Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cornwall, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was great to meet everyone, this morning, at the Cornwall unofficial grand opening !
IMG_4342.JPG

Delighted about Cornwall! Will go there from T-O when another SC station is in place between the two.

I put figures from my second experience at the T-O SCs in the Canadian Supercharger thread. Meanwhile, 188 Wh/km seems the rated figure, all right . . . until you realize it's also 185. The projected km and the rated km (I use the last 50 km for reference) are the same at about 185, or somewhere between 185 and 186. Anyone explain this, in view of the fixed line at 188 in Energy Consumption?

The way I (and others) measure the consumption for Rated Range is to notice when the "actual driving" dashed line is one pixel above the solid Rated line, then exactly on top of it (shows as a single solid line), then one pixel below. For Rated Range, it seemed clear: 189 above, 188 on, 187 below. For Ideal Range, using the same method, I got 165 above, 164 on and 163 below, but also got a couple of overlaps, like 165 and 163 on the line. After watching it for a while, it seemed that 164 was the closest to the line.

Having said this, I think Tesla has tinkered with the range calculations a few times, so these numbers might vary between firmware versions. I'm on 5.9.

You probably know this, but Projected Range on the right side of the energy app (with Average selected) is the range you would get if you consume energy like you have been for the past X km (10, 25 or 50). Looking at the range in km to compare projected and rated (or ideal) is less precise than looking at when the lines coincide, I think. I've heard that the range on the dashboard doesn't always change one km at a time, so it might be plus or minus a couple of km.

The way I (and others) measure the consumption for Rated Range is to notice when the "actual driving" dashed line is one pixel above the solid Rated line, then exactly on top of it (shows as a single solid line), then one pixel below. For Rated Range, it seemed clear: 189 above, 188 on, 187 below. For Ideal Range, using the same method, I got 165 above, 164 on and 163 below, but also got a couple of overlaps, like 165 and 163 on the line. After watching it for a while, it seemed that 164 was the closest to the line.

Having said this, I think Tesla has tinkered with the range calculations a few times, so these numbers might vary between firmware versions. I'm on 5.9.

You probably know this, but Projected Range on the right side of the energy app (with Average selected) is the range you would get if you consume energy like you have been for the past X km (10, 25 or 50). Looking at the range in km to compare projected and rated (or ideal) is less precise than looking at when the lines coincide, I think. I've heard that the range on the dashboard doesn't always change one km at a time, so it might be plus or minus a couple of km.

Actually, I re-confirm that the Rated Range exactitute is based on 185 Wh/km and not 188 Wh/km... (as mentioned earlier in this thread)

I saw again tonight that the rated line is at 188 Wh/km for me on 5.9. How are you calculating or measuring the 185, DM?

On 5.9 also...

1) calculating my starting rated range + the km driven... when it comes to 185 (more or less) it's exactly the rated range promised at the beginning...
2) I have a confirmation also when using the «average consumption» (either using the last 10 km, 25 km or 50) and when the estimated range is the same as the Rated Range at that very moment, the Wh/km showed is 185 Wh/km (to be more precise it's between 184 Wh/km and 185)

I find the "equality" number to be between 184 and 186, usually a little higher than 185. Besides insufficient significant digits and an unknown rounding routine, there are peculiarities in the instrumentation which may involve observable differences between descending to around 185 and ascending to it. Still, that number isn't 188, where the fixed line is. Again, why are there two such numbers?

I find the "equality" number to be between 184 and 186, usually a little higher than 185. Besides insufficient significant digits and an unknown rounding routine, there are peculiarities in the instrumentation which may involve observable differences between descending to around 185 and ascending to it. Still, that number isn't 188, where the fixed line is. Again, why are there two such numbers?

One theory that's been discussed previously is that there are two numbers: one reflects how many Wh you need to consume to make the display tick down by 1 km while you are driving, and another (slightly smaller) that reflects the total available Wh capacity of the battery divided by the official rated range: the difference being there to ensure that the range counts down to zero before the car grinds to a halt - the infamous "miles below zero".

Various people demonstrated this to be fairly clearly true in some earlier software revisions; I don't know whether it is still true now or what the latest numbers are now.

My belief is that the "miles below zero" aren't there to deliberately give you a secret reserve, but rather to make allowance for the uncertainty in the remaining range calculation. Ideally, the remaining range would count down smoothly and tick to zero just as the car stops, but the limited accuracy of battery measurements means that is impossible to achieve. It seems that Tesla have decided that rather than having the range leap around unpredictably, they have decided to guarantee that 10km shown on the dial will always give you 10km (or as much as 10km of rated range usually gives you in the current conditions), making sure that any 'surprise' due to inaccuracy is always a positive one. To achieve this, they need to take away the displayed range assuming the worst case for all the factors in their calculation rather than the typical case.

Each new software release seems to have new tweaks to this algorithm, so the safety margin between the two numbers may be reducing as they get cleverer at making the remaining range calculation more accurate.

Kingston would be appropriate as Elon studied at Queen's University for a few years. His mother Maye was born there ("Mayebe") and worked in Toronto. She grew up in Pretoria,South Africa. Elon went to Rondebosch High School in Cape Town, near mine of Westerford High School in Rondebosch. E&OE! In other words, I think my bio details are right & welcome corrections if any.
How soon will there be a charger here in Ottawa?!
Denzil

Kingston would be appropriate as Elon studied at Queen's University for a few years. His mother Maye was born there ("Mayebe") and worked in Toronto. She grew up in Pretoria,South Africa. Elon went to Rondebosch High School in Cape Town, near mine of Westerford High School in Rondebosch. E&OE! In other words, I think my bio details are right & welcome corrections if any.
How soon will there be a charger here in Ottawa?!
Denzil

The following bio shows a photo of him with his brother and grandmother visiting Toronto in 1992.
I believe his aunt and grandmother live in Alberta.

http://queensu.ca/news/alumnireview/rocket-man

I will be a new Tesla owner in about a month living in Ottawa. I travel to Toronto a lot and wondered what you meant by stopping at the BW Kingston as I am waiting for the Kingston SC station to open for trips to Toronto

Welcome and congrats on the upcoming Model S!

There is a Sun Country Highway charging station at the Best Western hotel in Kingston. It runs at 70A, so it (and others like it in Cobourg and Peterborough) are the best options until the Supercharger is available in Kingston. Check out the thread in the Canada forum on Ottawa - Toronto trip planning.

I drove to Toronto from Ottawa yesterday and we got as far as the Toronto SC without the usual Kingston stop. Not so easy in winter, though - we need the Kingston SC!

I will be a new Tesla owner in about a month living in Ottawa. I travel to Toronto a lot and wondered what you meant by stopping at the BW Kingston as I am waiting for the Kingston SC station to open for trips to Toronto.

Aussie Bob

Welcome to the Forum!

The Best Western Kingston provide 68 km / h of charge... One spot only and sometimes it's occupied by an ICE... always recommended to call the hotel before going there...

Enjoy your future Tesla!

I will be a new Tesla owner in about a month living in Ottawa. I travel to Toronto a lot and wondered what you meant by stopping at the BW Kingston as I am waiting for the Kingston SC station to open for trips to Toronto.

Aussie Bob

Welcome to the forums, and congrats on your imminently arriving vehicle !

Note that in order to use chargers (not superchargers) above 40A (like many of the Sun Country Highway stations in Canada, including the one at the Kingston BW), you need to have purchased the dual-charger option when you configured your car. If you only have a single charger, you can still use them, but at a considerably lower rate of charge.

Superchargers use DC to charge the main battery pack directly (bypassing the car chargers completely), and are thus unaffected by this option.

Highly recommended in Canada for the foreseable future.

Welcome to the Forum!

The Best Western Kingston provide 68 km / h of charge... One spot only and sometimes it's occupied by an ICE... always recommended to call the hotel before going there...

Enjoy your future Tesla!

Thanks. For tip. I will have dual chargers on car so can use Sum Mountain stops. Longer than SC stations though.

We need Kingston SC station.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. I have dual chargers ordered as I was aware of problem. Canada is better off than USA as Sun Mountain has 70and up services while most of USA stations are 40 or less.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. See comments below as I learn to use system.

No problem. I will keep a log of all my charging and distances etc :)

- - - Updated - - -

True, originally I thought an hour because there was no supercharger and i was planning on driving the speed limit but now with the Cornwall SC I can certainly lose a few more km of range between Montreal and Cornwall as I will be able to put them back in quickly :)

Hey znino, hope your trip went well!

Any numbers to share with us? ;)

------------

In case people didn't see it, here is the link for znino's Cornwall-Toronto trip informations...

Last edited: