Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Covington, LA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a characteristic of the supercharger installs that are going into Target parking lots. Target's deal with Tesla requires it.
Interesting. I don't see the need for slow L2 chargers in the first place as how long would you realistically be at Target for, an hour tops?

With Tesla going to have CCS soon I wonder if they abandon the L2's also. The new Gastonia, NC SuC is at a Target too if memory serves correctly, so I wonder if we will see L2's there.

Interesting. I don't see the need for slow L2 chargers in the first place as how long would you realistically be at Target for, an hour tops?

With Tesla going to have CCS soon I wonder if they abandon the L2's also. The new Gastonia, NC SuC is at a Target too if memory serves correctly, so I wonder if we will see L2's there.

Recent discovery of the permit for the Gastonia SuC shows that it is one shopping complex down from Target, in the outlying development between a Wal-Mart and a Lowe's Home Improvement store.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Reactions: Jeremy3292

I assume this is to accommodate non-Teslas. I assume Target didn’t want to support only Tesla charging. This way during permitting and press info Target can present how they are supporting most/all EVs.

See this older agreement

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlS
I don't see the need for slow L2 chargers in the first place as how long would you realistically be at Target for, an hour tops?
I don't know what Target (and other businesses that install L2s) were thinking, or if they were thinking at all. It could be that malls, restaurants, etc want to get in on the new EV game and don't really understand the best way to do it.
IMO, it would be better if they installed "slow" DCFC (24kW units), but those are probably a lot more expensive than L2s, so we get the L2s. I'm not complaining about new chargers (and I don't think you were either), we're just saying what might make things better.

I don't know what Target (and other businesses that install L2s) were thinking, or if they were thinking at all. It could be that malls, restaurants, etc want to get in on the new EV game and don't really understand the best way to do it.
IMO, it would be better if they installed "slow" DCFC (24kW units), but those are probably a lot more expensive than L2s, so we get the L2s. I'm not complaining about new chargers (and I don't think you were either), we're just saying what might make things better.

They might be thinking that it helps custom.
That Target also has a Starbucks concession, so maybe they think people might wander and stay a bit more if they can plug in.

Just checked yesterday and the transformer is on its pad. Nothing is live yet; checked the charging stalls, L2 chargers, and the transformer's power meter isn't on yet. It reads 150kva so I'm guessing that transformer is only for supporting the L2 chargers. Wasn't paying attention to what those pull, but if they're four 24kw units then the math roughly checks out.

The supercharger cabinets input says 387kva each, and there are 3 of them. No idea where the transformer is located for this. Anyone know?

Reactions: AudreyHTX1
I was there this weekend as well. I didn't realize that I could see what level they were. How do you differentiate L2 from DC fast charging?

I also charged at the Winn Dixie location in Metairie and it was packed. Lucky we got there when someone was leaving. I was talking to a couple who was outside of their Model 3 and heard that there are no other stations in the entire city of New Orleans AND not even any CCS chargers anywhere except for destination chargers. I looked on my EA app as well as the Plug Share app and saw nothing. Why would a city (or maybe it's a state thing) not provide EV stations? or is this a business decision on the part of, say, local Wal Marts or Targets?

How do you differentiate L2 from DC fast charging?
They're the smaller chargers that look different than a supercharger. Probably branded as Chargepoint

Why would a city (or maybe it's a state thing) not provide EV stations? or is this a business decision on the part of, say, local Wal Marts or Targets?
It's not a city's responsibility to provide chargers, nor is it the responsibility of a private business like WalMart or Target. Charging companies like Electrify America, EVgo, etc are the ones that install chargers. Most charging companies locate their chargers along a well-traveled route, not at a destination like New Orleans.
Having said that, Plugshare shows there are two "coming soon" public DCFC (CCS) and two DCFC (CCS) at auto dealerships in New Orleans.

They're the smaller chargers that look different than a supercharger. Probably branded as Chargepoint

It's not a city's responsibility to provide chargers, nor is it the responsibility of a private business like WalMart or Target. Charging companies like Electrify America, EVgo, etc are the ones that install chargers. Most charging companies locate their chargers along a well-traveled route, not at a destination like New Orleans.
Having said that, Plugshare shows there are two "coming soon" public DCFC (CCS) and two DCFC (CCS) at auto dealerships in New Orleans.
Cities and states can encourage charging infrastructure through zoning and incentives. (Louisiana will be the last on this train. Although Entergy provides home charger rebates.) And in the cases of Target, Walmart, Hiltons, and any other private businesses, they partner with Tesla, EA, Chargepoint, etc to make charging infrastructure happen at their places of business. There’s no sin in politely suggesting that private biz add charging—I believe this is how the chargers at the Southern Hotel came about.

Good morning, everyone. I am happy to report that the construction has begun. I took these pictures yesterday afternoon.

View attachment 842594
Good morning, everyone. I am happy to report some more progress!

It looks like we are very close!

Attachments

• IMG_2441.jpg
    IMG_2441.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2442.jpg
    IMG_2442.jpg
    889.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2443.jpg
    IMG_2443.jpg
    763.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2444.jpg