Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Destin, FL - US-98

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_1277.jpeg

IMG_1282.jpeg

Updated construction pics

It will be interesting see if they install any Magic Dock dispensers at this site (they could be V3 or V4). It's my understanding that if Tesla wants any of the NEVI money (5 billion), they must include support for CCS, plus now is the time that Tesla is opening up to other CCS vehicles... so I'm thinking probably so. It's gonna get interesting to start sharing Superchargers with non-Tesla vehicles that have charging ports in various locations.

Speaking of CCS, the FPL Evolution site in FWB at the HI Express on Hwy98 looks pretty much finished, transformer in place and all (I would post pics, but don't wanna spam up this SC thread). Not powered up yet as far as I could tell though. I picked up one of the CCS handles... man those things are massive and weigh a ton! I'd have to be desperate for juice to hang one of those onto my Tesla via an adapter! Seems like it could break the car's connector with all that weight. Geez, no wonder everyone wants to move to NACS.

I pass it every day and it seems to be moving fast. I never purchased my Tesla, because I love in a condo and have no charging. I can now with this Supercharger going in. Will the other non Tesla vehicles have to abide by the fees if they sit in a parking spot to long after they reach a certain charge level?

It may not be what everyone wants (Tesla Supercharger) but it looks like Florida Power and Light’s( FPL) Evolution Network is planning on stepping up its DC Fast Charging game in NW Florida.

Plugshare now shows “Coming Soon” addresses in Destin, Ft Walton Beach, and Inlet Beach. See the pictures for addresses.

Maybe the super sleuths could look for permit data. My guess is 6 months to a year before completion based on how long the new Pensacola location took.
Who can use these sites?

I pass it every day and it seems to be moving fast. I never purchased my Tesla, because I love in a condo and have no charging. I can now with this Supercharger going in. Will the other non Tesla vehicles have to abide by the fees if they sit in a parking spot to long after they reach a certain charge level?
Anyone who charges at a Tesla supercharger is subject to idle fees if they stay too long after the car is done charging.

In most instances, if they are just using it as a parking space then they are subject to towing. But enforcement varies from place to place.

Have you talked to your condo association about installing chargers? It's usually inexpensive and it's a nice amenity that makes the condos into more desirable properties.

Also, a lot of people don't know that you can charge a Tesla on a regular 120V outlet. If you have one outside your unit then that is sometimes an option. That's how my daughter charges her Tesla. It's slow but it gets the job done.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. Classic V3 dispensers. I kind of hope they don't have Magic Docks, because the site up in Prattville, AL that has MD, has been having some issues. I don't know for sure that MD is the reason, but you so rarely hear about issues at SC sites it just makes you wonder. Plus there will be the FPL CCS-1 just down the road at Fudpuckers as well as in FWB. Of course, non-Teslas can still user adapters... Ford is sending them out now to owners.

Who can use these sites?
In regards to the FPL Evolution CCS-1 stations from my original post…Mainly these would be used by non-Tesla vehicles that came with CCS-1 connections for their DC Fastcharging. However, all new Teslas made 2022 and after (except the Cybertruck) have the ability to use CCS stations as long as you purchase and adapter. Most of the Pre-2022 Tesla Models can also have a retrofit kit installed to allow CCS DC Fastcharging. Plenty of threads here on TMC about the topic. Just search “CCS1 Adapter” or “CCS Retrofit”

This is a first, plugging up almost seemed to be detected as a L2 charger but the session didn't start. I don't remember seeing this behavior at the Gulf Breeze location before it went live.

The charging screen came up automatically, and when my door was closed I had the "ready to charge" screen showing. My app showed the car plugged up but charger not ready.

Otherwise, it looks like everything is ready to go with the transformer in place.

Attachments

• 20240302_161118.jpg
    20240302_161118.jpg
    623.1 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Texshark