Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - College Station, TX - Texas Avenue South

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the power lines are underground in the HEB lots, there are no overhead lines. Nearest pole is on adjacent properties.

The Tesla Controller box antenna is a Numb, not a dish.. no Starlink terminals in sight. The HEB Fuel Lot Gas pump area had a sat dish before the Tesla construction even had a building permit.. so its completely unrelated. Most HEB stores have satellite to feed their cash registers and corporate store networks.

The Tesla controller terminal is likely a minimal LTE connection for basic transactions.

This is a bare bones site, not a lot of extra room or opportunity to project a large Tesla presence, its likely a demo of how unintrusive they can be in partnering with HEB corporate activities.. HEB has vast reach in Texas.. many existing locations.. very cookie cutter.

The available space is very tight, really not a lot of turn radius.. trailers would be very difficult to hook up to a charging terminal.. and there are no multi-format terminals for Chademo or CCS1. From what I've heard or seen Tesla is staging a "petting zoo" of one or two charging spaces for other EV's or experimenting with "Adapters" to hookup to normal Tesla NACS chargers. But there is no sign of that at this location.. its all the Goodness of Tesla Supercharging and none of the confusing nonsense.
@jwillis84 Look at post #27 on the Katy Supercharger that just opened and you'll notice the picture of the utility pole which feed the transformer. The next step is for the utility company to energize the transformer and they do this by inserting the inline fuses at the overhead utility pole, once done the meter will display a reading. I'll look at you earlier videos to determine which director the conduits feeding the transformer run, because they will run to a utility pole in the Right of Way.

@jwillis84 Look at post #27 on the Katy Supercharger that just opened and you'll notice the picture of the utility pole which feed the transformer. The next step is for the utility company to energize the transformer and they do this by inserting the inline fuses at the overhead utility pole, once done the meter will display a reading. I'll look at you earlier videos to determine which director the conduits feeding the transformer run, because they will run to a utility pole in the Right of Way.
Now that I see the trenching in post #262 video at 2:32 it appears they are running power thru the existing transformer by the dumpster corral to the newly installed transformer feeding the supercharger cabinets. You are correct in that there will be no visible way to determine the new transformer is energized beside looking at the meter display. Very interesting way of routing the feeders.

Reactions: brkaus
I think brkaus suggested watching the manhole cover on the far side of the greenry for signs of disturbance. I could have tripped over the thing since the first time I walked over there I never noticed it. Its got dirt and caked on mud and stuff like someone stomped it closed with their muddy boot to close it.

But rather than do that.. once the transformer arrived and I learned the behavior of the other meters in the area.. i've seized on that as a much easier way to tell.

I do not expect to be the first person to report when its online.

There seems to be too much quiet foot traffic checking the chargers out and testing them like Trevor did by backing his car in and just hooking up. Testing by unhooking a charging cable and pressing the 'open the pod bay doors' HAL thing, does light up the button at other superchargers I've been too.. so that should be a clever way to tell without backing in.. but it could be the supercharger won't do that unless your car is there. So Trevor was probably more correct about how to test.

People are just curious, darn interested and expending time.. walking around and looking at them. I don't aim my phone camera right at them.. i think that would be rude. But I half thought there would be lack of interest based on conversations in this Forum thread.

I'm hoping the charge traffic will convince Tesla this area needs more Superchargers. If this is a model, there are five other location just like it very close in the two Cities, Bryan and College Station. - This is the Tirangle heart of Texas between Austin, Dallas and Houston.. its a nice conveient weighpoint as well as a destination for a lot of traffic. The alternative direct routes that have like three or more Superchargers are kind of long boring drives. There is a mutual benefit thing for Tesla, Travelers and Locals if they beefed up the Supercharger numbers in this area.. which extends to the surrounding MegaCities. I'm pretty sure that will happen on its own, but this will capture peoples attention when they're young high school or college students and in my opinion drive adoption rates and conversion over to EVs sooner than later. - its easy to normalize it for people when they've been on long drives with Mon and Dad or driven a Tesla without problems Supercharging in those early college years.

1.JPG

Nothing like the 250 kW Superchargers, that was about a 50% charge in about 20 minutes. Far far faster than at the 50 kW CCS1 Fast Charger I have been using.

Of course it throttles back nearing 85% but it takes off like a rocket, ramping quickly. As fast as these charge I don't think there will be congestion as long as people realize you can't really walk all that far before your phone beeps warning you of impending idle fees.

From this recent experience however.. notice how far away from the white bumper on the ground I stopped.. those Big Red pillars in front of the Superchargers are very close on either side of the car. And the geometry of the backing camera doesn't give you good visibility to them.. so stop far away, further than you think you should, before you run into them the first time.

Last edited:
Hallelujah! It only took 305 posts on this thread before we got it going. Nice job, everyone. I was hoping that was fewer posts than the Lubbock SC, so I went and checked the Lubbock thread and it was first declared up and running on ........wait for it......... post #305. Coincidence? Of course not! So, if you're desperately waiting for a particular SC, spam that thread until it gets up to 304, then dive to it and plug in.

Another tidbit of information.

Tesla Page for Superchargers still does not show this site as online.

Still says 'Coming soon in 2023' and Navigation info in my Tesla has not updated yet to show it as a possible destination, so no 'Pre-Conditioning Battery' option available yet.

Supercharge.info, Twitter and TeslaMotorsClub have all updated to indicate its online almost as soon as I got there.

I was not necessarily the first, its raining hard today and when I pulled in and decided to try it. I did a drive by first near the transformer without getting out and could see the Meter was flashing between bits of info.. so I got out and could hear the Transformer humming like it was working hard.

But there were no cars currently charging.. I was already soaked thru and thru and figured 'what the heck' lets see if the Tesla Cabinets are online yet.. so I back in my car and hopped out and swiped the plug and shoved it into the port.. in one motion I pressed the HAL button.. and the pod bay door opened just in the nick of time to prevent me from shoving it into the docking cover.. and boom.. slid right in like a glove. And the green Tesla light started pulsing almost immediately.

The green Tesla pulse was what I was hoping showed up in the Photo.. but it looks like the daylight washed it out..

About a minute later a red Tesla backed in a few stalls down from me closer to the Tesla cabinets.. so I guess they watch this forum or knew about it through some other means.

• Love
Reactions: Electroman
Does it show up in your app? I think you can send it to the car this way, but I'm not sure if it will pre-condition

It does not.. but my Tesla app now says there is an update for the app.. so I'm installing the Tesla app update now.

Nopeity Nope.. even with the latest Tesla app update.. its still not showing as online.

I guess this news is fairly fresh.

• Informative
Reactions: Guacahummus
Learned many things in last couple of days.

First the stall closest to the Tesla Controller Cabinets is for "Disabled user vehicles' only.

Its only one stall, but instead of the red Tesla sign, there is a handicapped sign.. it looked so uniform like the others I missed it late at night and had to move mid-charge.

That stall also has an unusual hand grip or cable splice.. I'm not sure which.. and it seemed to restrict its charging rate to something less than 50 kW max. per hour.

Next

While my Tesla iPhone app updated and shows this as a legitimate destination, my Tesla has not.. my vehicle is not on WiFi often, but so far sending the site thru the app to the vehicle produces an endless loop that never completes a navigation solution.. and searching for it on the Vehicle screen does not show it as live or available. Coincidentally.. my last two charges aren't showing up as paid charging sessions.. they are zero.. so Brkaus maybe right in that it may be in some sort of Twilight Zone status as a soft opening and some kinks are still being worked out

But, I also don't have the latest software update.

I live in an apartment complex and extending WiFi into the parking lot is a complicated dance.. I dangle the WiFi router on my balcony and park close enough to the balcony to get a signal. I don't do that often.. but will do it this weekend.. perhaps that carries the Site updates. Most of the maps data comes over LTE.. so I had until now assumed the Supercharger site locations would get updated over the app or LTE.. it looks like that depends on the Tesla WiFi Software updates.. or the site is a 'soft open'

Next

I was confused about that College Station, Tx - Texas Avenue South, address as well.

I haven't seen anything new regarding the (1) old Texas and University proposed site (2) on campus Polo Rd site (3) Century Square site

In fact since the current HEB Fuel lot location has come online, those other three appear to have disappeared in the Tesla online information and leaks; I think they were "possible, hopeful, aspirational" sites that may have even progressed to a degree, but then fell thru.. my 'total guess' is that they will not materialize.

For all my griping about the flood curves and mud traps.. this was a rather quick and seamless install that co-partnered and shared the existing real estate allocated to an HEB Fuel lot. This location is one of six in the general area.. four other HEB Fuel Lot locations are much closer to major highways around four by-passes around town. This one is almost at the center of town.. not far from City Hall. - if this one works out.. and so far it has.. those other five HEB Fuel Lot locations may be more likely destinations.

And lastly, rather non-intuitively ..the farthest Supercharging stalls seem to ramp up to very high charge rates and charge the fastest. I didn't think there was a difference between the stalls.. you wouldn't think so to look at them. But even when there are no other cars.. the farthest from the cabinets charges the fastest.

And lastly last, I went out around the time the majority of the HEB Fuel lot shuts down for the night and turns off the overhead parking lot lights. These Tesla stalls have rear projection lighting so you can see them clearly in the dark glowing bright red. And the Superchargers are not turned out for the night they truly are 24/7 available.

So far.. perhaps not everyone has a software update that allows navigating to them, there seems a constant flow of users.. but its no where near congested or busy all the time.. there are usually some free slots open.. and they are 250 kW Superchargers.. so they are Super Super chargers.. not only are they slim and extremely easy to use compared to EvGo, EVConnect or Electrify America.. but they are also premium Superchargers even amongst Tesla's fleet of Supercharger locations.

And a thought; you can't Pre-condition the Battery yet since it doesn't show up as a Supercharger destination in the Vehicle; when it does, the effective charge rate for every vehicle will get yet another speed bump, since the battery will be preconditioned.. reducing charge times even further.

Last edited:
Not sure those handicapped spots are 'legal', so if all the others were in use, I would still charge there...but obviously should be courteous otherwise. It will show up in the nav when Telsa adds it, should not take a vehicle software update. The Southpark meadows and Bastrop ones both just showed up without any sort of vehicle update for me when they came online.