Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger congestion problem ideas.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... Future Chevrolet's charging at Tesla SC's will just overload the system even more. ...
I am mostly a home charger and will be onto my next S in 3 years before NY has these issues. I guess I will just enjoy it while it lasts :)

You do know that ALL ev owners are "mostly a home charger" right? Over 90% of the kWh's come from home or work.

The typical Volt user has never used a remote charger unless there is one at work. Don't expect the Bolt to be different, because the Spark with only 84mi of range is the same.

People do not understand how many apartments and condos there are in urban areas. Many don't even allow 120v charging. Luckily, these folk seldom buy BEVs. But they are your biggest threat, not existing cars that aren't using remote charging to begin with.

It will the falling prices of BEV's that will allow more apartment and condo dwellers to enter the BEV market, and that is your biggest worry.

You do know that ALL ev owners are "mostly a home charger" right? Over 90% of the kWh's come from home or work.

Not true. I see you are from Ca. but some of your fellow statesman complain of the SC's being used for daily charging by those same apt. and condo dwellers you mention. Add in the ones who just love anything free and will SC to save $3.00.
I myself have used my local SC after a long trip because I still planned on driving for the rest of the day and did not want to wait for my slower home charger. There are many variables and I just hope Tesla and crew stay on top of the charging details. The big automakers will have to spend some of their profits if they want to compete. At this point they seem unconcerned

And I do not see Tesla having a call center to handle such disputes over these putative fines for staying too long.
If they go with the prepaid KwH plan as suspected they are going to have to have at least a small call center to handle the calls for that so having it also handle complaints for idling charged would make sense. And, hopefully, the longer it is implemented the more people will adjust their behavior and reduce their idle time.

You are thinking backwards. The carrot works better than the stick.

Every week you DON'T use Superchargers, you get $20 MuskBucks. Up to $750 a year.

MuskBucks can be used at the Tesla Service Center, Parts, or car purchases.
Never happen - it goes against all their goals of getting people to use BEVs for all their driving. You're going to give someone $20 off their next service call if they don't take the family on vacation? Or for taking their family on vacation in an ICE? What about all the people that have to use the SC network for work, they get penalized for doing their jobs?

People do not understand how many apartments and condos there are in urban areas. Many don't even allow 120v charging. Luckily, these folk seldom buy BEVs. But they are your biggest threat, not existing cars that aren't using remote charging to begin with.
Every condo has electricity to the building. Same with apartment buildings. You just have to work harder to get that electricity to your parking spot. Here is an example of what can be done when you try.
Condo Charging - Minimal cost installation and some questions

• Disagree
Reactions: TaoJones
Daily, monthly or yearly passes will probably work a lot better with blackout dates during heavy travel days. Charging in minute increments is silly IMO

Tesla should also buy back access from existing owners. I know a lot of owners who rarely use Supercharging access and would probably downgrade to limited access for free maintenance or some other intrinsic perk.

Daily, monthly or yearly passes will probably work a lot better with blackout dates during heavy travel days. Charging in minute increments is silly IMO
No, then your not charging it based on actual usage. If I'm going on vacation for a week and get a week pass but only use it once or twice I'm not getting very good value as compared to the family that uses it every day for their vacation.

Tesla should also buy back access from existing owners. I know a lot of owners who rarely use Supercharging access and would probably downgrade to limited access for free maintenance or some other intrinsic perk.
I don't see that happening either, that would be Tesla just giving away money.

Maybe the "valets" can start doing a survey asking people why they are charging.

1. Out of town?
2. No place to charge at home?
3. Don't want to charge at home?
4. Place to park and leave all day while you work?
5. Etc.

Then Tesla can manage the issue.

A standard saying in engineering is "You can't design for the thousand year flood". There's always going to be some congestion at the busiest ones in just the same way that there are some gas stations with long wait times--and gas stations have been around for over a century compared to four years for Superchargers. When I purchased my Model S, there were two or three Supercharger locations and they were 2,800 km away. Now there are almost three hundred (not counting the ones serving our friends overseas). That's close to one hundred per year. While it's frustrating to wait for ones to be placed exactly where you want them or added to relieve congestion, to me it appears that Tesla implementing them as fast as it's possible to do without unlimited funding.

Obviously if one of you folks who's richer than I am said "Hey, Tesla, here's $8B. Build 15,000 Supercharger sites during the next eighteen months", that would be doable. But I'm guessing there won't be any takers on this. (BTW that works out to about $4B for SCs and $3B for campaign contributions, and $1B for administrative and misc. expenses.)

• Funny
Reactions: Jason S and KJD
No, then your not charging it based on actual usage. If I'm going on vacation for a week and get a week pass but only use it once or twice I'm not getting very good value as compared to the family that uses it every day for their vacation.

That would depend on the price. If you only use it once or twice the daily pass may be a better purchase. Paying per charge or kWH is a recipe for costs becoming insane i.e. 70kWh x2 @ .10 a kWh would be more expensive than a 10 dollar daily pass.

I don't see that happening either, that would be Tesla just giving away money.

Just like their $1000 dollar referrals?

Every condo has electricity to the building. Same with apartment buildings. You just have to work harder to get that electricity to your parking spot. Here is an example of what can be done when you try.
Condo Charging - Minimal cost installation and some questions

Cherry picking and myopia does not prove rules. And the rule today is that most multi-family housing management needs a swift kick in the keyster to get in board the EV train. And that's just the subset of properties that don't have significant impediments/reasons to say no. And there are of course significant reasons and impediments at some properties, At many others, there are not.

Fortunately, between greater awareness, incentives, and municipal enforcement of updated code, in time an EV-friendly property will enjoy a competitive advantage.

Today, it's hit or miss and a lot harder than it needs to be. This will change. Optimistically it will take less than a generation.

You are thinking backwards. The carrot works better than the stick.

Every week you DON'T use Superchargers, you get $20 MuskBucks. Up to $750 a year.

MuskBucks can be used at the Tesla Service Center, Parts, or car purchases.

As long as the MuskBucks carry over from one ElonYear to the next, I'm totally cool with this.

RT

For what it's worth, the ChargePoint stations at work instituted a $10/hr "parking fee" if you stayed there beyond the 4 hour free-charging time limit. The fee was prorated, so something like 17 cents per minute. That worked pretty well in preventing folks from just sitting there, but then someone figured out that if they used their smart phone app to stop the charging, it would also stop the clock on the parking timer. Now they're changing the signage marking the stalls as "For EV Charging Only" instead of "For EV Parking Only" (as if that will help).

Then I retired, so I don't know how the story will end, but peer pressure seemed to be the most promising. Simple education, pointing out that there were only so many chargers, and way more than that number EVs, one of them owned by a really dedicated guy who used more than 50% of his range just getting to the office.

So, let's not call the overage a "fine", when assessing a "fee" will tangibly convey the same message that occupying the space is not with out a cost, but without adding a stigma to it. Educate the folks who seem to be using more than most in terms of usage, and engage in a dialog as to why they are doing that. You might learn something that could make the overall EV universe better.

• Disagree
Reactions: RobertF and KJD