by there this morning. A couple of things. There are two Charge Point chargers with two connections each mixed in with the superchargers so this is a shared charging area. Maybe that is normal (I'm new and have only charged at a supercharger once so not sure what normal is). Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to me like this location will be opening soon. I attached a photo of the unfinished utility vault. It looks like the transformer is there and hooked up to the chargers but the tie in to the underground high voltage lines is not done and really not even hardly started. You can't see it in the picture but there are large conduits coming out of that vault that extend about 6 feet on either side of the vault and then are unconnected to anything. I assume the high voltage lines that run beside this vault need to be cut, run inside the vault and a splice connection made that also ties into the transformer. I would imagine that requires turning off power to the area while that happens and would involve PG&E. That may be happening tomorrow or it might be happening in August. I say August because the local experience with PG&E in the area is not good of late. The Camp Fire has put them very behind. A friend of mine waited for a couple months to get a meter set on an irrigation pump and we have been trying to get a new 1600 amp service installed at our business and saying PG&E is unresponsive would be an understatement. Hope for the best but I wouldn't plan a trip around this supercharger in the near future. Obviously, I couldn't see everything at or inside the vault. Maybe there are already high voltage wires run into the vault that I couldn't see. If so this site could open soon.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 2
  5. Doomsby

Doomsby New Member

When I talked to them last week they said they were just waiting for PG&E so that kind of confirms what you are saying. I guess we have to just wait now and hope they do it soon.

6. Normandlisa

Normandlisa Member

20190606_134020.jpg

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. Normandlisa

Normandlisa Member

Chico is done, not turned on yet? Nice

8. Shauns3

Shauns3 Member

Thank you for the info. I'm planning a road trip from SoCal to Lake Almanor. It would be really helpful if the Chico chargers where up and running. :(

9. Blup85

Blup85 Member

Checking my local Supercharger list on the hour...
    Am I the only one doing this? Haha

Screenshot_20190606-170802_Tesla.jpg tenor.gif

• Funny x 2
  10. Blup85

Blup85 Member

Awesome! Where are you staying? We have a place on the east side off of Big Springs Rd . Almanor is a great Norcal gem.

11. Shauns3

Shauns3 Member

My wife's family has a place at the Lake Almanor Country Club.

The reason I'm asking about the supercharger is because the house doesn't have a 14-50 so I'm going to have to charge up with 5-15. I'd like to top off at Chico before we get to Almanor.

12. Blup85

Blup85 Member

Very nice!
    The Chico Supercharger will be the gateway to Lassen from the south. I'm guessing that's the reason for the 18 chargers planned there. Susanville should be along soon as well hopefully.

13. mortonch

mortonch Member

Just checked and the chargers are not live yet. It looks as though everything is installed and waiting. Even the ChargePoint charger isn't active yet.

I can't tell the version but I took a picture of the sticker in case that helps.

IMG_20190608_184648.jpg IMG_20190608_184809.jpg IMG_20190608_184818.jpg

• Like x 1
  14. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Probably just waiting for final inspection by either PG&E or City of Chico staff, hopefully soon! :D

15. gilscales

gilscales Active Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that all future superchargers were going to be V3 unless they are the urban type.

16. GHammer

GHammer What a long strange trip its been.

Consider yourself corrected. None of the currently under construction Superchargers are V3

• Informative x 1
  17. gilscales

gilscales Active Member

Well then "I stand corrected" (I always wondered about that saying.....? why am I standing...? am I in the military and at attention...? hmmmm...?) I thought that at one time Elon said that all of the future SC's would be V3 but I did just see something about prioritizing long distance travel routes, maybe it was just wishful thinking on my part, at any rate (there is another one, obviously the rate matters!) probably will not see a cross country trip on V3 for this summers trip if im lucky enough to get away.

Tesla Supercharger V3 rollout will prioritize long-distance routes, says Elon Musk

18. EVCarGUy

EVCarGUy Member

Just because Elon says something doesn't mean it's going to happen

• Like x 1
  19. Kuhz

Kuhz Active Member

Not completely true. It will happen. Just a matter of WHEN :D

• Like x 1
  20. gilscales

gilscales Active Member

WHAT! you mean not everything Elon says is true? why I am astonished, amazed, astounded, bewildered, dumbfounded, confounded, stupefied, unsettled, taken aback and dare I say flabbergasted!

• Funny x 2