Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Darien CT Rest Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
General consensus is that the gray dot just south of Darien on the map is actually the Greenwich service area on the Merritt Parkway.

Please let that be true! However, my guess is that'd be less than 10 miles from Darien, granted on a different route. I'm not sure why Tesla is putting superchargers so close, but all the reasons mentioned so far are valid (busy Northeast corridor, wealthy area, etc). I think it probably has a lot to do with CT incentives. Unlike California or NJ which give incentives to the buyer, CT and the local utlity has been giving incentives for charging infrastructure. Hence, we have local libraries and train stations and store with EV chargers. My guess is Tesla is receiving incentives from the state. Add on top that many of these rest stops are being rebuilt from the ground up anyway...

Although, my question is why not put mutliple supercharger instead of one big location. That is, why not have 4 in Milford and 4 in Darien, rather than 8 in one location. The incremental cost (excluding the solar panels) has to be minimal. Same goes for CA. Why increase Barstow and not put ones in Primm? Supercharing and a visit to Whiskey Pete's!

I dont remember darien being this fast - 280 miles an hour? I think it was 302V and 200A when I first started charging (< 90 rated miles left).

The MPH sounds about right after doing some math based on the graph I posted back in ~January. I haven't SC'ed in a while and I never looked at MPH back then (it wasn't accurate), but ~270 @90 rated seems to line up.

There's another reason - Broder. Darien reduces by 29 miles the distance from Newark, DE, which could be important on a very cold winter day. Of course, they'll be adding another one in NJ it appears.

Another reason, is to make it manageable with a the range of a MS 60. It was quite a stretch to make it from Milford to Delaware.

So MS 85 owners should use Milford and leave Darien spots open for MS 60 owners ... :)

All -

Drove past the Darien, CT South service area yesterday - it's coming along nicely and hopefully should be open in the next few weeks.

What was new is that I finally saw the frames of the superchargers up (without the white metal outer case). The nice thing is that all 4 chargers are together and in the area in front by the gas pumps. Makes for more possible ICE'ing and I wish they would have put them back in the side main lot.

When they open, I'll stop by and make sure they put out cones like they have at Darien North - which are working quite well - have driven by multiple times and no ICE'ing!

Aaron

Update: Darien, CT South is now open but the superchargers are not completely built yet... Here are some pictures:

IMG_1310.jpg
IMG_1311.jpg
IMG_1312.jpg

Last edited:
For 3 phase power, multiply by square root of 3. (Well, and the power factor, but let's assume 1 for a second).
480 x 210 x 1.732 = 174 kW

Adding in a power factor of 70% (shouldn't be nearly that low, but it's not 1 either since it's a AC to DC transformer) you'll get:
480 x 210 x 1.732 x 0.7 = 122 kW

I realize this thread is more about locations than technical stuff - but for the record, let's quickly move into the 21st century. There will be no 30% loss for some power factor as EVERYONE building switch mode power systems today at these power levels is acutely aware that power factor correction delivers at most a 1% lost. So let's kiss off that calculation entirely.

The input is 480VAC at 3 phase, so the 1.732 factor is correct. Each phase can deliver current but it's not times 3, instead 'sqrt of 3'. With 174 kW applied, and charger ineffiencies included, the delivered current on this setup will be >333A dc into the traction pack. That's the desired 120 kW new and improved SuperCharger performance we all lust after! ;)

Ron (nerd in Silicon Valley)

Darien Southbound is live

Got the following email announcement from Tesla that Darien Southbound is now live:

crm_024_darian_supercharger_05_143x82_0.png

Darien, CT SouthboundSupercharger Now Open!
crm_map_marker_13x16.png
Connecticut Welcome Center

I-95 South Bound (Between Exits 10 and 11)
crm_clock_15x15.png
24 hrs/day
crm_lightning_bolt_13x21.png
Charging Stalls – 4
The planet’s fastest charging station is now just a road trip away! We are excited to announce the Darien, CT Southbound Supercharger location, offering more convenience for East Coast travel. With Darien Northbound, Milford, CT, Newark, DE included, this Supercharger location represents another milestone in the expansion of the Tesla Supercharger network on the East Coast. Model S customers can easily travel between Washington DC, New York and Boston for free, for life.

Incredibly Fast, Always Free
Superchargers can recharge half the capacity of Model S in as little as 20 minutes and are strategically placed to allow owners the ability to drive from station to station while minimizing stops. Superchargers are conveniently located off major highways near cafes, shopping centers and travel plazas.

I stopped at the Darien Southbound chargers this past weekend. I like the layout better than Milford or Darien North. There are 4 chargers sitting behind six marked spots that you back the car into to charge. The charge cables look long enough that they can service two spots each so even if one or two spaces are ICE'd (one was when I was there) you should still be able to access all of the chargers.

The Darien North rest area is bigger but as I was driving down I-95 it appeared that both chargers in the front of Darien north were ICE'd at 5PM on Sunday.

The Darien North rest area is bigger but as I was driving down I-95 it appeared that both chargers in the front of Darien north were ICE'd at 5PM on Sunday.

Ever since joining the Tesla family I've noticed some spots getting ICE'd in Darien North & South even while I sit there charging. These two new supercharger locations in Darien are a big reason behind my purchase of the Model S - never needing to charge at home with 8 charging spots, 5 minutes from my house. So lucky!

I purchased some gifts to stick on the driver side windows for those who can't read signs. These peel off easy but I have a special stash that are super sticky for repeat offenders. Here's a picture below.

Removable-Parking-Violation-Sticker-D-2057.gif