Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Chico, CA (LIVE 18 Jun 2019, expanded 2021, 18 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was by there this morning. A couple of things. There are two Charge Point chargers with two connections each mixed in with the superchargers so this is a shared charging area. Maybe that is normal (I'm new and have only charged at a supercharger once so not sure what normal is). Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to me like this location will be opening soon. I attached a photo of the unfinished utility vault. It looks like the transformer is there and hooked up to the chargers but the tie in to the underground high voltage lines is not done and really not even hardly started. You can't see it in the picture but there are large conduits coming out of that vault that extend about 6 feet on either side of the vault and then are unconnected to anything. I assume the high voltage lines that run beside this vault need to be cut, run inside the vault and a splice connection made that also ties into the transformer. I would imagine that requires turning off power to the area while that happens and would involve PG&E. That may be happening tomorrow or it might be happening in August. I say August because the local experience with PG&E in the area is not good of late. The Camp Fire has put them very behind. A friend of mine waited for a couple months to get a meter set on an irrigation pump and we have been trying to get a new 1600 amp service installed at our business and saying PG&E is unresponsive would be an understatement. Hope for the best but I wouldn't plan a trip around this supercharger in the near future. Obviously, I couldn't see everything at or inside the vault. Maybe there are already high voltage wires run into the vault that I couldn't see. If so this site could open soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0059.JPG
    IMG_0059.JPG
    606.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0060.JPG
    IMG_0060.JPG
    898.3 KB · Views: 89
I was by there this morning. A couple of things. There are two Charge Point chargers with two connections each mixed in with the superchargers so this is a shared charging area. Maybe that is normal (I'm new and have only charged at a supercharger once so not sure what normal is). Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to me like this location will be opening soon. I attached a photo of the unfinished utility vault. It looks like the transformer is there and hooked up to the chargers but the tie in to the underground high voltage lines is not done and really not even hardly started. You can't see it in the picture but there are large conduits coming out of that vault that extend about 6 feet on either side of the vault and then are unconnected to anything. I assume the high voltage lines that run beside this vault need to be cut, run inside the vault and a splice connection made that also ties into the transformer. I would imagine that requires turning off power to the area while that happens and would involve PG&E. That may be happening tomorrow or it might be happening in August. I say August because the local experience with PG&E in the area is not good of late. The Camp Fire has put them very behind. A friend of mine waited for a couple months to get a meter set on an irrigation pump and we have been trying to get a new 1600 amp service installed at our business and saying PG&E is unresponsive would be an understatement. Hope for the best but I wouldn't plan a trip around this supercharger in the near future. Obviously, I couldn't see everything at or inside the vault. Maybe there are already high voltage wires run into the vault that I couldn't see. If so this site could open soon.
Thank you for the info. I'm planning a road trip from SoCal to Lake Almanor. It would be really helpful if the Chico chargers where up and running. :(

My wife's family has a place at the Lake Almanor Country Club.

The reason I'm asking about the supercharger is because the house doesn't have a 14-50 so I'm going to have to charge up with 5-15. I'd like to top off at Chico before we get to Almanor.

My wife's family has a place at the Lake Almanor Country Club.

The reason I'm asking about the supercharger is because the house doesn't have a 14-50 so I'm going to have to charge up with 5-15. I'd like to top off at Chico before we get to Almanor.

Very nice!
The Chico Supercharger will be the gateway to Lassen from the south. I'm guessing that's the reason for the 18 chargers planned there. Susanville should be along soon as well hopefully.

Consider yourself corrected. None of the currently under construction Superchargers are V3
Well then "I stand corrected" (I always wondered about that saying.....? why am I standing...? am I in the military and at attention...? hmmmm...?) I thought that at one time Elon said that all of the future SC's would be V3 but I did just see something about prioritizing long distance travel routes, maybe it was just wishful thinking on my part, at any rate (there is another one, obviously the rate matters!) probably will not see a cross country trip on V3 for this summers trip if im lucky enough to get away.

Tesla Supercharger V3 rollout will prioritize long-distance routes, says Elon Musk